Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
1. 1500 calories of banana is not as aero as 1500 calories in a bottle
2. anti-inflammatory foods potentially reduce the training effect. You should not take in anti inflammatory foods during exercise
3. bananas are disgusting (ok the last one is my opinion, but really they are)

edit - addition: DIY also cheaper!

Actually, my Kroger Mtn Dew has you beat in cal/$1.00 at 1648 cal/$1.00 vs your malto at 1315/$1.00 assuming 63.99 +4.99 ground shipping = $68.98/50 lb. Your malto does come in a bit ahead of my Kroger Coke at 1268 cal/$1.00. As stated in previous post, i can buy Kroger brand Coke and Dew at 0.6666/2 L (e.g, 3 for $2.00). Just pour it out and defizz overnight and you're good to go. Does the malto have any taste at all??? Personally, i like the taste of Coke and Dew, and have come to prefer them defizzed at all times. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only ride these days and my longest rides tend to be in the 100K range. So depending in the day and who I'm riding with that's 3 - 3 1/2 hours of ride time. I take two bananas when I start these rides and that's what I eat in the first hour. I'l then take 2 - 3 gels over the course of the last 2 hours. In my bottles (two larger bike bottles) I have a very light mixture of Gatorade from the crystals. Never had a problem. Occasionally there is a refuel stop, but if not I can make it through with this.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Fleck and All,

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helped me immensely on my first IM 2 years ago when I was dealing with gut issues leading up to the race.

Just used one today on an ultra, but I also drank a lot of coke during the second half so I am definitely a both are good kind of guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to agree that Dew is incredible and tastes a lot better than... well most things. I've not tried Kroger cola yet, I'm a bit of a coke snob and go for the premium Mexican coke where available.

The malto on its own tastes gross. I blend it with Fever Tree ginger beer for race day. That makes it taste pretty good.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I've got to agree that Dew is incredible and tastes a lot better than... well most things. I've not tried Kroger cola yet, I'm a bit of a coke snob and go for the premium Mexican coke where available.
The malto on its own tastes gross. I blend it with Fever Tree ginger beer for race day. That makes it taste pretty good.

So, JOOC, why not blend the malto w/ Dew, and why malto at all??? Why not just straight Dew??? Do you feel the malto breaks down slower giving more sustained energy??? In any case, glad to hear another adult Dew fan!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And don't forget extra salty boiled small new potatoes. 4 or 5 in a baggy on a long session is the bees knees and about as cheap as food comes. Very easy to digest and not messy at all. Back when I was poor and they haven't invented Power Bars used to use them almost daily for a meal on the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
And don't forget extra salty boiled small new potatoes. 4 or 5 in a baggy on a long session is the bees knees and about as cheap as food comes. Very easy to digest and not messy at all. Back when I was poor and they haven't invented Power Bars used to use them almost daily for a meal on the wheel.

Nice, had not thought of this option. Power Bars tend to make me crap so not a good race option. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The malto just enables a high calorie concoction. So for IM I get 1200 calories as a drinkable gel into one bottle. The ginger helps settle the stomach a bit. I might try it with Dew, could be good!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
damn lucky wrote:
It said dates have even more sugar. I buy my dates at Costco and find they are a great fuel for riding. They don't get mushy or bruise.

I fueled all of my long runs and recent marathon with dates. They're mildly less convenient then gels just because you have to put them in a ziplock baggie and figure out how to carry the bag. For me, my body responds remarkably well to them; I eat one every ~45 minutes and they taste WAY better than the artificial stuff in gels and chews. I buy the fancy medjool pitted dates in the produce section.

I recall Dave Scott saying dates were his secret weapon back in the day. Of course this was before sports nutrition was a thing, so take with a grain of salt. I would think tons of sugar and fiber would result in some epic GI issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been making my own mixes for a number of years using malto as the main ingredient and add a little amino and BCAA mix. The amino mix that I use has a fruit punch flavor and that typically covers any of the natural supplement flavors. If not I throw in a Hawaiian Punch single packet. In the hot months I add Trace Mineral drops to the bottle to add some electrolytes.

I have become so accustomed to these home mixed drinks that even on charity rides with all sorts of goodies including bananas I will not eat any of it for fear of upset stomach. That happened on a ride years ago and for about 50 miles I felt like throwing up. Made for a very miserable day so I've been skittish ever since.

I have seen friends on longish group rides with a banana or two hanging half out the pocket and flopping around. Just seems like that would be annoying as heck compared to bottle mixes, gels and a clif bar or similar. But they seem to be okay with it so I guess that's all that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
The malto just enables a high calorie concoction. So for IM I get 1200 calories as a drinkable gel into one bottle. The ginger helps settle the stomach a bit. I might try it with Dew, could be good!

Ah, i see...and would you consume that full 1200 cal in a 5-ish hour iron bike??? And of course more cals for Ultraman??? And then just drink defizzed Coke and/or Gator/Powerade or whatever is on the run course??? And maybe some gels in your pockets for the run???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bananas give me indigestion. I never eat them. Too much potassium maybe? To each his/her own.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Apr 8, 18 17:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next