Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fishes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next time I report a practice, I'll report it as something like xy62.5 yards. I'll swim half a 25 and get out on the side of the pool.

Take a deep breath...

On a related note, I swam in a pool that was 100' (~30.5m) when I was in youth summer league swimming. By the time computerization of meet programs came along, a race would be written in the heat sheet as "Girls 10-under 100 back" or "Boys 18-under 400 IM." No units specified, but understood as feet. We used to have a true 100y race, which was three lengths of the pool. Starter and swimmers on one side, timers on the other. I wish I could report one of those wrkts here. Imagine me writing some total like 4090m or 13,419'?
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was a club swimmer way back when, we'd swim outdoors at various pools around the city during the summer. One of them was 20 yards, and another was 33 1/3 yards (i.e. 100'). There was another one that was neither of those, don't remember exactly but it was no distance I had ever seen since.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I exited the ocean this morning with 2990 yards. Turned around and jumped through some waves, swam a short bit and exited again with 3060. Just HAD to get that 3000 in.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
On a related note, I swam in a pool that was 100' (~30.5m) when I was in youth summer league swimming. By the time computerization of meet programs came along, a race would be written in the heat sheet as "Girls 10-under 100 back" or "Boys 18-under 400 IM." No units specified, but understood as feet. We used to have a true 100y race, which was three lengths of the pool. Starter and swimmers on one side, timers on the other.

When I was in high school, one of the nearby blue blood swim schools hosted a "Freshman Invitational" meet annually. It was a tradition that went back to the early 60's or maybe even late 50's. I'm pretty sure they still do it to this day. While there were no 3 length events, I did have to swim the 150 yard free and 400 yard free instead of the usual 200 yard and 500 yard events. Stroke events were 50s instead of the usual 100, and the IM was 100 yards instead of 200.

~90% of the time, the winning team at that meet went on to win the state championship 3 years later. We finished 2nd at that meet, and 2nd at state our senior year, although to a different team each time.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the club pool today, got some pretty good road rash on my arm too, forgot which was the front brake on my MTB ride..)-;

3x(100/100free@1;40/100 breast@2;00/100fly/free@1;40/100IM kick@2;30)

100's free(1;24/23/22/21/20pb/19pb)100 breast(1;37/35/35) 100fly/free(1;23/19/18) 100IM kick(1;56/54/58)

5x100IM kick@2;00(1;54/54/53/54/50)
2000SCY
Last edited by: monty: Apr 11, 18 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2017 FINA top 10 are out

.... 9 swims in there for me...

5 SCM / 4 LCM

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
taken from FINA

MSW 3.2 When using the forward start, the referee's whistle shall indicate that the swimmers may take their positions with at least one foot at the front of the starting platform or pool deck, or in the water with one hand having contact with the starting wall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peace River Alberta had a 100' outdoor pool... I remember seeing heat sheets like that

Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcdRqQBOnR/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhce4PZB-VZ/

Last edited by: realAB: Apr 11, 18 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats awesome!

Congrats and amazing times in events I have no interest in swimming! haha
Super swims tho. Wow.

MyMainSet this am: (also a fun insta acct to follow as I build it up)

1 x 100 1:20
4 x 25s fast on :30
2 x 75 1:00
3 x 25s fast on :30
3 x 50 :40
2 x 25s fast on :30
4 x 25 :20
4 x 25 fast on:30
easy 50 on 1:00
Do this 3 times through.
We did fly on the 25s the first round, then back on rnd 2 and brst on rnd 3

This was SCY

daved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
2017 FINA top 10 are out

.... 9 swims in there for me...

5 SCM / 4 LCM

WOW! Congrats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
taken from FINA

MSW 3.2 When using the forward start, the referee's whistle shall indicate that the swimmers may take their positions with at least one foot at the front of the starting platform or pool deck, or in the water with one hand having contact with the starting wall.

OK thanks for that. I will register for Nationals this weekend!

