Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey guys in fairness to Paulo, he can communicate very well and is fully capable of doing so when he chooses to. Don't for a second think he can't communicate. If you can't communicate, you can't coach, and this forum is not where he coaches...he does that offline quite successfully.
Is he a thin-skinned pussy offline too?
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
well, that is pretty easy to feel, z4(thresold is something i m use to reconise pretty easy when running, i guess experience??? i can usualy guess my heart rate with in 3-4 beats at any given times.... i play that game sometimes when running with others and were a hr monitor strap but someone else as the watch....

i also do intervals on the bike with tom and i have to guess how long was the interval... he mesure them and tell me at the end of the workout if i was off or not...

i know... all this dosnt make any sence....
This thread is supposed to be how awesome I am and how awesome my powermeter numbers are. Can we please get back to talking about that?

Do you remember in Las Cruces when we played the "guess the wattage" game when Paulo took my SRM? I am good at that one...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have to give credit where credit is due... and it s a rappstar thread... so lets focus on rappstar that isnt in BOULDER and asnt SWIM in the RESERVOIR today.

so...yeah. you got good a guessing the watts.... i also like a lot our match of rolling resistance and aero position side by side... rappstar that is like a grizzly bear next to me was more economic on the powermeter every signle time.... must be the tire!!!!

we also did a few 100m swim guess your time and i think bigzach was good at these....not sure about you???? oups...time ot get back to talking about you!!!!

tell us more about your future plan and what race will you do now.... it s not like you have much to recover from!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny... I just sent him an e-mail a moment ago apologizing since it didn't quite go the way I expected. My mistake was including my own data. Live and learn...

Kestrelkerri, I LOVE YOUR POSTS!!! ;-)

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i have to give credit where credit is due... and it s a rappstar thread... so lets focus on rappstar that isnt in BOULDER and asnt SWIM in the RESERVOIR today.

so...yeah. you got good a guessing the watts.... i also like a lot our match of rolling resistance and aero position side by side... rappstar that is like a grizzly bear next to me was more economic on the powermeter every signle time.... must be the tire!!!!

we also did a few 100m swim guess your time and i think bigzach was good at these....not sure about you???? oups...time ot get back to talking about you!!!!

tell us more about your future plan and what race will you do now.... it s not like you have much to recover from!!!
I'm really bad at the guess your swim 100's. I'm only good at guess my watts. I'm okay at guess the HR.

I swam in Thetis Lake today. Thetis is just as nice as any reservoir. I have a DeDutch meeting with SuperCoach Joel to figure out races (or not). I'll let you know what decisions come out of this secret meeting.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I believe that is not your intention. So, I hope my remark didn't imply that I actually believe you are. My wording was rather insensitive and didn't make that distinction, and I apologize for not being more clear.

And, FWIW, I don't think Paulo really finds you entertaining. I think he's trying to help you--albeit in in his own inimitable manner. You'll have to decide if his repeated advice to you on this topic is solid or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or....i chatted with joel.....

he will send you in isolation camp somewhere near a nuclear bomb site in the us..... he want you to train there....

do you want me to get you a air matress at walmart or you will bring yours? should be a lot of fun!!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"You are in the business of triathlon."
Yes
"You are a coaching professional"
No I am not. Also the reasons I post here are not because of business. I coach here because it entertains me. If you ask any of my athletes why they hired me, they will tell you that it's not because of my posting, it's because I am a good coach. I am pretty, pretty sure that my posting hurts my business, and you know what.... I don't give a damn!

Anyway, like I said, go back and read this thread or any other thread. Mr. lakerfan has a tendency to get his panties in a knot everytime anyone contradicts something he says. He's also the first to start with the personal attacks and, because this place is a source of entertainment to me, I have no problem whatsoever in replying to him in the same coin. He amuses me and entertains me with his narrow vision of reality and his unability to take criticism. Also the arrogance he displays in his posts (the credibility of a 3-time Kona qualifier...cripes) makes me look like a choir boy in that department, and I know I have some faults there.

So again, Dev, go back, read his attacks to me, to sinchronicity or to those that contradict him, and send him a similar note than the one you sent me. I know how you like to be a fair person.[/reply]

Dev, you get the prize for making Paulo lose his cool. We see that the wizard gets verbose (and error prone, "I coach here") when you push the right button to open the curtains.

Jonnyo, you need to coach your coach on finding a womens. The mighty Prof of Fluid Dyamics at New Mexico State U really needs some entertainment besides Slowtwitch.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hey Paulo, why take personal shots at Triyoda. He just asked you to make a positive contribution.

As for post race analysis or not, obviously we all agree that everyone should have a game plan. The post race data is nice evidence to see how well it was followed, and as you know in cases where things go south, the data usually tell the tale of why

I think you missed Paulo's point. He said that the race plan was defined in subjective terms. If the plan is defined in loose subjective terms then the issue of whether the objective data supports the contention that the race was executed to plan or not is in fact... well... subjective.

