Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Why will Dan not make any comments on my fit?

Because as a professional giving out free advice doesn't pay our bills. Want a fit, go pay for it.

How do we know you got a crap fit? Because you wouldn't be here asking for help with it.

Trust me, no matter how many, or who else I get a bike fit from, I would post and ask thoughts.

Oh well, when folks ask me if I would coach them, I say no way would I take folks money, but I will give
them thought any time for free. What you give, it what you get.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Because as a professional giving out free advice doesn't pay our bills. Want a fit, go pay for it.

How do we know you got a crap fit? Because you wouldn't be here asking for help with it.

Trust me, no matter how many, or who else I get a bike fit from, I would post and ask thoughts.

Oh well, when folks ask me if I would coach them, I say no way would I take folks money, but I will give

Dave - Dan was heavily involved in my thread on fit (note to JustinNorCal - you are wrong on this point). But the difference between your thread and mine is that I was fit first, posted the coordinates, and then only then asked questions about it. Eventually, I had my fitter join the thread and a discussion between Dan and the fitter ensued, and I ended up getting refit by the same guy. You've made adjustments to your fit on this thread. Did your fitter provide you the coordinates or was he just winging it?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/ST_-_Pick_My_Next_Tri_Bike_from_this_MUVE_fit_data!_P4637049/?search_string=huffnpuff%20bike%20fit#p4637049
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Third video looks much better to me; D helped you a lot in my opinion.
Looking at the vid, seems like seat needs to be slightly higher and your seat pushed forward a bit.
Though your knees do come pretty close to your elbows.
That said, raising the seat may compensate for the knee/elbow closeness.
Then try riding around at 95-100 rpm and see how that feels.

Also, you gotta do what you feel confident and comfortable doing regardless of so many opinions.
And kudos to you for keep trying to improve.
That's what this sport is all about, isn't it?

Thanks.

I keep listening to inputs. Some of us like to learn and try things ourselves. Others have money to spend and get expert help which is great.

I tipped my saddle down more yesterday since I like to be able to move back and forth on the seat.

I road for years with the seat at 5mm before the BB. Now being 50 behind the BB it feels weird. But, seem logical I want to get the knee back compared to the pedal.

As I put the darn seat higher, the darn bars, for me, just seem to be getting lower than I feel comfortable in. But since they are as high as they can go, have to get another stem to move them up.

You going to race the draft legal Golden state Sunday? First time I can give the bike with all the changes a try.

Thanks for the inputs

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was a fair post, but he decided to delete, so here it is

Dave,

I swear I'm not trying to trash you, but let's look at the situation objectively for a moment. You asked a few weeks ago for input on Curtis and Revolutions in Fitness, and got favorable reviews of them. Instead of going this route, you opted for some other fitter and got some less-than desirable results. Instead of seeking out a more qualified fitter, you've embarked on this odyssey to fit yourself with everyone's input here. When I suggest that you'd be better off simply going to see Curtis (or David in the same office, if you want a lower rate) you make up excuses about being tall and long cranks, and a 4 hour drive and whatnot. You've probably invested 10x the time it would take you to drive down there, get fit, and drive home in this thread. You'll likely have spent as much money trying out different stems and saddles (plus the cost of the original bad fit) as the fit would cost. Let's say I could only give you one of two pieces of advice:

1) Raise your saddle 10mm and drop your bars 10mm

or...

2) Go see a professional fitter and get fit properly and stop wasting time and money

One of these pieces of advice you would thank me for, and tell me that I'm being helpful. The other, you would dismiss out of hand. The funny part is that the right answer is #2, and yet you believe that people feeding you #1 are somehow helping you and people suggesting #2 are just tearing you down. I mean this in the best way possible... there's nothing special about you. Curtis has fit the likes of Chris Lieto, Christian Vande Velde, Chris Horner, Andrew Talansky, Caroline Gregory, Kristen Sanders and on and on. They can get your fit dialed in. This thread is not going to get you where you need to be.