Today's swim was 4200m at the Nepean sportsplex....main set 5x400m

as

4 x (100 fly-50 back-50 breast-200 free)
1x400 IM

I may go to the Swim Ontario Masters Provincials meet in Barrie on 4 Mar. If I got, 400 IM + 100 fly + 1500 free on Fri and 100 IM, 200 fly and 400 free on Saturday.

Another option is 200 breast rather than 400 free. I don't think I can get out of last place in the W75-59 age group in that event though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well done, realAB!

5.6 mi run w/ 5 @ 8:34 pace
625 yd swim: 6 x 100 on 1:30 then 25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

2,200 SCY this morning. Felt stuck in one speed. Tried some more water running, which feels just fine on the groin, but the lower abdomen hurts like a bastard.
w/u
300 alt breath x 50
3 x 100 bound
4 x 50 kick
m/s
w/d
8 x 50 alt running and easy free

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So to all the fishes here I have some news that may or may not be helpful, but I finally had a breakthrough yesterday. For a long time now(since underwater dolphin off turns) I have been struggling with the timing on this, especially on breaststroke. I have watched 100's of breaststroke folks and each and every single one does their dolphin kick first, then the pull down. It felt so uncoordinated to me and I was doing both pretty much at the same time. I could not for the life of me figure out why either.

So yesterday I just said to myself, just do the kick and dont even think about the breakout, and there it was. I always had the breakout in my head and it kept me from the proper timing of the dolphin kick, so when I just put it out of my mind, there it was as plain as day. then I did the same for all the other 3 strokes, and they too had bad timing, just not as noticeable as the breast. My breakouts are now stronger, further down the pool, and there is no pulling before I'm on the surface now and actually pushing myself back because of a bad breakout..

I bring this up because no one has ever said to do it with this in mind, and now of course it seems so simple. But I struggled for years with this, most recently with the breast when they allowed that big dolphin off the wall. I expect to be faster now, but of course age is slowing me down, so I better race soon so that I can take advantage of it!!!

I'm sure a lot of you just got this right away, but keep in mind that I was hard wired long before there was anything like this, so I have had to reprogram a lot of deep pathways. And of course old bodies are not really built to take full advantage of this newer style, but it is still an advantage I want to exploit to the fullest while I can...That's all, very excited yesterday when that light bulb went off...
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So to all the fishes here I have some news that may or may not be helpful, but I finally had a breakthrough yesterday. For a long time now(since underwater dolphin off turns) I have been struggling with the timing on this, especially on breaststroke. I have watched 100's of breaststroke folks and each and every single one does their dolphin kick first, then the pull down. It felt so uncoordinated to me and I was doing both pretty much at the same time. I could not for the life of me figure out why either.

So yesterday I just said to myself, just do the kick and dont even think about the breakout, and there it was. I always had the breakout in my head and it kept me from the proper timing of the dolphin kick, so when I just put it out of my mind, there it was as plain as day. then I did the same for all the other 3 strokes, and they too had bad timing, just not as noticeable as the breast. My breakouts are now stronger, further down the pool, and there is no pulling before I'm on the surface now and actually pushing myself back because of a bad breakout..

I bring this up because no one has ever said to do it with this in mind, and now of course it seems so simple. But I struggled for years with this, most recently with the breast when they allowed that big dolphin off the wall. I expect to be faster now, but of course age is slowing me down, so I better race soon so that I can take advantage of it!!!

I'm sure a lot of you just got this right away, but keep in mind that I was hard wired long before there was anything like this, so I have had to reprogram a lot of deep pathways. And of course old bodies are not really built to take full advantage of this newer style, but it is still an advantage I want to exploit to the fullest while I can...That's all, very excited yesterday when that light bulb went off...

