Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors
Quote | Reply
She posted on her IG a bit of a rant/advice post about riding aero position on the trainer, basically, she coaches people not to stay in aero while riding indoors, never more than 2-3 minutes since it is far too different from actual riding to be useful. This is a far cry from what I've been told and my own logical thinking but I am still only 3 years into the sport so maybe I'm wrong. I certainly felt like it's helped me and while I could spend months off my TT bike and then hop on and ride for an hour without any discomfort, prepping for an IM, I thought, requires getting used to being in aero. No matter how good a fit is, after close to 6 hours hours (for me...) you are going to feel a bit bent and it can be helped by spending a lot of time in that position in training.

That is why I ask you, ST, is she right in saying one shouldn't worry about being in aero position indoors for >5 minutes (she says to prevent back issues) or does she just not have a good fitter?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Oct 23, 18 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends. But ultimately, if you want to perform well in the aero position you should do your bike practice in the aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is a very interesting discussion.

logic dictates to do your indoor training just like you race. however there are some pros that don’t do a lot of their workouts bent over the bike.

mr record breaker himself, cam wurf even said on gtn channel on youtube most of his rides are upright.

i’m not sure there is a clear cut answer either way.

i personally have went to about 60/40 aero/sitting up while doing my indoor workouts.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that post to and couldn't disagree more...maybe she has back issues though and can't hold that position very long. She also mentions moving around quite a bit during a race so could be a bad fit? Either way if you get used to producing power in aero position then you can optimize your fit, make sure it's as comfortable as it needs to be for your race distance and stay as still as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idk...most pros I follow know just go straight aero when they ride indoors.

All I gotta say about this is: do what is secure for you!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s a horrible idea. If you’re going to do that then ride on a road bike. Then when you switch to the tri bike you’re just rotating your position around the bottom bracket and it’s not changing anything.

Riding out of aero on a tribike doesn’t relate at all to anyone trying to finish a race in a decent time the fit angles are all sorts of wrong in that position.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no fit expert but reviewing the Kona pics, her fit doesn't look horrible, at least no curve on her back (though she is a bit more upright than her peers). I of course worry that she is telling her many followers, many of which I'm sure are beginners, bad advice. So far from the replies, it seems like it is bad indeed... Not like I can do anything about it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. From a training stimulus and adaptation point of view, you could argue that there's some merit to doing VO2 work upright on the hoods. From a specificity point of view, doing work while aero is important as you move from general training to specific and getting closer to race day, whatever race that is

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah who knows really what her intentions are with that post. You certainly don't have to ride all your time in aero but you should have a significant time in that position and feel comfortable enough without any pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody beals also recently said in a post here that he never rides in aero indoors.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 23, 18 11:11
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Cody beals also recently said in a post here that he never rides in aero indoors.

I can’t find the post search isn’t working for some reason. But I found a blog from 2016 from him and he’s riding his road/cross bike indoor. That is a completely different thing than riding on a tribike not in aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it was in his ama after mont tremblant. I vaguely remember josh amberger saying something similar a while ago, wouldn't quote me on that one though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to look at the bigger picture and not just one piece of the puzzle. How are the remaining hours per week on the bike scheduled?

I had my best years when I would spend three early season months doing really hard twice-weekly intervals on the computrainer using a road bike, along with a long slow(ish) ride at the weekend. Then I'd transition into two TTs per week and add the triathlons on top. This way I got plenty of aerobar TT miles in the legs and the power followed over nicely.

So working power and position separately worked for me, just a few weeks of lag. I couldn't have done those hard intervals in the aerobars, maybe parts of them, but the goal was to complete the intervals at whatever cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its easier to sleep on the aerobars indoors. Making less effective workout
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those kind of post (angela) are dangerous as it can be taken out of context easily.

in off season, sure, ride plenty on the hood. But during specific preparation in key session... you just cant run away from specificity.

Anglea probably do a lot of outside riding so she get her time in aerobar. From riding with her for a few months many years ago..she was always in her aerobar outside so my feeling is...she gets the time in. But if your someone that is inside all the time... i would say 2-3min interval just wont be optimal if you care about been as fast as you can be!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do almost all my rides on the trainer. If I didn't ride aero indoors, I would be totally unused to the aero position on race day, and end up sore, and missing some of the necessary specificity of having trained aero.

On that basis, I think her post is either wrong, or was not considering that some people don't do a lot of aero work off the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Offseason and early season I have my road bike on the trainer. But closer to race season I get then I move the tri bike on there. And outside I will have plenty of time in aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be a fit issue for me -- or a misdirected ego, but last winter I spent >95% out of aero. I achieved a PR in FTP -- by a lot. Spring came and I tried to move to aero and in that position my FTP was 15 - 20 % less -- and pretty much stayed there. In part it was because I "needed" to see those bigger numbers, so I wasn't very consistent at staying in aero.

I am doing my best to figure out how to get to a good fitter (it seems that all of the highly recommended ones are a long way from Louisville, KY) so I can get the fit issue figured out. I am also starting out this off-season doing all my indoor rides in aero (except the easy/rest intervals). In an ideal world, this would lead to a great FTP in aero. Also, at least so far, I haven't had the ego issue make me sit up.

So in another month or two I'll have a better basis to judge the no aero position inside theory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fourth fastest bike split for the women in Kona she must know something about training?
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [jfhdvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jfhdvm wrote:
Fourth fastest bike split for the women in Kona she must know something about training?

This is a very poor approach to deciding what one should do. Very, very poor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sebi rides his road bike something like 90% of the time, Starky rides his road bike quite a bit, Jordan Rapp and many other pros do too. It isn't just about back issues, it is all kind of issues, neck, shoulders, even things most people don't think of like femoral artery issues. At the end of the day you need to have the strength, flexibility, and mobility to hold your TT position for the distance you are racing but most athletes greatly over estimate how much time they need in the TT saddle to maintain that position IMHO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a difference though between putting your road bike on the trainer vs. your tri bike, no?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for a long ride on a course similar to your race course. Look at the percentage of time you are going less than 13 mph (the breaking point where sitting upright slows you down more than it helps). Let's say that's 5% of the time. Train that percentage of your time sitting up. If you are spending that time sitting up and climbing a hill, then spend that time on the trainer sitting up in a harder gear as well. For example, I'll pretty much only ride sitting up at or above threshold FTP, since that's what I would be doing on the road (climbing a hill). Once the hill levels out and you start going faster, drop back into aero.

If it's really windy where you live, then it's also advantageous to practice hill climbing and standing to pedal while still in aero position. To do the latter, get in aero position first and then start pedaling, then keep pedaling as you raise your rear end while keeping your front end in the aerobars. It's funky, but it gives your crotch a rest while still being very aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow...I have scoliosis and hadn't thought of that.....light bulb just went off....

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply

Prev Next