Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9?
Quote | Reply
I've had the same 23mm Grand Prix TT tires on my race wheels for a few years and they need to be replaced. I haven't kept up much with the latest best tires and aero vs crr stuff so help me out here. Wheels are original 808 NSW and Super 9 carbon clinchers. They are nearly identical width - 26.4mm brake track, 27.8mm max, 17.5mm internal. My default at this point would be a set of 25mm GP5000s with latex tubes and Stan's sealant but I know there must be a better combo for race day. Is the Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 no longer a current tire?
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jun 27, 23 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

GP5000S is only available in 25+ so what tire are you suggesting to switch to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 5000TR starts at 25mm, but I believe the non-tubeless 5000S starts at 23mm still. I had to check, but see them in stock all over the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gp5000 non tubeless is available in 23 although with that rim width I would go with a GP5000TT in 25mm
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9? [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I put a set of 25mm GP5000 on last week because I had them handy. I'm curious to see where they are at actual width now that they have been inflated for a while.

The 5000TT doesn't seem to be available in the US but looks like I can get them shipped from Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I've had the same 23mm Grand Prix TT tires on my race wheels for a few years and they need to be replaced. I haven't kept up much with the latest best tires and aero vs crr stuff so help me out here. Wheels are original 808 NSW and Super 9 carbon clinchers. They are nearly identical width - 26.4mm brake track, 27.8mm max, 17.5mm internal. My default at this point would be a set of 25mm GP5000s with latex tubes and Stan's sealant but I know there must be a better combo for race day.

Aerocoach and BRR still have the GP TT rolling slightly better than the GP 5000 clincher. Depending on your frame, a 23 in front and 25 in back could provide the best RR and Aero combo.

The Michelin Power Cup and Power Cup TT clinchers all roll a bit better than the GP TT.

Depending on the type race and distance there are also faster rolling clincher options on the more fragile end of the spectrum. Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed and Veloflex Record.

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ling-resistance-data

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest swapping to a GP5000TT on the front will save you about 2-3 watts double that for front and rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek SC V2. I'd prefer to stay away from the most fragile options.

I'm only seeing the current 5000TT in 25mm (not the older limited TDF). Would you say a 25mm GP5000TT is better than a 23 GP5000 for the front in my situation?

SummitAK wrote:

Aerocoach and BRR still have the GP TT rolling slightly better than the GP 5000 clincher. Depending on your frame, a 23 in front and 25 in back could provide the best RR and Aero combo.

The Michelin Power Cup and Power Cup TT clinchers all roll a bit better than the GP TT.

Depending on the type race and distance there are also faster rolling clincher options on the more fragile end of the spectrum. Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed and Veloflex Record.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jun 27, 23 8:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got some brand new 23mm gp tt tires lying around if you are interested. I’ve also got some 20mm and 23mm SuperSonics.

Willing to sell them if you are interested.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP TTs are the new version, not the TDF?

stevej wrote:
I’ve got some brand new 23mm gp tt tires lying around if you are interested. I’ve also got some 20mm and 23mm SuperSonics.

Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely 25, not 23. I rode a lot switching 23 and 25mm tires and conclusion is 25mm is way to go. 23mm tires are slower than 25mm. Trust me on this. It’s from hours and hours of riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

stevej wrote:

Yes the newer TT (etched sidewalls) but not the new TDF tubeless ones.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

stevej wrote:

FYI, GP TT and GP 5000 TT are not the same tyre.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire/size for 808 NSW+Super 9? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes - GP TT are from like 8 years ago.

MTM wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:

stevej wrote:

FYI, GP TT and GP 5000 TT are not the same tyre.
Quote Reply