Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Damage in Trainer?
Quote | Reply
I have started riding my road bike on a new trainer in the basement to get through the winter. On a quality bike (I ride a Cervelo) - does using it locked in the trainer have any detrimental effects on the natural flex of the frame when riding in the trainer as opposed to the way the bike was designed to be ridden - on the road? It would seem to me that it might impact the frame stiffness or shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Damage in Trainer? [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myth. Unless you're doing something really strange to it.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Damage in Trainer? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asssume that a trainer wouldn't put any unexpected pressure on carbon stays?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Damage in Trainer? [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your trainer clamps the skewer, and not the stays: no.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should also ask about over tightening, the vice, and, I would loosen the press-on force--I believe that I bent my "whatever it is called" that the skewer goes through, by roughly removing the bike from the stand. (aluminum)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a post similar to yours a few weeks ago. The replies that I received (from guys like Tom D) said that if is virtually impossible to damage a frame in a trainer. I also have a Cervelo P3 and I was told the stress testing that they do on the bike far exceeds what you could ever do to it in a trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cowtippers..I would be more concerned about breaking the trainer. I have claim to that one (twice now). Busted some plastic piece that can't be replaced. Bike never had a problem, still questioning what in the World I have done. I rode close to a minimum of 10 hrs a week on the trainer for the past 2 yrs. No problems with the bike except one slow rider. No clue if riding the trainer adversly affected my speed, or I have just become lazy. I wouldn't worry about the bike if it is set on there correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is possible, because you will fix the bike where the bike is not fixed on the road. the contribution of loadings and stresses are different. the rear ends are not designed for trainers. rollers from TACX, like the SPORTTRACK, prevent this. You will find it on the tacxwebpage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about really strange, but my rear wheel has gone out of round and I'm pretty sure the flywheel is not to tight.

J
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Damage in Trainer? [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JG wrote: ...my rear wheel has gone out of round...

That's not a trainer problem, that's a wheel problem...what is the proposed mechanism of damage to your wheel?

I'm not an expert, having only seen my trainer stuff with about 5-6 other people's trainers...total history of maybe 20 bikes and 30 wheels. But, take someone like Tom D., who rides on a trainer, personally sees lots of others that ride them, and has scads of customers who ride them: when Tom says trainers don't cause problems to the bike (as long as they are used as designed), I believe him. Keep the sweat out of the headset and other crevices, keep the bike clean, etc. No problems from a trainer....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very likely the problem is a crappy old wheel under stress. I'm not worried about it. My youngest son turns 16 tomorrow and my trainer bike is older than he is.

J
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Damage in Trainer? [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the problem is a crappy old wheel under stress

Yep, I bet you're right!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for Kinetic. There has never been a reported incidence of any bike being damaged in any trainer that I am aware of. If it happened in ours, we'd fix it, and if it happened in someone else's trainer, I'd use it to sell ours.
Quote Reply