Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Yup, I'm interested in this as well. We are in the US and about three years away from the post-retirement move. So, we've been identifying places to visit as scouting trips. I'm a duathlete, so no worries about swimming/pools. My preliminary thinking is dominated by climate plus endurance sports community plus my spouse's interests (but TV is available pretty much everywhere :/). I'm interested in all of the recommendations here. We've visited Belize (I could do that, spouse not so much). Next trip (soon) is west coast FL (her choice). I'm up next, so I'd like to pick a place that might appear on this list as a recommendation...

We are a long ways off from moving but in 20-30 years we'll be in the 70-80 age range. Taking care of our off-grid land/property/home will end up being a burden someday. Or we will just be tired of it all and the 6 months of cold. We may someday sell our mountain homestead and become ex pats someplace warm and sunny. To still be active (swimming mostly and maybe some biking/mountain biking) we have considered the ABC Islands, Barbados/St Lucia (love them both for open water swimming), and the Canary Islands. Belize sounds interesting too. I would think you would be off-road/dirt road cycling? (which would be great for us)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [scb999!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scb999! wrote:
Hey Slowtwitch. Really need some help here please. Moving to USA and wanting some advice on which towns/areas are highly recommended.
What I’m looking for:
1.Great cycling roads and routes. Road conditions must be really good.
2. Swimming pools.
3.Variety running routes.
4.Good vibe town and culture.
5. Road safety obviously.
6.Nice people.

I have currently been in Tucson for a bit and can’t really speak highly of the cycling because road conditions are shocking. It’s also a much older community it seems.
Heard Boulder is great but also heard it’s very clicky.
Other places I’m interested are Asheville, Greensboro, Austin, St George and The Central Coast.

But like I mentioned I really am not sure and unsure of the USA and the best place to base myself for my sport. I don’t need to be located in a downtown or in the city area and happy to be on the outskirts.

Thanks again and appreciate anyone who can help a guy out

I would not consider Austin in this calculus at all. The infrastructure for cycling is pretty meh and it's growing so fast without good planning around roads to support future growth of motorists let alone cycling. The lake path for running is pretty dope though.

Sbernardi wrote:
Come on up to Phoenix. Hills. Flats. Trails. Pools. Lakes. Good roads. Lots of racing. 5-7hr drive to lots of places.

Great triathlon community. Still not ridiculously priced to live.

If only Phoenix had extended the Rio Salado Trail along with the 202 extension to hit the Pecos Mixed Use Path!

Have to say overall we're doing pretty good, still some work to be done with cycling infrastructure, but the various towns seem to be listening. Also TTL wasn't such a cesspit and we could swim in it more often lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 13, 21 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's interesting that no one has mentioned anywhere in CA. Phil Gaimon claims Malibu is the best place to ride, Holly Lawrence seems to get along okay there as well. Wouldn't be my personal choice, but surprised it hasn't come up as an option.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think up north is a good place for triathlon. I vote for Houston. Warm climate, ocean is near by and triathlon community is big. I went there for a local Sprint tri and damn, 1000+ people showed up. They have a lot of lakes and ponds so it's heaven for OWS. I don't think people are friendly to cyclists, but they have a plenty of back roads you can take. They have group rides everywhere and every weekend. Only concern is no hills and rains a lot in some months. Mostly, scattered thunderstorms though. Winter is not that cold, so basically you can do outdoor activities year round. Gas is always cheap there if you care. Galveston is no Hawaii, but it's better than nothing. You can fly to Cancun, Cozumel easily and Cruise dock is right there in Galveston too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scb999! wrote:
Hey Slowtwitch. Really need some help here please. Moving to USA and wanting some advice on which towns/areas are highly recommended.
What I’m looking for:
1.Great cycling roads and routes. Road conditions must be really good.
2. Swimming pools.
3.Variety running routes.
4.Good vibe town and culture.
5. Road safety obviously.
6.Nice people.

