Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fishes [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warm-up: 400m, 200m crawl + 200m with pull buoy

Workout: 3x (100m in 2', 10" rest, 100m in 1'55", 15" rest, 100m in 1'50", 20" rest, 100m in 1'45", 25" rest, 100m in 1'40", 30" rest)

100m chill

2x 300m with pull buoy and paddles

Cool-down: 100m

Total: 2700m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No Rest for the Weary"

WU:
300 Swim
2 x {200 Free, 200FrIM}
4 x 100 Kick Neg Split

Main Set (Descend 1-4 to Max Speed)
2 x {
4 x 100 Desc 1-4 @ 1:35
4 x 75 Desc 1-4 @ 1:10
4 x 50 Desc 1-4 @ :55
4 x 25 Desc 1-4 @ :30
}

then right into

6 x 100 Pull (2@1:30, 2@1:25, 2@1:20)

WD:
200 Easy

Thought we'd get some rest in between the 2 runs of the Main Set, but we did not. The 6 x 100 Pull right after that was.....fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
31st birthday workout! 7.1 mi run easy, 1025 yd swim

10 x 100 on 1:31
25 kick

Congrats on your birthday! 10x100 on 1:31 is solid!!! But what happened to the 31x1k repeats at the track? My favourite running workout was Nx200m on my age in seconds. Last time I did that was 48x200m in 48 seconds. 45x200m in 45 seconds was a nice round workout. This year I am building up to 53x100m IM swimming. This will not be possible on 1:53 through, so not sure where to roll in the 53 number. Maybe target 1:53 for the last one!
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
today 8 mi run: .5 w/u, 5 mi progressive (6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 mph), .5 easy, 2 mi progressive (6.9, 7.0 mph)
then 825 yd swim: 500 + 50 kick + 250 + 25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
31st birthday workout! 7.1 mi run easy, 1025 yd swim

10 x 100 on 1:31
25 kick

There once was a chik we called Tiger
at the pool was where one could find 'er
she swam lots of yards
didn't find it too hards
so for her birthday did push the yardage higher.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fish!

OK, so I'm a really terrible fish. My first time EVER going to the pool with the intention of swimming. My level of swim is "I know how to not drown". I signed up for a local masters swim program since I signed up for Wilderman in July. I figured I should learn how to swim.

Coach gave everyone a sheet with the nights work out. After watching me "warm-up" he basically took my sheet away which was good because I didn't understand all of the mumbo jumbo on there anyway.

My workout? I'm not sure. About a 1000m of interspersed "swimming" and hanging on the wall. He also had me do quite a few lengths with the kickboard. Maybe another 400-500m. I'll learn to count eventually.

I considered it a success. I didn't drown, though the two calf cramps at the end did nearly take me out.

Now to go watch the Strange Denizens thread to see if someone posts about me...
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [bmullin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Welcome! Your post made me laugh. I'm quite sure I'm a strange denizen right now with my very short swims. I'm a strange denizen at the gym, too.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmullin wrote:
I'm a fish!

OK, so I'm a really terrible fish. My first time EVER going to the pool with the intention of swimming. My level of swim is "I know how to not drown". I signed up for a local masters swim program since I signed up for Wilderman in July. I figured I should learn how to swim.

Coach gave everyone a sheet with the nights work out. After watching me "warm-up" he basically took my sheet away which was good because I didn't understand all of the mumbo jumbo on there anyway.

My workout? I'm not sure. About a 1000m of interspersed "swimming" and hanging on the wall. He also had me do quite a few lengths with the kickboard. Maybe another 400-500m. I'll learn to count eventually.

I considered it a success. I didn't drown, though the two calf cramps at the end did nearly take me out.

Welcome! And hey, not all fish are good swimmers. eg. http://facts.net/clown-fish/

Clown Fish Are Surprisingly Poor Swimmers
One of the more surprising facts on this list tells us that these fish are certainly not the best swimmers in the ocean. They spend much of their time hiding in the sea anemone they live in. When they do venture out, their swim patterns are very erratic. They are known to swim sideways at times and, while they can swim quickly for short burst, they can’t keep up this speed to avoid a predator for too long. They rely on their habitat for protection rather than their swimming skills.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmullin wrote:
I'm a fish!