Curtis is probably a great guy. I am just not willing, yet, to drive that far and spend that much money on my hobby.

I am not comfortable, at my age, having the bars as low as many I guess are able to do. As I keep raising the seat, they sure keep getting lower.

Thanks for the inputs. I am listening, even though you and others feel unless it is your way at your speed, I am not.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave - Dan was heavily involved in my thread on fit (note to JustinNorCal - you are wrong on this point). But the difference between your thread and mine is that I was fit first, posted the coordinates, and then only then asked questions about it. Eventually, I had my fitter join the thread and a discussion between Dan and the fitter ensued, and I ended up getting refit by the same guy. You've made adjustments to your fit on this thread. Did your fitter provide you the coordinates or was he just winging it?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/ST_-_Pick_My_Next_Tri_Bike_from_this_MUVE_fit_data!_P4637049/?search_string=huffnpuff%20bike%20fit#p4637049

So, you got fit by an expert. Asked for inputs from ST, and Dan and others gave you some. Then it seems folks on ST stayed your expert fitter was not right, and he fit you again. But the second time was right, but not the first.

See, this is what I keep hearing. Get 10 experts, and you will end up with around 10 results.

This is why I am taking all the inputs I am getting, trying things, and just see what I feel comfortable with.

I loved asking a friend of mine who is at the very very top of our sport in my AG. When I talked to him about bit fit he just came back and said back to me
" u will spin more lol ...bike fitters bullshit,get some hills in to strengthen those good running legs you have there !"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

So, you got fit by an expert. Asked for inputs from ST, and Dan and others gave you some. Then it seems folks on ST stayed your expert fitter was not right, and he fit you again. But the second time was right, but not the first.

See, this is what I keep hearing. Get 10 experts, and you will end up with around 10 results.

This is why I am taking all the inputs I am getting, trying things, and just see what I feel comfortable with.

I loved asking a friend of mine who is at the very very top of our sport in my AG. When I talked to him about bit fit he just came back and said back to me
" u will spin more lol ...bike fitters bullshit,get some hills in to strengthen those good running legs you have there !
"

Now comes the popcorn!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

(snip)

Thanks for the inputs. I am listening, even though you and others feel unless it is your way at your speed, I am not.

I decided to delete that post because I realized that this advice was falling on deaf ears and I'm done with this thread. I really don't care if you do things "my way" (by the way, recommending that you seek out the services of a qualified fitter is hardly "my way"). Best of luck to you, whichever way you proceed.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

(snip)

I decided to delete that post because I realized that this advice was falling on deaf ears and I'm done with this thread. I really don't care if you do things "my way" (by the way, recommending that you seek out the services of a qualified fitter is hardly "my way"). Best of luck to you, whichever way you proceed.

I just do not understand why you, and other have to resort to personal attacks. Just because I do things differently, or at different speeds, or in different ways, the only way you deal with things like this in life is to personally attack?

And yep, why some read threads, let alone post on threads they have no interesting in providing positive supportive ideas is beyond me.

I did listen to your, and many other inputs. Sorry if I am not meeting your expectations in doing things only your way, but I am listening and trying stuff.
Maybe you just have more money and time to spend than I do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
a bike fit where the fitter was able to start with changing bike crank lengths based on the person height and type of riding, like hills or flats, and used this to help in the fit? So far I have not found a person who said this happened.

Do you consider first order effects more important than third order effects? If so, why the do you insist that the fit proceed by your conditions?

Also, overall height isn't nearly as big of fit issue as being short is. Tall people aren't really any different that regular sized people. The numbers are just bigger. Short people have more impediments to proper bike fit. Again, your insistence on nonsensical conditions is comical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

One thing I am looking for in a fitter, is the ability to show they have dealt with tall folks.