I have currently been in Tucson for a bit and can’t really speak highly of the cycling because road conditions are shocking. It’s also a much older community it seems.
Heard Boulder is great but also heard it’s very clicky.
Other places I’m interested are Asheville, Greensboro, Austin, St George and The Central Coast.

But like I mentioned I really am not sure and unsure of the USA and the best place to base myself for my sport. I don’t need to be located in a downtown or in the city area and happy to be on the outskirts.

Thanks again and appreciate anyone who can help a guy out

where do you ride in tucson? some of the roads are not great, but this can be greatly mitigating by choosing better/different equipment/accessories. i've ridden bikes in asheville, blowing rock, north georgia, charlotte, rural virginia, tucson, and scottsdale. other than the blowing rock area, tucson had the best routes/options by FAR.

tucson is not particularly old, it is a college town. do you live in oro valley/marana? or maybe starr pass? those areas are older, demographically. to be honest there is no place in the US that combines a phenomenal cost of living with outdoor activity availability.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that my plan is to consider traditional retirement needs, only some of which overlap with multisport (climate mostly, but maybe medical facilities :/). So, also looking for low cost of living, community of folks with similar ages, etc. We also like to travel, so good access to air travel has some weight. There are plenty of 'experts' making suggestions for retirement locations. I think that I'll look at the intersection of those cities with the multisport locations recommended here, then filtered by other, personal factors. I suppose that I'd prefer to be away from places that may not offer sustainable living in the future (just a semi-informed guess), but high summer temps and water resource concerns are potential issues that reduce enthusiasm for some otherwise interesting places. And I'm willing to train inside during some/most of the winter if too cold/wet. Overall, it seems like VA/NC might fit, or some of the warmer states if a location with some elevation fits. I'm not sure about two location per year living, but it's not out of the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pretty good situation. With homes in Phoenix and Flagstaff, got great weather for the entire year and great training grounds in each location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not Boulder but my wife and I just spent a few days in the Loveland and Fort Collins area just to the north. Our son is a student at CSU. Area seemed really nice, much more affordable, not as cramped as Boulder, and very cycling friendly and lots of trails to run on. Not sure about pools though as that's not my thing anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the Salt lake City area and I love it. However, you do have to deal with the trainer a few months in the winter. My dream location is St. George. No snow and reasonable temperatures in the early mornings during the Summer. You also have a lot of pools available, buttery smooth roads, awesome outdoor scenery and trails, and a community that is very friendly to all things endurance sports. I would look for a place in Hurricane or Washington, which is right outside of St. George proper. It's a mid size town but you are only 2 hours away from Vegas and 4 hours away from Salt Lake City.

I also would like to explore other options like Santa Fe, New Mexico. Not sure about the tri scene there but it sounds like a drop dead gorgeous place to live.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
If I could live 6 months anywhere during our long winters I'd go to the Canary Islands. That's where many European pros spend winter training :-)

Canary Islands are high on my list. Just a real pain to travel to from Canada. 24 hours in transit. Ugh.

I one skipped a winter by going to Adelaide. Highly recommend as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you just read my mind. Places in southern Utah and New Mexico could be absolute paradise with mild climates.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

If I could live 6 months anywhere during our long winters I'd go to the Canary Islands. That's where many European pros spend winter training :-)

Canary Islands are high on my list. Just a real pain to travel to from Canada. 24 hours in transit. Ugh.

Yes, flights are not easy from North America. Right before the pandemic we had flights booked to Lanzarote. April 2020, we were supposed to fly from Boston to I think Madrid and then to Arrecife. Plus it's a 3-4 hour drive to Logan from our house up north. Very long trip! (ETA: we canceled trip due to covid in case that wasn't obvious)

But I do think the Canary Islands would be ideal for triathlon training and a nice laid-back lifestyle. Plenty of pools, the ocean, all kinds of road and mountain biking, trail running too. Ideal climate. My dream is to do IM Lanzarote someday.

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Oct 13, 21 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
You might consider Maui, as it is likely the very best place in the USA for what you are looking for, as it has very good roads with some of the best cycling outside of Europe (including new tarmac that is oh so smooth and many bike lanes to provide more room and better safety). From massive climbs to rolling hilly terrain and flat fast stuff, there is good riding everywhere.

