Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM01 recall
Quote | Reply
Just read on the BMC site that certain tire widths are not within distance tolerance of the downtube. 2017/18 owners please chime in, was just getting ready to buy an ‘18 TM01 frameset.
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...-for-safety-reviews/
Last edited by: mike s: Jun 8, 18 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Just read on the BMC site that certain tire widths are not within distance tolerance of the downtube. 2017/18 owners please chime in, was just getting ready to buy an ‘18 TM01 frameset.
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...-for-safety-reviews/

Afraid of US consumer litigation....
With that said, there are some other frames where this could be a problem.
.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the TM01 and its fitted with Michelin Power Endurance 28 mm on a 808 FC rim since I'm into ultra cycling. Clearance looks good to me but what do I know. I'll drop it by the local BMC dealer to be sure.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 model and got my bike inspected, sure enough ... it failed the inspection on 25mm tires and Mavic 19mm internal rims .

According to BMC, you should have a 6mm clearance between the tire and frame at the narrowest point, I am not sure all bikes does this, the Scott Plazma looks to have a very small clearance, especially with 25mm tires, so this problem might be there as well. Worth to mention that i put thousands of KMs on the "failed" setup with no problems, but you don't want to take chances.

Bottom line for the BMC frame, you won't be able to run pretty much any 25mm+ tires on this frame. I am currently running 23mm Vittoria corsas and they barely fit the safety spec.

BMC said they will start making new forks that will allow for larger tires, but if i were you ... i would either wait it out or get a different frame. My feel is that BMC will change few more things into this bike in the next years, especially with front cockpit.

You can see in the picture the clearance with 25mm Vittoria G+.
Last edited by: Zakalunce: Jun 10, 18 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanging onto my 2012 TM01. :)
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm unfortunately one of the few TM01 riders that has been affected by this issue. Specifically, I was thrown over the bars three times over the course of a six week period. For those riding with 25mm tires, please for your sake, DO NOT take the chance.

I was completely confused at first as to why this was happening and thought that I maybe had something to do with it, but BMC reassured me after the second accident that the issue had been resolved. It wasn't until my third identical accident that a BMC corporate manager reached out to get a full picture of what I had gone through.

To note - all three of my accidents happened upon moderately applying both the front and rear brake simultaneously. I can't possibly explain how the frame and tire can flex to such a variance, but the front wheel immediately locked against the downtube and forced the headset cover upward (as detailed in the photos).

As stated above, BMC is in fact working on a fix for this (a modified fork to be precise) that apparently will be out in September. They've been kind enough to provide me with a TM02 to get me through IM Lake Placid but this still leaves me wondering whether this solution is in fact just. Please I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

While I appreciate the predicament, I have to admit that it is frustrating to see that this recall is only voluntary and that they are giving discretion to riders based on the tire size they are using. Please shoot me any questions should you have any

Dropbox link to high res photos and video of wheel lock - https://www.dropbox.com/...mNhZiaVrdRA81Ga?dl=0
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benjaminschor wrote:
Hi all, I'm unfortunately one of the few TM01 riders that has been affected by this issue. Specifically, I was thrown over the bars three times over the course of a six week period. For those riding with 25mm tires, please for your sake, DO NOT take the chance.

I was completely confused at first as to why this was happening and thought that I maybe had something to do with it, but BMC reassured me after the second accident that the issue had been resolved. It wasn't until my third identical accident that a BMC corporate manager reached out to get a full picture of what I had gone through.

To note - all three of my accidents happened upon moderately applying both the front and rear brake simultaneously. I can't possibly explain how the frame and tire can flex to such a variance, but the front wheel immediately locked against the downtube and forced the headset cover upward (as detailed in the photos).

As stated above, BMC is in fact working on a fix for this (a modified fork to be precise) that apparently will be out in September. They've been kind enough to provide me with a TM02 to get me through IM Lake Placid but this still leaves me wondering whether this solution is in fact just. Please I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

While I appreciate the predicament, I have to admit that it is frustrating to see that this recall is only voluntary and that they are giving discretion to riders based on the tire size they are using. Please shoot me any questions should you have any

Dropbox link to high res photos and video of wheel lock - https://www.dropbox.com/...mNhZiaVrdRA81Ga?dl=0

Yikes! Is yours a 17/18?