There really isn't a difference in fitting taller people vs shorter people, at least as far as determining a good position. The issue comes from translating that fit to an actual bike.

Quote:
Have the experience and tools to show they have used crank lengths as part of their base fit process. So far I have yet to find a person who can show they have this experience.

All of the dynamic fit bikes that I've seen (Guru, Retul, etc) have adjustable length cranks.

Quote:
So, who has had a bike fit where the fitter was able to start with changing bike crank lengths based on the person height and type of riding, like hills or flats, and used this to help in the fit? So far I have not found a person who said this happened.

Why would you *start* with crank length? Most people can ride a fairly wide range of crank lengths with little to no impact on performance when in a position with an open hip angle. Its when you start closing that angle that length really starts to matter. Changing to a shorter crank opens up that angle. The gains people see when changing crank length are not due to the crank's length, but by the position the cranks allow...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Oct 4, 17 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is the fixation on crank length. You are not so tall. I know people a lot taller than you. You are only two inches taller than me. No fitter ever saw this as an impediment to my fit.

I am on 170mm cranks and would go lower if I ran into a set at the right price. The first video looks ludicrous in length. Everyone keeps saying so, but you don't like that answer.

Also, looking at that Gobi saddle: why chose a MTB saddle for a TT bike? It is entirely the wrong direction for the vast majority of riders on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
The problem is the fixation on crank length. You are not so tall. I know people a lot taller than you. You are only two inches taller than me. No fitter ever saw this as an impediment to my fit.

I am on 170mm cranks and would go lower if I ran into a set at the right price. The first video looks ludicrous in length. Everyone keeps saying so, but you don't like that answer.

Also, looking at that Gobi saddle: why chose a MTB saddle for a TT bike? It is entirely the wrong direction for the vast majority of riders on a TT bike.

Fair comment. And I admit, it is tough to change. BUT, I am testing. I rode 160's, 165's, and then 170's in testing. Doing 175's tomorrow. Just going to take time for me to see. I still want to ride my bike up in the hills with the shorter cranks and just see if the gearing can resolve my mental block. So I am trying to let the data drive my bike setup, not my bias.

I already changed tons of stuff from the first video, so not sure why you brought it up. It was just where I was as a starting point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brought it up because it was part of my what I was saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

Bike seat. Some like it one way, others other ways. Am not saying where I will end up, but, trying different things different folks are suggesting. I may end up with a nice collection of saddles folks can try. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that saddles are a personally choice, but that seems like a very low yield saddle choice for someone who desperately needs forward hip rotation. That saddle is very much build not to have forward hip rotation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren’t you like 6’3-6’5?? I mean it’s not like you are 7’6. Your height is hardly beyond the scope of something a qualified bike fitter would be able to address.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

Bike seat. Some like it one way, others other ways. Am not saying where I will end up, but, trying different things different folks are suggesting. I may end up with a nice collection of saddles folks can try. :)

An easier way to test saddles would be going to a bike fitter and trying a range of saddles for free as part of the fit. For the cost of a few saddles, you could get a bike fit and have way better outcomes.

Or sell a velotron and pay for a fit, the travel for a few days and some spending money for Disney...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great recommendation. And speaking of fit and trying saddles, I wonder if Slowman will ever do another saddle tour. I took advantage of that and was able to try numerous saddles on a MUVE that was set up to my coordinates. I ended up buying one I would never have picked otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
I get that saddles are a personally choice, but that seems like a very low yield saddle choice for someone who desperately needs forward hip rotation. That saddle is very much build not to have forward hip rotation.

Yep, I may have ended up spending money on this saddle for nothing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG sir, you need to just stop. Why do you ask for advice here if you refuse to take it? This thread is PAINFUL to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Attention is why
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
OMG sir, you need to just stop. Why do you ask for advice here if you refuse to take it? This thread is PAINFUL to read.

On the contrary, with the amount of hypothetical popcorn I've eaten... I'm bursting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next