Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. And I never implied that.

I am saying the following:

-There is a rule system which doesn't exist in any other endurance event
-That rule system is not able to be enforced without knowing intent "In the moment".
-Because that rule system is not fully enforceable, people with no integrity or self-respect are given an advantage.
*This is what this thread is about.

So this leaves two end-game solutions:
1) Enforce the rules fully so that people can not break the rule and succeed.
2) Drop the rule because it may not be a relevant rule in the first place.

In order to do #1 in a fair manner, it must apply across the board to continue being a fair race.
In order to do #2, you match what every other endurance event does, but it changes the nature of the race.

I prefer #2. That is my point.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was an honest question, not a gotcha question. I am glad you do not like that it is that way - we are in agreement.

We just appear to disagree on our preferred solution. I would rather have a rule that holds up the sport as it should be, even if it cannot be perfectly enforced and may thereby give those willing to break it an opportunity to gain an unfair advantage over their competitors. Doping rules are this way. Hell, even drafting rules, with their supposed objectivity, are sometimes this way. I am certain there are other rules that suffer from this same imperfection.

I believe that you should write the rules as a model for the way the sport should be contested (I know should is a loaded word). I believe that you write the rules as though every competitor is perfectly ethical and will make knowing and following the rules to the letter their number one priority when they show up to race. You write the rules for a perfect race contested by perfect people. Then, because you know that it is a sport contested by human beings with all their various flaws, you endeavor to educate competitors on the rules as much as you can and to enforce the rules as best you can to make it as fair as you can.

Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [FastKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW....this post gets the "Stupidist of the Year" award.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [elwoodblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so harsh, Elwood.

She was unclear on the rules (and explained further down the thread that this was because she had seen others do it without penalty - which is a legit reason to be confused), asked an honest question, listened to the feedback and people's reasoning, and then explained that she did not want to do anything against the rules and that she would not employ the tactic now that she had clarity. I commend her for seeking out clarity on a rule she was legitimately unsure about and then committing not to break it even though some of her competitors were doing so without consequence.

Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [elwoodblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elwoodblues wrote:
WOW....this post gets the "Stupidist of the Year" award.

If someone came to triathlon via running I can see how they would not know.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Indeed - they have designated Pace-Bunnies, kitted out in special sponsors gear and often carrying a sign, in larger 1/2 and full marathons that run X-Pace. Just jump in and tag along. I note that in some marathons, the biggest groups, are the "Boston Qualifying" paces/times! :)

Why not in triathlon? :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Indeed - they have designated Pace-Bunnies, kitted out in special sponsors gear and often carrying a sign, in larger 1/2 and full marathons that run X-Pace. Just jump in and tag along. I note that in some marathons, the biggest groups, are the "Boston Qualifying" paces/times! :)

Why not in triathlon? :)

That is slightly different scenario since the pacers are announced and clearly marked. It isn't an advantage for any one specific person over another person.

But, I agree, if you come from running or cycling you would assume this is perfectly fine arrangement to have someone to race with.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, but you're allowed to have private pacers as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my husband pace me to KQ? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Correct, but you're allowed to have private pacers as well.

Of course, that was my second comment in the post above :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Have not read through the whole thread. However, it's ironic and interesting as my wife and I have been talking, "what if's" recently.

My wife who is a former Pro triathlete is contemplating a return to long distance racing, and a possible run at qualifying for her AG for IMH in '16 or '17. She's been goading me to consider having a go at it to ( It's remote that I would do this - but play along a bit here). She'd be in the 45 - 49 AG for women, and I would be in the 55 - 59 by then (I'm 54 now). There's a good chance that she will be able to go 10:30'ish and perhaps faster. I've done some number crunching and analysis of where I'm at now and where I could be in a year or two, and looked at the times in both the 50 -54 and 55 -59 AGs for men. Some of the men in the results I see and who have KQ'd I raced against years ago and I was competitive with them. Short story - all hypothetical, but I would possibly be in the 10:30'ish range as well. I think I can do that, and I would need to that or a bit faster to guarantee the KQ - thus my wife and I, would be close to one another out on the road in the race! :)

Woohaa…Flecks coming out of retirement!!!!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
That's brilliant....laying out a defense months in advance of pacing your wife.....or would she be pacing you?

Glad that's pink! :)

If this ever comes to pass, which is really remote, I am guessing it would be her pacing me! :)

I like the plan. I want Fleck to show up at an IM first though. then we can worry about accusing him of pacing his wife. My prediction is his wife goes 10 hours flat and Fleck ends up in 11:30-12 hours. Wife comes back to the finish line after a shower, steak, beer and desert asking him what happened, the answer to which is "I got older!!!"

Also women start after men in Kona, so Mrs, Fleck would blow by around Waikaloa or Kawaihai and say, "are you bonking or are you just slow?" (not sure if this should go in pink or not....what does Mrs. Fleck think)?
Quote Reply

Prev Next