There is great swimming at many beaches, and Kihei has a good pool as does Lahaina. The weather is near perfect year round. One can also pop over to Kona for a training camp for a slightly different experience.

I have a friend who just bought a home there, and outside of the major tourist areas, the prices are much more affordable, if that is a concern.

I rode with a couple locals last time in Maui and we had a discussion about riding the same routes all the time and they said they never get bored.
They told me Kihei/Wailea is the best place to live as a cyclist.
There are also pools in Pukalani and Wailuku as well and they're always free. However, limited options if you want to swim early morning or late afternoon. 10-4 is the norm.
The running is ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Yes, flights are not easy from North America. Right before the pandemic we had flights booked to Lanzarote. April 2020, we were supposed to fly from Boston to I think Madrid and then to Arrecife. Plus it's a 3-4 hour drive to Logan from our house up north. Very long trip!

But I do think the Canary Islands would be ideal for triathlon training and a nice laid-back lifestyle. Plenty of pools, the ocean, all kinds of road and mountain biking, trail running too. Ideal climate. My dream is to do IM Lanzarote someday.

I ride a lot of gravel now and there are some insane gravel roads I can see on Tenerife and La Gomera I want to go ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Yes, flights are not easy from North America. Right before the pandemic we had flights booked to Lanzarote. April 2020, we were supposed to fly from Boston to I think Madrid and then to Arrecife. Plus it's a 3-4 hour drive to Logan from our house up north. Very long trip!

I ride a lot of gravel now and there are some insane gravel roads I can see on Tenerife and La Gomera I want to go ride.

If you get back out there to do some gravel riding, please report back. I love gravel riding!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem well traveled. Have you been to Aruba? I was looking into it for a while before covid. And it looks like if you go to the other side of the island (less touristy places) there is some good mountain biking. And they have a triathlon scene. Right now they seem to have some shorter distance triathlons but used to have a 70.3. And it also looks like they hosted some half and full marathons.

Or anyone else have input on Aruba? I think the sister islands might be more our speed but the ABCs are on my radar too for a future vacation or place to live in 20-30 years with an athletic scene.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in metro Phoenix for 6-7 months a year and it is a great place for multisport training and racing. Excellent roads (maybe not so good in parts of the city of Phoenix), pools, and running options. Multiple running races every weekend. The mountain biking and trail systems are probably the best for any large metro area in the US. But the summers - way too hot for me. If I did not have the option to leave every summer I would not live here.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burlington, Vermont. Hear me out before you tell me how cold it is:

Great roads for riding - a very rural state with an immense road network gives a wide range of options. Some of the best gravel in the US. Lots of great pavement, longish and steepish climbs and long stretches of flats in the valley if you need it. You can pretty much ride comfortably from Mid-April to Nov 1.

Great running - year round, never run out of options. Beautiful mountain runs, easy bike path runs along the lake. Running in the dead of winter is a badge of honor and really fun.

Couple decent pool options.

Fantastic cross-training options with downhill and XC skiing, snowshoeing, skating....

And a fitness-oriented population with lots of cycling, running and try-clubs. Also great food and fun cultural activities - all in a town with just over 40K people.

But yes, it's cold in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I visited Aruba for vacation, and it's overwhelmingly crazy hot. And that way year round due to it being so close to the equator.
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlon towns to live USA? [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:

Great roads for riding - a very rural state with an immense road network gives a wide range of options. Some of the best gravel in the US. Lots of great pavement, longish and steepish climbs and long stretches of flats in the valley if you need it. You can pretty much ride comfortably from Mid-April to Nov 1.

Great running - year round, never run out of options. Beautiful mountain runs, easy bike path runs along the lake. Running in the dead of winter is a badge of honor and really fun.

Fantastic cross-training options with downhill and XC skiing, snowshoeing, skating....