I have a '16, hoping this is not a issue.....

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only affecting 2018 and 2017 models, which was the year they introduced this frame
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benjaminschor wrote:
Hi all, I'm unfortunately one of the few TM01 riders that has been affected by this issue. Specifically, I was thrown over the bars three times over the course of a six week period. For those riding with 25mm tires, please for your sake, DO NOT take the chance.

I was completely confused at first as to why this was happening and thought that I maybe had something to do with it, but BMC reassured me after the second accident that the issue had been resolved. It wasn't until my third identical accident that a BMC corporate manager reached out to get a full picture of what I had gone through.

To note - all three of my accidents happened upon moderately applying both the front and rear brake simultaneously. I can't possibly explain how the frame and tire can flex to such a variance, but the front wheel immediately locked against the downtube and forced the headset cover upward (as detailed in the photos).

As stated above, BMC is in fact working on a fix for this (a modified fork to be precise) that apparently will be out in September. They've been kind enough to provide me with a TM02 to get me through IM Lake Placid but this still leaves me wondering whether this solution is in fact just. Please I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

While I appreciate the predicament, I have to admit that it is frustrating to see that this recall is only voluntary and that they are giving discretion to riders based on the tire size they are using. Please shoot me any questions should you have any

Dropbox link to high res photos and video of wheel lock - https://www.dropbox.com/...mNhZiaVrdRA81Ga?dl=0

Call them and be like oh no, you are going to give me a brand new TM01 or you better lawyer up.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, this looks pretty bad. I hope you are okay and didn't sustain any injuries with this.
I am very surprised that this tolerance problem happened on such a premium bike that has been ridden by two pro teams (most of them are running 25mm tires too) for almost 2.5 years now.

After doing a lot of research, it looks like there has been quite some accidents actually where people got injured and BMC had to do the recall after reports started piling up. BMC still are being vague on the details for what exactly can happen and how to avoid it.
From what you are saying, it looks like it is a stopping power problem, when the whole bike is "squeezed" the downtube/fork/wheel get very close and end up causing this tire/downtube contact.

How fast were you going when you were braking? was it downhill fast speed or a moderate speed. Also, can you let us know what tires were you using?

Another thing is that according to BMC, worst case scenario, you can run 23mm safely (after headset being adjusted), why did they send a TM02 frame if the problem can be resolved with a new set of tires?

Sorry to be asking a lot of questions but i am very worried and i have an IM race this weekend, considering going for a regular road bike and not take any chances.

This post got me also very alarmed, apparently someone from Brazil also got knocked off his bike and spent sometime in a hospital,
its bad enough that we have to worry about safety with traffic, but now we have to think about manufacturing failures too.

https://instagram.com/p/BkLvci_BJd8/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCHdrwnb0Y/

in the second post, it actually shows the frame cracked after the contact. so it isn't just headset issue.
From earlier posts too, it looks like they ignored him for quite sometime before owning up to it.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmmm. I'm a 2017 TM02 owner running 23mm tires on HED Jet Black wheels so, according to the release, I'm not technically affected. But . . . I've had a couple experiences where grabbing both brakes provided sudden braking power FAR in excess of expectations. More extreme than any bike (rim or disc) I've ever ridden. It took all I could do to keep from going over the bars. Now, I brake very carefully in order to avoid a repeat.

I wonder . . .
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going roughly 11-12 mph cruising home on a flat surfaced bike path in all three instances.
Running Continental 25mm GP4000

I gave the bike back to BMC before they could issue the recall. I told them that I would never get back on the bike ever again and that it was their issue to fix. So they kindly sent me the TM02 to get me through Placid.

Given that I sustained a broken finger, sprained wrists and significant road rash, I fully expect them to make this right and either give me a new frame or a refund. I think where they really went wrong was to put me back on the bike after my first accident. Hindsight 2020 but I provided them with so much photo and video that it should have raised some red flags.

My advice to you is to find ANY TT frame for your IM. A road frame geometry will leave your legs more fatigued than you'd want. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional information, sorry to hear that you sustained injuries though, I feel BMC are very casual about how wrong they have gone with this whole situation.
It also looks like they knew about this for quite sometime before issuing a recall, mind you this is race season, which means a lot of people are riding.
I would say its very messed up from BMC, and for your situation to ask you to get on your bike and dismiss the possibility that they made a mistake in bike testing and design, this is appalling.

for the tire width/height issue, If you run tire comparisons from https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com, it looks like bike height for the continental clincher is larger than other wheels, which explain why pro teams can run Vittoria 25 with no problems.



