Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have an imbalance in your stroke, your TSS will be either a bit low or a bit high. If you are trying to go for the highest TSS you can pull off without crippling your run, this could matter.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
ninagski wrote:
Looking to take the plunge into a power meter. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but I'm also not a pro and +/-3% accuracy is more than effective for me. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for best bang for your buck power meters that are effective and reliable. Thanks in advance!

Every time someone asks about a PM and is not concerned about accuracy, God kills a kitten. Please...think of the kittens!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Uses_for_a_Dead_Cat
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely going to add the Vpower from Garmin store... Which one do you use, the one from Travis.vitek or Shane_Coetser?
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering pulling the trigger this weekend on the PowerTap C1s. I haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread. Is there a reason for this?
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my stages. easy to transfer from my road bike (indoor on trainer) to my race (TT) bike. There are many opinions on the Stages product but I for one have had thousands upon thousands of miles without issue and highly recommend. Its been by far, one of the best training and racing investments i've made.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got refurbished powertap p1 last year for $540, when it was $1000 for the new one, it might be even cheaper now since they have reduced price to $750 new. I love them, very easy to swap pedals between my TT and road bike. Check powertap website, they often have good deals on refubrushed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answer all of the questions and I'll provide you with an answer.

do you want to have it on 1 bike or multiple?

do you want the ability to have a training wheel set and race wheels?

do you ride the same pedals on all bikes?

What type of bike(s) is this going on?

What is your goal?

Do want power inside and outside?

How much do you want to spend?
Last edited by: kppolich: Apr 19, 18 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:

Not sure if you're responding to me, but just one bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What is your goal?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:

What is your goal?

Sorry, didn't see your first post on my phone!

1 bike, Felt IA 14

Going to ride a covered training wheel on the rear, so I don't think I want to do a hub.

Yes, Look Keo

Just being able to move outdoors with power. I currently do about 98% of my riding indoors with power. Training for IM Chattanooga; would be a dream to KQ.

And preferably less than $500 at very most.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

do you want to have it on 1 bike or multiple? 1 Bike

do you want the ability to have a training wheel set and race wheels? Yes, a trainer wheel and outdoor wheel

do you ride the same pedals on all bikes? Only have one bike

What type of bike(s) is this going on? Cervelo P2

What is your goal? Just get an idea of the power I am putting out so I can train properly and don't go to hard in my 1st IM

How much do you want to spend? As little as possible
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used Quarq or Power2Max from the classifieds.

Find one on a crank that matches your existing bottom bracket and BCD (BB30 most likely)
or
Find the spider that works with your current crank/chainrings.

example: Quarq Riken AL - 172.5, BB30, Praxis 50/34 Rings - $475 from https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

or

Nicer rear wheel with powertap + disc cover.
Ex. HED Jet 6 with powertap, disc cover for racing
Last edited by: kppolich: Apr 19, 18 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom bracket: BBB BOTTOMFIT BBO-72, PF24 THREADED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have a 24mm bottom BB then find something shimano or Rotor 3d.

SRAM GXP spindles have 24mm on the drive side and 22mm on the Non-Drive side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:
I'm considering pulling the trigger this weekend on the PowerTap C1s. I haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread. Is there a reason for this?

That's what I have. Love it. Want to get another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:

C1s are limited as to which cranks they can be installed on, and getting more limited as vendors change their chainring mounting bolt patterns. Also they support 50-36 but not 50-34.

If they fit your chosen crank and chainrings, they are currently at a great price.
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stages currently have some great closeout deals. As someone else said, they don't get much love here, but I've had zero issues over 2 years of pretty heavy use, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat for the prices they're going for at the moment. It's simple and gets the job done, and has helped me in my quest of moving from a MOP rider to FOP rider, which is the most important thing for me.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Looking to take the plunge into a power meter. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but I'm also not a pro and +/-3% accuracy is more than effective for me. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for best bang for your buck power meters that are effective and reliable. Thanks in advance!

All depends what plans do you have for your PM: is time just simple pacing? Or maybe just Zwifting, Aero testing, pedaling technique analysis etc...

Cheapest right now is probably Stages they have some great closeouts deals, but single leg PM cones with limitations, if you understand them, this will be your best bang for the buck

Garmin Vector 3 comes with additional pedal metrics if you know what to do with it it is really good.
Pioneer has even more interesting pedaling metrics.(they have single dual leg option)
Stages RL is bullet proof and very precise, no advanced pedal stroke metrics but I think it will outlive Garmin many times.
Quark solid PM great price similar to Stages RL depending on your BB might be best solution for your bike.
Powertap wheel - awesome PM but you are locked to the single wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilmas wrote:

C1s are limited as to which cranks they can be installed on, and getting more limited as vendors change their chainring mounting bolt patterns. Also they support 50-36 but not 50-34.

If they fit your chosen crank and chainrings, they are currently at a great price.

I'm currently running a pair of short Rotor 3D cranks (tested on my velotron) and they have a 110 BCD and look compatible.

My rationale currently is, if I went with the C1s, I could probably get a few years out of them and hopefully then get a very fancy powermeter when the price drops a few years down the road (I think we're on the verge of prices dropping due to all the competition that's now in the market, similar to race wheels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I threw a set of C1 chain rings on my gravel bike. Figured for the price I'd try them out. They read about 12-15 watts higher than my powertaps on my race bikes during hard efforts. Strangely, they seem to show lower power when I'm just spinning along (probably just in my head). They shift fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this bike terminology is Greek. There are some closeouts in the $150-$250 range here https://store.stagescycling.com/closeout-cosmetic-blems

What is the cheapest one on this page that will fit a 2017 Cervelo P2 with easy installation?

Crank: FSA BB386 EVO
Shimano 105 5800
Last edited by: Spartan420: Apr 20, 18 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your crank length which is printed in mm on back of every crank arm. A lot of the cheap options on that page are only available in the more obscure crank lengths (I don't think I have ever seen a Shimano 167.5mm crankset).

Also you can't mix Shimano and FSA (the arms fix to the spindle using a slightly different system). If you have a Shimano crank any of the single sided (left) arms will do as long as the length is correct. I'm not even going to take a punt on the FSA option even though I know some P2s were sold with a gossamer crank. FSA makes a lot of cranksets to conform to different bottom bracket standards so you need to match like for like.
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually my crank is FSA BB386 EVO
Quote Reply
Re: Bang for your buck power meter [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Powertap hub thinking great I can swap it between bikes. Then I discovered aero and carbon wheels, now I have 3 wheels sets all with PowerTaps on :-)

They are all great though and have had 0 probs. Just the occasional battery change required
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would contact Stages. I have a P2 and the clearance is so tight. I changed to an Ultegra crankset that I had, but ultimately I went with the Watteam PM because it didn't affect the clearance inside the crankarm.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply

Prev Next