Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks
Quote | Reply
Bananas vs. Sports Drinks? Bananas Win in Study
https://nyti.ms/2Ej2S35

My question: what was the ripeness of the bananas in the test? Because I much prefer riper bananas (the peel has some brown or black dots).

Also, what about banana Runts candy?
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick Lange agrees

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...k_to_video_P6455179/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damnit I wanted to say this

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a banana in your pants or...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate bananas. Coke and Mtn Dew are $0.67/2 L at my local Kroger's if you buy the Kroger brand. Defizz them overnight and they are the best bang for your buck in terms of calories per buck. Haven't any Gatorade or other "sports drink" for over 20 yrs now, except at races when had no other choice, which is rare.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so the question becomes: how can I fuel my next 70.3 with only bananas and water?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It said dates have even more sugar. I buy my dates at Costco and find they are a great fuel for riding. They don't get mushy or bruise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much less likely to destroy your teeth, that's for sure.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 5, 18 22:25
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Much less likely to destroy your teeth, that's for sure.
but only if you use a product full of simple sugars.

Try carrying enough bananas to fuel an ironman, an ultra marathon. Too many. Too bulky/

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a warning ...actually two......first it was partially sponsored by Dole (although the statement says they were not involved designing the study blah, blah) and they warned about bloating...so it could work but could not but I have tried dates on my long runs and bike rides and so far so good.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think Gatorade is any better for you than soda...well I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to mostly real food years ago. I still go with sport drinks from time to time. I'd be interested how these athletes got sodium in the non sport drink ride or in the water ride.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I miss it or did the article/study say anything about the performance impact of bananas v. sports drink? Seems to me they only measured inflammation and not during exercise performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it several times and saw no actual data. So you didn't miss it. So I wouldn't change your whole life on this. But I can tell you bananas are great, I've always handled them well especially during training.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But I can tell you bananas are great, I've always handled them well especially during training.

Same here and completely agree. They've always been my preferred fuel of choice, even more so now with ultra running.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
I hate bananas. Coke and Mtn Dew are $0.67/2 L at my local Kroger's if you buy the Kroger brand. Defizz them overnight and they are the best bang for your buck in terms of calories per buck. Haven't any Gatorade or other "sports drink" for over 20 yrs now, except at races when had no other choice, which is rare.

Everyone's a bit different....havent had a poisonous soda in over 20 years - Pack bananas often for long rides......and I prefer them before they get any brown on the skin and have that overripe taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
If you think Gatorade is any better for you than soda...well I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

I think we're talking about fueling sports performance, not regular diet, e.g. a time when the sugar density of both of those could be a benefit in terms of portability, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
It said dates have even more sugar. I buy my dates at Costco and find they are a great fuel for riding. They don't get mushy or bruise.

I fueled all of my long runs and recent marathon with dates. They're mildly less convenient then gels just because you have to put them in a ziplock baggie and figure out how to carry the bag. For me, my body responds remarkably well to them; I eat one every ~45 minutes and they taste WAY better than the artificial stuff in gels and chews. I buy the fancy medjool pitted dates in the produce section.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

I think we're talking about fueling sports performance, not regular diet, e.g. a time when the sugar density of both of those could be a benefit in terms of portability, etc.

I don't think that's what the poster meant as they put the sentence right after talking about what's best for your health. Or if they did, they are bad at grammar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bananas at marathon and ultra aid stations are the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

They may be the best bang for your Cosco-buck, but they are certainly not the best bang for your health....Natural foods >> Sports drinks > Soda

As long as a person maintains a healthy weight and his/her blood work is good, then i'd say that his/her diet is satisfactory.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. The all-mighty and cost-efficient banana has fueled many endurance athletes over the years, that's for sure.

Unfort. not all folks systems agree with them, just like not all folks systems agree with Gatorade. Ideally you would want the cheapest, most agreeable, easiest to carry, most-potent/effective "fuel" there is.

What's yours?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Bananas are better and cost less than sports drinks [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've blended a bannana into a bottle fruit punch Gatorade before, tastes good and you don't have to worry about pealing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 1500 calories of banana is not as aero as 1500 calories in a bottle
2. anti-inflammatory foods potentially reduce the training effect. You should not take in anti inflammatory foods during exercise
3. bananas are disgusting (ok the last one is my opinion, but really they are)

edit - addition: DIY also cheaper!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: Apr 7, 18 8:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next