Now to go watch the Strange Denizens thread to see if someone posts about me..

My breast stroke is in this category. Thankfully in my one and only swim meet in the 400IM I was in lane 8 away from the stands where everyone can laugh. In the 100IM, I was right in front of everyone in lane 1....I completely had stage fright that I might end up on that infamous ST thread!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmullin wrote:
I'm a fish!

Welcome to the pool! Stick with it and eventually it'll come around.

My swim this morning was good open water practice, dude I shared a lane with this morning created a hell of a bow wave.

w/u
200 easy
200 w/buoy & paddles
4 x 50 kick
m/s
4 x 300 moderate
w/d
2 x 100 mixed (breast kick still very painful)
100 kick

Going to try and run a little this afternoon, maybe a mile, two if I'm lucky.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi run 60:40
350 swim (kick the last 25)
4 mi bike (errands)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in today to see if it would help my migraine headache, or blow a brain vessel, seems to have helped;

5x100s@1;40(1;24's)
5x100IM kick@2;10 (1;56 to 1;49)
500p@7;00(6;30). 2x100IM kicks(1;56/53)
4x50 broken 100IM's@1;30 fly/bk(39/37) best/free(40/38) 100dolphin(2;11)
2000SCY
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 weeks to USMS Spring Nationals. Today's focus was 200 fly pace work.

200 pull
200 dolphin kick
4x50 build

20x50 fly @ 200 fly race effort (36.9-37.5 for all reps)
(12 on 1:10; extra minute rest, 5 on 1:15, extra minute rest, 3 on 1:20)

400 EZ

2000 yards total

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

200 pull
200 dolphin kick
4x50 build

400 EZ

2000 yards total

Wow....20x50 fly on those paces. I guess this is what I need to do to not have the grand piano land on my back at 150m into a 200m fly event! OK, I am on it on Sunday and will start with 10x50m fly on 60 seconds. so short rest and let's see if I can hang onto pace for the last bunch. Saturday I have my second swim meet of my life (100free, 50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free, 100 IM).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
gary p wrote:

200 pull
200 dolphin kick
4x50 build

400 EZ

2000 yards total

Wow....20x50 fly on those paces. I guess this is what I need to do to not have the grand piano land on my back at 150m into a 200m fly event! OK, I am on it on Sunday and will start with 10x50m fly on 60 seconds. so short rest and let's see if I can hang onto pace for the last bunch. Saturday I have my second swim meet of my life (100free, 50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free, 100 IM).

Talking as a former 200 flyer, I think that's too much fly. Fly is the one stroke that I don't like form to break down at all in practice, do it right or don't do it at all. But Gary's been around long enough that he can figure out what works for him pretty well.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Talking as a former 200 flyer, I think that's too much fly. Fly is the one stroke that I don't like form to break down at all in practice, do it right or don't do it at all. But Gary's been around long enough that he can figure out what works for him pretty well.

I took your "quality over quantity" advice for much of the season, doing less volume and/or employing more conservative work:rest ratios when working on fly. But it's getting to crunch time now, and I feel like I need to expose myself to the "Steinway Syndrome" some and try to figure out how to swim through it with the least amount of form breakdown. Because that sucker's falling from the sky onto my back somewhere in that race, no matter how easy I try to take it.

Last edited by: gary p: Apr 5, 18 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's honestly about general conditioning and race experience more than struggling through monster fly sets. There's a reason that the best 200 flyers are all really awesome 200 freestylers too, because it's a lot of VO2 max freestyle work to get you to through that last 50.

Oh, and kick sets.

When the piano falls, it'll be your legs that go. kick, kick and then kick some more.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
It's honestly about general conditioning and race experience more than struggling through monster fly sets. There's a reason that the best 200 flyers are all really awesome 200 freestylers too, because it's a lot of VO2 max freestyle work to get you to through that last 50.

Oh, and kick sets.

When the piano falls, it'll be your legs that go. kick, kick and then kick some more.