Hey Monty, I just learned the underwater sequence for breast stroke this month and I have had 'real swimmers' telll me how awesome mine is.....I think because I had no historic baggage like I do with freestyle and it was completely new and I got the timing pretty decent out of the gate just watching Kitajima do these on youtube!!! I have to maximize this as my overwater breast stroke sucks so badly due to my leg/disc limitations!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to dolphin kick first quite some time ago. It didn't seem that hard to convert. But, my dolphin kick isn't that strong, anyway. The big issue I have now is optimizing the big UW pull and kick timing to reduce the feeling I come to a dead stop in the water. That's from doing the big pull recovery the same time I draw my legs up for the kick. Mike Collins says to draw your legs during the big pull... I'm struggling with this.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big issue with the underwater dolphin then pull, as opposed to the simultaneous dolphin kick and pull method, is lack of air. You're underwater a Looong time, which is fine in shorter events but is hell in the 400im. Last time I did a 400IM I didn't even bother doing the pullout on the final 2 breaststroke turns, the oxygen debt is just so high in order to gain what, half a second? Which I feel like I'm losing substantially more than that trying to recover from the lack of air.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is lack of air//

Oh I get this, I get it good, but that was not my problem before. Even just going slow with tons of air, my timing was just off. Now it is on and I can actually feel how all those other people look.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to that world class female breastroker that used to just pop up off the turn and begin swimming? I was in a discussion on the paddle thread with someone about outliers, she was definitely one not to emulate. I'm sure in workouts at her home pool she kicked everyones ass doing this, she was just plain a lot faster than everyone in the small pond. But how silly did it look when she would do it in the finals of a big meet? Unless she had some lung thing where she only had one at birth or something, it just made no sense at all and was painfully obvious that she was an outlier outside the bell curve.. Anyone else remember this gal???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The big issue with the underwater dolphin then pull, as opposed to the simultaneous dolphin kick and pull method, is lack of air. You're underwater a Looong time, which is fine in shorter events but is hell in the 400im. Last time I did a 400IM I didn't even bother doing the pullout on the final 2 breaststroke turns, the oxygen debt is just so high in order to gain what, half a second? Which I feel like I'm losing substantially more than that trying to recover from the lack of air.

OK no wonder I am dying after I come up. So for 400 IM, just push and do simultaneous dolphin kick+pull and break out for 200 IM or shorter do the dolphin first then pull then break out? Also I kind that my first breast stroke push off after back stroke, my legs are so dead that breaking out earlier is better (for me). The later ones, I can manage. I think my legs are so full of lactate after back stroke that they need oxygen quickly so that long breast push off+dolphin+pull out + break out seems to just go on forever (plus I am just slow at it to start off).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

OK no wonder I am dying after I come up. So for 400 IM, just push and do simultaneous dolphin kick+pull and break out for 200 IM or shorter do the dolphin first then pull then break out? Also I kind that my first breast stroke push off after back stroke, my legs are so dead that breaking out earlier is better (for me). The later ones, I can manage. I think my legs are so full of lactate after back stroke that they need oxygen quickly so that long breast push off+dolphin+pull out + break out seems to just go on forever (plus I am just slow at it to start off).

That's gonna be an individual decision. I'll probably do the long underwater version for the 100 IM, medium version for the 200, and skip the pullout altogether for the 400

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking that at my pathetic level of breast stroke maybe a micro oxygen pause to get a massive breath and a hard push from the wall and a pull plus dolphin and then break to the surface gains me more since once i am actually swimming my progress is near negative since i am otherwise a 56s 50m person in that stroke given my left leg generates almost no power and i get lopsided because of that sucks to have this "disability"... Hopefully not forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.3 mi run, 36 min, w/ 2 x 1.5 mi (1 @ 8:20 + .5 @ 8:13, 1 @ 8:13 + .5 @ 8:06)
625 yd swim (see below)
4 mi bike

100 swim
50 kick
100 fast 1:13
50 kick
200 fast 2:27
100 easy
25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, yer KILLING me here....

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
625 yd swim (see below)
4 mi bike

100 swim
50 kick
100 fast 1:13
50 kick
200 fast 2:27
100 easy
25 kick

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Come on, yer KILLING me here....

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
625 yd swim (see below)

I know. Even in a short course pool, I don't like finishing on a "50," much less a "25" or "75."

Quote Reply

Prev Next