And a fitness-oriented population with lots of cycling, running and try-clubs. Also great food and fun cultural activities - all in a town with just over 40K people.

LOL, I would say no way since the OP is looking for someplace warm.

I have lived in Vermont on and off since 1988. I lived in the Burlington area for a solid decade. I now live off-grid in the NEK. I've lived in other areas too around VT.

I guess it's all relative but outside of Burlignton, VT the roads are not that safe in my opinion. As someone who used to do 5-6 hr bike rides every Saturday starting mostly from Richmond, VT, it really sucked. Yes it's pretty, but many people are not friendly towards cyclists. I've had so many incidents over the years, I no longer ride on the paved roads. I know plenty of triathletes who also got fed up with cars/trucks in the Burlington area and ride mostly indoors or on gravel roads/trails. And I also disagree on road conditions. The more rural you get, the worse the roads get in regards to conditions. Yes to gravel riding. We do have great gravel riding throughout the state. But unless that is your passion, I it's not a good reason to move here.

But right now VT is experiencing a huge influx of covid migrants from cities and climate migrants. Housing is crazy expensive and hard to get right now whether renting or buying. You will get into a bidding war with several out-of-staters for a home here. No joke. And it's insanely expensive to live here as well. Food, heating, clothing, everything is more expensive. And property taxes will be at least 4x what you would pay in the southeast of the US. My land is in current use for reduced taxes, but our modest off-grid log home costs us $14K in property taxes alone every year. Not to mention all the other taxes we dish out every year.

Honestly Vermont is the last place I'd recommend moving to with so many downsides. Yes it's pretty, but it will cost you. And it's not as liberal as one might think (another reason people want to move here) And winter can last almost 6 months a year. This October is strange that it is 70F and I'm still swimming outside, but usually it will start snowing in the higher elevations in about a week. And it snows until the beginning of May.

I would move myself for all these reasons but I'm unique in that I don't like the general population and need space from other people. Vermont is a lightly populated state which is good for me. I don't do well in densely populated places. I'll endure all the other downsides to live in peace and quiet. Unless you are a grumpy hermit like myself who needs to live alone in the woods, pass on Vermont.

ETA: the tri scene is pretty weak in my opinion. Nothing at all like Boulder, Tucson or any other place known for triathlon. There is one triathlon club but I never joined as they didn't do much as a group. And it seemed kind of clicky. The same small handful of people in all the photos. I'm a 4x Ironman with podium finishes and I felt snubbed. Also an accomplished masters runner. But the GMAA (running club) has nice folks and do host some good local races.

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Oct 13, 21 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some international locations have been mentioned, so I'll mention one of my favorites - Loutraki, Greece.

Loutraki has mountains, flat lands, swimming beaches, and an aquatics center. It has Malibu geography and climate but with Bakersfield real estate prices. The Athens Airport is about an hour away by car. Athens commuter trains operate to a station on the outskirts of Corinth about 10 kilometers away.

The ETU Triathlon youth European championship was held in Loutraki in 2018.

Last edited by: Fredo_Adagio: Oct 13, 21 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
SJK wrote:

I have lived in Vermont on and off since 1988. I lived in the Burlington area for a solid decade. I now live off-grid in the NEK. I've lived in other areas too around VT.

I guess it's all relative but outside of Burlignton, VT the roads are not that safe in my opinion. As someone who used to do 5-6 hr bike rides every Saturday starting mostly from Richmond, VT, it really sucked. Yes it's pretty, but many people are not friendly towards cyclists. I've had so many incidents over the years, I no longer ride on the paved roads. I know plenty of triathletes who also got fed up with cars/trucks in the Burlington area and ride mostly indoors or on gravel roads/trails. And I also disagree on road conditions. The more rural you get, the worse the roads get in regards to conditions. Yes to gravel riding. We do have great gravel riding throughout the state. But unless that is your passion, I it's not a good reason to move here.

But right now VT is experiencing a huge influx of covid migrants from cities and climate migrants. Housing is crazy expensive and hard to get right now whether renting or buying. You will get into a bidding war with several out-of-staters for a home here. No joke. And it's insanely expensive to live here as well. Food, heating, clothing, everything is more expensive. And property taxes will be at least 4x what you would pay in the southeast of the US. My land is in current use for reduced taxes, but our modest off-grid log home costs us $14K in property taxes alone every year. Not to mention all the other taxes we dish out every year.

Honestly Vermont is the last place I'd recommend moving to with so many downsides. Yes it's pretty, but it will cost you. And it's not as liberal as one might think (another reason people want to move here) And winter can last almost 6 months a year. This October is strange that it is 70F and I'm still swimming outside, but usually it will start snowing in the higher elevations in about a week. And it snows until the beginning of May.

I would move myself for all these reasons but I'm unique in that I don't like the general population and need space from other people. Vermont is a lightly populated state which is good for me. I don't do well in densely populated places. I'll endure all the other downsides to live in peace and quiet. Unless you are a grumpy hermit like myself who needs to live alone in the woods, pass on Vermont.

ETA: the tri scene is pretty weak in my opinion. Nothing at all like Boulder, Tucson or any other place known for triathlon. There is one triathlon club but I never joined as they didn't do much as a group. And it seemed kind of clicky. The same small handful of people in all the photos. I'm a 4x Ironman with podium finishes and I felt snubbed. Also an accomplished masters runner. But the GMAA (running club) has nice folks and do host some good local races.

We clearly have different perspectives. Is Vermont expensive? relative to Nebraska, yes. Relative to Mass or California, no. You can buy a decent 3-bedroom house in Chittenden County for under 350K. Prop taxes on that house will be ~7K.

While there are bad drivers everywhere my experience is that drivers here are far more courteous to cyclists than Boston, SFO or Austin. I put in 5-7K miles per year on roads in this area and feel safe - and the data about incidents backs this up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SJK wrote:

We clearly have different perspectives. Is Vermont expensive? relative to Nebraska, yes. Relative to Mass or California, no. You can buy a decent 3-bedroom house in Chittenden County for under 350K. Prop taxes on that house will be ~7K.

While there are bad drivers everywhere my experience is that drivers here are far more courteous to cyclists than Boston, SFO or Austin. I put in 5-7K miles per year on roads in this area and feel safe - and the data about incidents backs this up.

I'm not about to get into a pissing match about Vermont. But take a look at Zillow right now. You can't touch anything decent for $350K in Chittenden County. Maybe 7-8 years ago. If you have a home where the value dictates $7K in property taxes, that same home in the SE would be probably 1/3 of that. Most nice homes in Chittenden county will run you $10-15K a year in property taxes. I actually have lived in Southern California and many costs were less than Vermont.

A friend and former neighbor who is a Kona Ironman and Xterra World champ stopped riding on the paved roads after her good friend was killed by a speeding car while riding in Hinesburg just doing a normal bike ride. I used to ride out to Charlotte on the same roads where a doctor was killed by a drunk driver just doing a regular training ride. There have been many other examples of this in Vermont. Maybe you don't mind that most people only give you a couple feet as they zip by you. While you may be the best rider in the world, you have no control over those around you and it just takes a second. I understand the risks, believe me I do. It wasn't until recently where I just decided it was not worth it anymore and I'm so much happier on the gravel roads. Someone we both probably know who has done many Ironmans has been hit 7 times by a car in Vermont but this person is fearless and will never stop riding the paved roads. I guess we are all wired differently. Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Oct 13, 21 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Someone we both probably know who has done many Ironmans has been hit 7 times by a car in Vermont but this person is fearless and will never stop riding the paved roads.

That is terrifying and infuriating and disappointing. So many cyclists getting hit and often killed, and the motorists typically facing little to no consequences. I don't love grinding away on a trainer at all, but the risk/benefit of cycling on shared roads is ever shifting more and more away from taking the risks of the road for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are moving to New Hampshire or northern Mass in the next year or two, came here to see more love for the Northeast!

SJK wrote:

Quote Reply

Prev Next