Last edited by: Zakalunce: Jun 19, 18 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subscribed. Interested to see what BMC does to fix this problem
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy hell thats crazy. I think it must be fork flex issue not a tire issue. The Cervelo p4 has that same cut out and never heard of any issues with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It shouldn’t really matter if the tire can clear the fork it shouldn’t have issues clearing the frame. Either the fork is flexing too much or they built the cutout in the frame too deep to handle what tires can fit in the fork.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Never thought of it that way given how stiff of a material carbon fiber is - but who knows.

As of now, they’re still on time to deliver new forks in September. But this solution fails to address the three hard crashes the rest of the frame has sustained. Given my hand injury and that I didn’t have my bike for IMLP, all I want is a new frame to start fresh next season without the fear of any lingering issues.

Keep you all posted
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [benjaminschor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon is only stiff in the direction they lay up the carbon in which they want to make it stiff. Just put the bike on the trainer and see how much the frame flexes around the bottom bracket, and that’s when it’s designed to not flex in that direction.

So what I think is happening is your braking is causing the fork to flex toward the frame and it locks against the downtube.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Carbon is only stiff in the direction they lay up the carbon in which they want to make it stiff. Just put the bike on the trainer and see how much the frame flexes around the bottom bracket, and that’s when it’s designed to not flex in that direction.

So what I think is happening is your braking is causing the fork to flex toward the frame and it locks against the downtube.

Yeah, that's my take too.

Wonder what tire spec limitations are in place for that BMC (if there are any).
Some (smart) manufacturers explicitly specify max tire size (although releasing a frame that only takes 21mm tires would not really be "consumer-appropriate").

On the other hand, you wouldn't take an NASCAR chassis to a Rally and just mount knobby tires.

Was looking at BMC, but will now wait until they have proven themselves with a better frameset.
.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t really ride anything bigger than a 23 so this hasn’t been an issue but as I think I said earlier. I wouldn’t ever expect a tire to clear the fork but not clear the downtube under load.

That’s scary as hell. I easily hit 40+ on hills here that would have caused some major injuries and you’d never know it was sized wrong until you went over the bars.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of making buying decisions currently. I'm a bigger guy. I wonder if that would make this worse? Shame, it's a sharp bike.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zakalunce wrote:
Oh man, this looks pretty bad. I hope you are okay and didn't sustain any injuries with this.
I am very surprised that this tolerance problem happened on such a premium bike that has been ridden by two pro teams (most of them are running 25mm tires too) for almost 2.5 years now.

After doing a lot of research, it looks like there has been quite some accidents actually where people got injured and BMC had to do the recall after reports started piling up. BMC still are being vague on the details for what exactly can happen and how to avoid it.
From what you are saying, it looks like it is a stopping power problem, when the whole bike is "squeezed" the downtube/fork/wheel get very close and end up causing this tire/downtube contact.

How fast were you going when you were braking? was it downhill fast speed or a moderate speed. Also, can you let us know what tires were you using?

Another thing is that according to BMC, worst case scenario, you can run 23mm safely (after headset being adjusted), why did they send a TM02 frame if the problem can be resolved with a new set of tires?

Sorry to be asking a lot of questions but i am very worried and i have an IM race this weekend, considering going for a regular road bike and not take any chances.

This post got me also very alarmed, apparently someone from Brazil also got knocked off his bike and spent sometime in a hospital,
its bad enough that we have to worry about safety with traffic, but now we have to think about manufacturing failures too.

https://instagram.com/p/BkLvci_BJd8/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCHdrwnb0Y/

in the second post, it actually shows the frame cracked after the contact. so it isn't just headset issue.
From earlier posts too, it looks like they ignored him for quite sometime before owning up to it.

why not just swap out to 23mm or even 21mm tires just to be safe vs. going to a reg. road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 recall [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 BMC TM01. I am running Zipp 808s with Continental Grand Prix 4000S 25s... I had my BMC evaluated and BMC sent me a new fork. The process has been pretty quick and the fork arrived within 4-5 days...



Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply