Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions
Quote | Reply
Okay. I've got a budget of 2500 and within that budget I can get a Cannondale Slice with Ultegra, or a Felt B12 with Ultegra. Slightly over my budget but greatly discounted I can get a Scott plasma 10. These are all new. Thoughts, advice, insults?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [martinduathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a scott plasma and I love it. For the money, I would buy the scott, or the Felt. (probably the felt)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input. The Scott has carbon bars and a carbon crank making it two pounds lighter; I'm relatively new to Triathlon and don't know if that's worth an added 500 duckets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
martinduathlete wrote:
Thanks for your input. The Scott has carbon bars and a carbon crank making it two pounds lighter; I'm relatively new to Triathlon and don't know if that's worth an added 500 duckets.

No one can tell you how much your money is worth to you. I am a broke college kid with no money but tons of time to train, so ... money's worth a lot.

That said, weight doesn't make as big a difference as bike companies want you to believe. Very few tris are "hilly", so the weight is only a penalty if you repeatedly have to re-accelerate it. Is two pounds worth $500? That's a bit more than a full water bottle. Probably not right now, especially considering you could find those items on the secondhand market later if you decide you need them.

That said: All of these bikes are going to be awesome. Find one that you like, that speaks to you (ie, is really, really pretty) and you'll spend more time riding it.
Last edited by: dashmutton: Mar 11, 13 18:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd spring for the Plasma because I'm pretty sure it would be faster. Some TriRig brakes, decent wheels, and slick aerobars and you'd be in great shape with that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are tririg brakes better than stock brakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I'd spring for the Plasma because I'm pretty sure it would be faster. Some TriRig brakes, decent wheels, and slick aerobars and you'd be in great shape with that one.

If you put the TriRig, wheels, and a slick aerobar on the Felt, you'd be doing well. I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

What about the Felt DA4? I've seen some 2012's discounted quite a bit pretty close to your price range, it's one of the bikes I may pull the trigger on in the next week or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I thought the Felt came out faster in testing? The plasma premium tested extremely well, the regular plasmas not so much.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [mxf1013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you put the TriRig, wheels, and a slick aerobar on the Felt, you'd be doing well.

You might be right... that frame looks pretty decent too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the new Plasma 10 is still the Plasma 2 frame, which wasn't bad but it's definitely not the new Plasma 3. Of course, I could be mistaken, but I remember thinking that when I was looking at the Plasmas.

The B12 is the new DA frame just with a standard fork, and looks pretty slick.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [dashmutton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dashmutton wrote:
That said, weight doesn't make as big a difference as bike companies want you to believe. Very few tris are "hilly", so the weight is only a penalty if you repeatedly have to re-accelerate it.

Dang. Can you bike the splits for me? All the ones I do in Wisconsin sure feel hilly when I'm doing them.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen this? It may be informative: http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Clockwise_3370.html
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
dashmutton wrote:
That said, weight doesn't make as big a difference as bike companies want you to believe. Very few tris are "hilly", so the weight is only a penalty if you repeatedly have to re-accelerate it.

Dang. Can you bike the splits for me? All the ones I do in Wisconsin sure feel hilly when I'm doing them.

I don't doubt that they do. But hilly enough that 2lb of bike weight makes an appreciable difference in your finish time? Better check analytic cycling.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one fits you the best and/ or is the most comfortable? Get that one.

If all else is the same, choose on price. Get the cheaper one and now you have cash for other gear.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are comparing apples with apples.
Buy the one that makes you want to forget all your responsabilities and go out to ride :0)

Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [dashmutton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a question, wouldn't the extra $500 be better spent towards a better set of wheels, lighter and more aero. I mean isn't the rotating weight decrease worth more than a frame weight decrease when climbing? Just a question I had before I spend my money in the wrong place.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have wheels so if I save dough it would go towards shoes, pedals, an aero helmet and maybe an elliptical to use when I strain my calf muscle next. I appreciate all the advice. It sounds like I need a fitting first, then a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmsumpter wrote:
Just a question, wouldn't the extra $500 be better spent towards a better set of wheels, lighter and more aero. I mean isn't the rotating weight decrease worth more than a frame weight decrease when climbing? Just a question I had before I spend my money in the wrong place.

More aero, yes. Lighter wheels also is a red herring for triathletes.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
martinduathlete wrote:
I have wheels so if I save dough it would go towards shoes, pedals, an aero helmet and maybe an elliptical to use when I strain my calf muscle next. I appreciate all the advice. It sounds like I need a fitting first, then a bike.

Yep. I'd take that $500 and spend $250 on a fit, plus I'd get sized for helmets and shoes. Then I'd come here and get a used helmet and shoes from the boards -- some pretty great deals floating around.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [Recuerda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a BMC TM02 either with 105 or Ultegra ?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Decisions, decisions, decisions [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love a BMC TM with Ultegra too. Do you have one within my budget?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Palace Bike have a LG and SM in stock for $2000

http://www.palace-bike.com/products.php?788&sid=d49f62e3d1fd36d0c4a1e296479e822d

If they don't fit and you can live with 105 R & A have 2012 model for $50 over your budget

http://www.racycles.com/product/bmc-time-machine-tm02-105-bike

Probably a good idea to test ride and then consider
Quote Reply