To me the data shown is of interest, but at the same time meaningless. I've never trained with power, don't know this athlete and don't know the course. I think you would need multiple data sets for the same and different athletes on the same course, executing different, objectively defined race plans yielding successful and unsuccessful races to draw truly meaningful conclusions.

I'm certainly not against training with power data, its probably my next move to start doing so, and I'm sure that I can glean some knowledge from training rides that will serve me well in race preparation in order to execute a better bike segment. But I would only be able to draw a meaningful conclusion from the race data if I had a lot of training data to compare it with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the parts w/ Paulo playing the victim and getting offended that others are being mean to him. Priceless.

I swear to god it's like arguing with a woman.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is supposed to be how awesome I am and how awesome my powermeter numbers are. Can we please get back to talking about that?

That sounds nice...

During your climb up Richter Pass or at any other point in the race did you look down at your PM and think, "Geez, I can probably go a little harder than this. Focus you BAMF."

How about you, Lakerfan, did this ever happen to you?
Last edited by: cdanrun: Sep 5, 07 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're new girl Maggie misses Jonny. Please come home.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Paulo, why take personal shots at Triyoda. He just asked you to make a positive contribution.

As for post race analysis or not, obviously we all agree that everyone should have a game plan. The post race data is nice evidence to see how well it was followed, and as you know in cases where things go south, the data usually tell the tale of why

I think you missed Paulo's point. He said that the race plan was defined in subjective terms. If the plan is defined in loose subjective terms then the issue of whether the objective data supports the contention that the race was executed to plan or not is in fact... well... subjective.

To me the data shown is of interest, but at the same time meaningless. I've never trained with power, don't know this athlete and don't know the course. I think you would need multiple data sets for the same and different athletes on the same course, executing different, objectively defined race plans yielding successful and unsuccessful races to draw truly meaningful conclusions.

I'm certainly not against training with power data, its probably my next move to start doing so, and I'm sure that I can glean some knowledge from training rides that will serve me well in race preparation in order to execute a better bike segment. But I would only be able to draw a meaningful conclusion from the race data if I had a lot of training data to compare it with.

I highlighted every significant point above (all of which I completely agree with too).

First, let's review a quick snapshot from his race plan:

My race plan was roughly, 280 / ~295 / ~310 by 60k, but I said that 280/290/300 would be okay depending on how I felt. I also knew that the last 60k was more like 40k, so my plan was really for ~160k. I reset my SRM every 60k, as I wanted to be able to track each increment during the race.

I didn't want to go over 330 too much (~my 1/2im target wattage), and I really didn't want to go over 350, which is the upper end of z3 according to my Coggan power numbers. And I absolutely under no circumstances ever wanted to see anything over 400, though of course I did just a very little bit

Does that seem like an RP based completely on subjective terminology to any of you? Pretty specific, imho, and something you could easily match/compare my post-race analysis data against.

One significant challenge I have is presenting multiple data sets (mind you, I did provide two). I can show you multiple data sets yielding positive/successful results but how do you think the guy who has a poor result and numbers to back it up is going to feel about me plastering it all over ST??? Believe me, I've been absolutely flooded with e-mail over the last few days and I can show you at least 2 files from IMC right now which have what I consider to be troublesome numbers but I don't even have the balls to ask the person if I can use their data to further support my analysis in any public fashion. I do know of one individual who I wish would offer up his data because I think it would be quite educational given his result but that's a decision for him, not me. Again, power data is a touchy subject. I refuse to use or share someone's data unless I get strict permission to do so. Just ask Jordan how sensitive I was in using his data. I think I asked him at least 3 times before I posted anything.

No doubt, training data is one of the most significant factors when establishing proper guidance for racing. Although, I honestly assumed that was common sense so I didn't make it a point to identify as such in my original post. As I'm sure you already know, in order to not write a book on a forum I have to make some assumptions. This is one of those assumptions. Hope that makes sense to people.

Btw, if you think you're frustrated with the so-called limited amount of data being presented in several of my posts then imagine how I feel. I have data... I have tons of data (but I have limited Pro data)... I have some very interesting private and personal conversations with people behind the scenes and I'm just absolutely dying to share it with people but unfortunately I'm limited in what I can present and say on a public forum. Jordan's willingness to share his data in this fashion is extremely rare from my experience. If you in any way find value from the information/analysis then I would ask that you thank him, not me.

So, it's safe to say that what I'm presenting is very reflective of other data sets yielding similar results. And if you haven't read this then please do -- I believe it provides some keen insight into how we think, our goal, etc. I wish Rick would have written this prior to my posting:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1468736

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris

where would I find that

thanks

[ You should read my IMC race report. I think it might be enlightening to people...

Thanks, Chris[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That sounds nice...

During your climb up Richter Pass or at any other point in the race did you look down at your PM and think, "Geez, I can probably go a little harder than this. Focus you BAMF."

At Yellow Lake... That was hard.

Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
chris

where would I find that

thanks

[. You should read my IMC race report. I think it might be enlightening to people...

Thanks, Chris

I only have it in pdf at the moment -- it's not posted on a website. Your e-mail isn't listed in your profile so please feel free to hit me at: chris at chriswhyte dot net

I'll reply with a copy.

Thanks!!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That sounds nice...

My experience might be different than others. Here's the best way I can answer your question...

My mind doesn't think in terms of "can I go harder at this very moment." I'm always thinking in terms of:

1. How am I currently feeling?
2. What are current conditions?
3. What are future conditions looking like?
4. What is my goal for the IM bike (as a reminder)?

I simply know what my power needs to be on Richter when I'm climbing. Now on this specific day, Richter was a critical spot in the race, imho. The winds were swirling a bit and I know all of us were saying to ourselves, "Damn... It's going to get ugly as soon as we turn the corner back toward Keremeos and through the rollers...." The decision of what I should do with my power at this point was an easy one. Patience, patience, patience... I slightly build power throughout the ride because we face conditions like we did at IMC all too often. Rather than build my power I chose to maintain it and make a decision to build later during the out-and-back. I knew I was going to be on the bike a bit longer than I originally planned.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can show you at least 2 files from IMC right now which have what I consider to be troublesome numbers
Thanks, Chris [/reply]

uh-oh, that could be me.

So if a VI of 1.05 is good, how bad is a VI of 1.19?

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [Forsler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can show you at least 2 files from IMC right now which have what I consider to be troublesome numbers
Thanks, Chris [/reply]

uh-oh, that could be me.

So if a VI of 1.05 is good, how bad is a VI of 1.19?

Actually, it wasn't you but only because I just haven't had the time to look at it yet. So sorry, I'm usually pretty good at responding immediately with, "Got your e-mail but give me some time to thoroughly review it before I respond in detail." I didn't do that with you and I apologize.

I see your file now. Yes, I have lots of questions for you... :-)

Btw, your VI was 1.13. You know this already but ride variability (VI) is just one thing to take into consideration. You are very kind (and brave) to request that I share your data openly on ST. I won't do that quite yet and might save that for a separate thread. Either way, can you tell me much more about your IM run, overall run fitness, pacing, etc (in as much detail as possible). You can do it via e-mail for now.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much as I've enjoyed the banter on this thread, I want to thank you for your original post. It struck me that using your power/pacing technique would be perfect for someone like me. I have completed three ID races in past five years. I'm relatively slow (IMF 12:55, GFT 12:45, GFT 12:35 - I hope my progression to break 12 is not linear) and can manage to average only about 11 hours per week of training. Frankly, I don't have the miles or experience to have confidence in my feel for appropriate pace on bike, yet, I believe that bike pacing is key to performance. Seems that with powermeter I can test my fitness and use that to develop a race pace strategy in which I'd have much more confidence than my past pacing method, which was to just go easy.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: An Analysis of Rappstar's Ride at IMC [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Much as I've enjoyed the banter on this thread, I want to thank you for your original post. It struck me that using your power/pacing technique would be perfect for someone like me. I have completed three ID races in past five years. I'm relatively slow (IMF 12:55, GFT 12:45, GFT 12:35 - I hope my progression to break 12 is not linear) and can manage to average only about 11 hours per week of training. Frankly, I don't have the miles or experience to have confidence in my feel for appropriate pace on bike, yet, I believe that bike pacing is key to performance. Seems that with powermeter I can test my fitness and use that to develop a race pace strategy in which I'd have much more confidence than my past pacing method, which was to just go easy.
The powermeter is a great enabler. I'd rather race on a $500 frame with a powermeter, than a $5000 frame without one. There is just no substitute. And it's not just triathletes. Levi Leipheimer felt that his SRM was so valuable that he decided to race the TdF with it. Being a small guy, it wasn't hard to keep his bike at the 6.8kg limit even with an SRM. And he got himself 2nd place, despite not being, likely, the 2nd most talented athlete (obviously the team he had played a big role), but I thought his decision was very telling. The whole CSC team trains with SRM's in the offseason. And Floyd won (or whatever you want to call it with the controversy) riding a PowerTap all last year; even with the TdF title in the courts, he still won the Tour of California riding a PowerTap. I don't think there is any question as to how much of a difference it can make in your training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do why do you need the littel red computer on your bike when we clearly show that you dont need it to know what watts you are riding..... you guessometer was pretty accurate already...so even without the srm... you do know what watts you are riding!!!! i m a freaking genuis... i save 1lbs of your bike!!!!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get stupider the harder you are exercising... Plus, I'd rather not think about it. It's easier to just look down! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes...... you are right.... we do get stupid sometimes.... like that time that you went icing your legs in the ocean and end up in a airplane flying to penticton!!!!!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha! I love it! http://www.rappstar.com/...isdom-of-jonnyo.html

:)

Quote Reply

Prev Next