Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boston 2012
Quote | Reply
Time to start freaking out about the weather. I sat out the nice last four years so it'll be terrible again this year. Northeasterly in 2007, heat this year?

Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
Time to start freaking out about the weather. I sat out the nice last four years so it'll be terrible again this year. Northeasterly in 2007, heat this year?

I'm going with 45 and sunny, 20mph tail wind.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as Kona hasn't been tough since 2004, Boston will be soft the next years?

Quote | Reply
I am doing the 5K on Sunday and the full Mary on Monday. At this point the weather.com 10 day outlook is saying 47/60 for Sunday with am clouds and pm sunshine. Monday will likely be much the same and should be basicly OK. I would be happier with the whole thing if it started at like 7 or 8 am. Back in the day (before there was so much global warming) it started at noon and the entry requirments were harder then what they are for next year. At least we have the Samuel Adams 26.2 beer at the end to look forward to. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be hot. We're due for a hot one. I'm preparing by running in full thermal gear on the treadmill with the vent hose from my clothes dryer blowing full blast on me.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelorider wrote:
Back in the day (before there was so much global warming) it started at noon and the entry requirments were harder then what they are for next year.

Oh please, spare us that. If you were half serious about running back then, qualifying was not the problem. But I'm getting old too and keep telling all teh newbies that they haven't seen a tough Kona. Nevermind "The Pit". But I digress, Sam Adams is sth to look forward to.

Quote | Reply
knobjob wrote:
I'm preparing by running in full thermal gear on the treadmill with the vent hose from my clothes dryer blowing full blast on me.

Pictures or...

Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
Just as Kona hasn't been tough since 2004, Boston will be soft the next years?

Ok, 90, 100% humidity, 35 mph headwind, stinky porta pots and men in g-strings.....better?

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the worst that can happen in Boston in April?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump wrote:
What's the worst that can happen in Boston in April?

We got a foot of snow on April 1st my freshman year at BU...we are a full 15 days after that so we should be OK:) It's going to be my first marathon so I'm hoping we don't need the snowshoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you hold any faith in long term forecasts, Accuweather.com has a high of 66 F with rain.

We'll start to get a better idea by thursday/friday.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More disconcerting would be the wind for that day: 11 MPH sustained SW, gusts to 27 MPH.

I don't mind the temperature and the rain...can't be worse than what we had for Maine Marathon this past year.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't trust an east coast forecast until the day before. 10-15 days out is lunacy. But it has been a while since there was a hot race. And I'm a hot weather pussy. Anything over about 62 and I melt like the wicked witch.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ok, 90, 100% humidity, 35 mph headwind, stinky porta pots and men in g-strings.....better?

Awesome! (except the g-strings) Adverse conditions are the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hoping the stars align for really great weather to help out my lack of training that i needed to do or really bad so i have an excuse for my sub par performance.
on a side note, how does boston become someones first marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
More disconcerting would be the wind for that day: 11 MPH sustained SW, gusts to 27 MPH.

I don't mind the temperature and the rain...can't be worse than what we had for Maine Marathon this past year.

That would be a tailwind the entire way since the course is point-to-point. I'll take it as long as its not a downpour.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [wilsumbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boston has a fair number of charity fundraiser slots for Children's Hospital, Team in Training, and a few others. Then there are a few invitational entries given to sponsors, vendors, etc.

Anybody who has a spot like this and has not run a qualifying time will be at the end of the field, placed behind everybody who ran a qualifier. So if you're in the first waves, don't worry about having to run through some first-timers.

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [wilsumbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wilsumbody wrote:
hoping the stars align for really great weather to help out my lack of training that i needed to do or really bad so i have an excuse for my sub par performance.

Hahaha, same here!

Quote | Reply
Just wanted to bump this. It appears to be the only Boston thread. The race is a week away. There needs to be more buzz, even if only for dunkin donuts or regina pizza. Get on with it, people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

That would be a tailwind the entire way since the course is point-to-point. I'll take it as long as its not a downpour.

SW would pretty much be a headwind - it comes from the south west.

Personally, I just want temps less than 65 or so with not much headwind. I could deal with some rain, but a headwind can be brutal on a pretty exposed course like Boston.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh? If it comes from the SW on a course facing NE, how is that a headwind?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, I like donuts. Dunkin' or anyone else's. Got any hot tips for donut shops in the Back Bay general area?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [andrewintown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewintown wrote:
Fair enough, I like donuts. Dunkin' or anyone else's. Got any hot tips for donut shops in the Back Bay general area?

Dunkin is pretty much the only thing you will find in Back Bay as far as Donuts go. You can't go more than a block without seeing one...Boston Native here who is running. Happy to point out restaurants etc. if anyone is interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed! And yes, you're correct, a SW wind would be pretty close to a tail wind the entire way.

To continue the weather-related panicking, forecast on Accuweather calls for rain, 59 degrees, SSW wind at 19 with gusts to 35. Wunderground calls for sun, 63 degrees, 20 MPH west wind.

No donuts for me, although I will stop by to my old college stomping grounds (Emerson) and probably hit up New York Pizza and grab a beer at The Tam. (If anybody knows this area, these are the two holes-in-the-wall that a college budget could afford. Good times.)

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping for a dry start because waiting in the Athlete's area is gonna be a pain anyway but with getting soaked will add to the "suck" factor. Another negative for rain, I would have to leave my phone as I was hoping to get some action shots as I run throughout the course. It's my first ever Boston and wanted to capture some of that legendary course. With the hotter than usual early spring so far out on the east coast(DC), I was hoping for a nice freak 70+ degree day which would probably translate to 60s during the race. I'm a cold wimp plus nice weather has got to make Wellesley a better experience.

The wind shouldn't be a problem with the amount of people, I'll be drafting if there is any headwind at all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next