Thanks guys. This discussion is quite educational. When the piano falls....is it better to pull less and kind of cut the stroke short and kick hard or finish the arm sweep to the hips and beyond?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Oh, and kick sets.

Thanks guys. This discussion is quite educational. When the piano falls....is it better to pull less and kind of cut the stroke short and kick hard or finish the arm sweep to the hips and beyond?

There is no "do this or do that". You just do what you gotta do to stay legal and finish.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I'm a clown fish...

I tried to hop in the local pool last night after a spin on the trainer. I rolled in at 7:50 right before, according to the online calendar, it went from 2 to 8 lap lanes for 8-8:30. Sadly, the kid told me the pool closes at 8 on Thursdays...

I did go get back in at a stupid hour this morning. I figure I'm working on comfort in the water. I have a long way to go.

6 x 50yd
7 x 100yd on 3:00

That was enough. Looking forward to being able to swim more than 100 yards at a shot without having to pant on the side of the pool for 30 seconds.

I'm looking for local help as well, but any recommendations for good online video resources for beginner swimmers? There is a ton of stuff out there, but I can't tell what is good and what is crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev,

Like you I am also an AOS who is working to become a well balanced swimmer in all of the strokes. So I've been following your posts on the topic, but my approach is a little different. I've been working on the 50's for each stroke, mostly backstroke, for swim meets. Just recently starting in on br and fl.

For getting faster would it not be better to do your 50s on long rest and decend them in sets of 4 rather than do 20 holding a pace on short rest? Maybe the experienced swimmers can chime in on this? Even training for a 200 decending 50s seems like a better approach unless you're an experienced swimmer. No?
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [MadisonGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonGuy wrote:
Hi Dev,

Like you I am also an AOS who is working to become a well balanced swimmer in all of the strokes. So I've been following your posts on the topic, but my approach is a little different. I've been working on the 50's for each stroke, mostly backstroke, for swim meets. Just recently starting in on br and fl.

For getting faster would it not be better to do your 50s on long rest and decend them in sets of 4 rather than do 20 holding a pace on short rest? Maybe the experienced swimmers can chime in on this? Even training for a 200 decending 50s seems like a better approach unless you're an experienced swimmer. No?

Depends on the race distance. To train for the 50, I do long rest 25's. For the 100, short rest 25's. For the 200, shortish rest 50's.

I subscribe to the principal of specificity, and prefer consistent pacing to build neural-muscular memory of swimming at actual race pace. It helps that I have a fairly extensive history of race event results to reference. But descending has been an effective training strategy used by countless swimmers through the years so I'd be foolish to recommend against it. "More than one way to skin a cat" and all that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
MadisonGuy wrote:
Hi Dev,

Depends on the race distance. To train for the 50, I do long rest 25's. For the 100, short rest 25's. For the 200, shortish rest 50's.

I subscribe to the principal of specificity, and prefer consistent pacing to build neural-muscular memory of swimming at actual race pace. It helps that I have a fairly extensive history of race event results to reference. But descending has been an effective training strategy used by countless swimmers through the years so I'd be foolish to recommend against it. "More than one way to skin a cat" and all that.

One of the big reasons for descending (and I mean "proper" descending, not the kind that I tend to do these days which is more of 3 recovery swims followed by a hard one), is that it gets you used to the progressive nature of the fatigue you'll experience in a race. But as you say, there is a place in a well rounded program for short rest intervals, long rest intervals, descending and variable pace intervals, technique work, kicking, pulling, other drills, longer and shorter interval lengths, and so forth.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerobic day.

1200 warm up as 200 free, 50 back x 4, plus 200 snorkel as 50 kick, 150 swim
4 x 50 @ :15 rest, mix strokes
3 x {3 x 100 @ 1:40 aerobic
{200 that is faster than 2 x 100 pace (2:40's)
100 easy
16 x 50 @ 1:00 aerobic with equipment
200 cool-down

4000 long course meters

State Masters Swimming Championship is next weekend. I'll be able to swim only on Friday, which I swam fine by me, since that is distance day. 1000 and 1650 free. I might do both, since there will probably plenty of time between each to recover.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would like you fishies to chime in:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._swim_meet_P6602469/
Quote Reply

Prev Next