Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [BQforlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked, Detroit was in Michigan. Did they move it to North Carolina?

Hopes and prayers to Amy. As a Dad, I worry about something like this happening and all of the repercussions.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Last edited by: gregtryin: Sep 21, 12 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro hac vice (IPA: [prəʊ hæk 'vi:tʃei]), Latin: "for this occasion" or "for this event" (literally, "for this turn") is a legal term usually referring to a lawyer who has not been admitted to practice in a certain jurisdiction but has been allowed to participate in a particular case in that jurisdiction.
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [tightline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tightline wrote:
I haven't posted in years but wanted to add my positive thoughts to Amy, her family, and her friends. I have lived through what she is going through right now. On May 30th 2009 I was hit by a van going 55 MPH almost exactly where Amy was hit. I went through the same treatments she has gone through so far. Induced coma, surgeries to repair broken bones, ear reatachment..... and on and on and on. I know what she is going through. I know what her family and friends are going through as well. This will not be easy but, I hope that she will come through it. It has been 3.5 years and I am finally through it. To any of her family and friends, it is possible to recover from this completely. It takes a lot of hard work and drive but from what I read, those are not things that are lacking in Amy. My deepest thoughts to all involved. Life is tough.... we are tougher.

I can only imagine that this would be incredibly helpful for them to hear. thanks so much for posting and congratulations on your recovery!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [100dupont] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is at Henry Ford Hospital room 455A. She may have been moved however.
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenschaf wrote:
Been thinking a lot about Amy in the past few days and wishing her the best for a speedy recovery.

Are there details anywhere about how the accident happened?

Here was the message I recieved:

Details: It was about 3 pm, Sat., Sept. 15, 2012. Amy was biking with Dave Pasco in Metamora (near Lapeer, MI). Amy decided to do an out and back portion without Dave while he waited for her at the car. She was heading eastbound and a gravel hauler (a long train-like gravel hauler) was heading westbound. Amy was wearing her orange Team Mongo jersey. So, the color was such that it would not blend with anything, but it was not neon either. The truck-driver turned left in front of her and hit her. He told the police that he did not see her. There was no evidence that the driver was texting & driving, talking on the cell phone & driving, drunk or high. His driver’s license did say he wore glasses & he was not, however I do not know if he was wearing contact lenses. Amy’s Garmin did not give any information that would help with determining what actually happened. There was a car that was behind the gravel hauler whose driver called 911. So, there was a witness. Dave Pasco identified Amy at the hospital. They called Amy’s mom as she was the I.C.E. (in case of emergency) on Amy’s cell.
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
Last time I checked, Detroit was in Michigan. Did they move it to North Carolina?

Hopes and prayers to Amy. As a Dad, I worry about something like this happening and all of the repercussions.

Greg

If NC want's it they can have it. :)

Quote | Reply
My cousin happens to be the top neurosurgeon working with Amy. Dr. Steven Kalkanis is taking great care of her and says she is very strong and they are doing the very best they can with her. She is in a very difficult position but if anyone can help her it's Dr K. Top of class at Harvard undergrad and top of class neurosurgeons at Harvard. Amy has the best of care you can get. Plus she is stubborn and really pissed off about not racing Kona this October so watch out!! An upset Gluck is nothing anyone would like to deal with - trust me! And she's pissed off! :)

Citius, Altius, Fortius
Last edited by: trigreek: Sep 22, 12 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [trigreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a great gathering at the hospital last night. Must have been 80 people and the news team showed up to air a piece on the story.
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [edwhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unreal. Glad to hear that she is improving!
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [AlexG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexG wrote:
We had a great gathering at the hospital last night. Must have been 80 people and the news team showed up to air a piece on the story.

Thanks for keeping us posted on how she is doing and any up-dates. I do not know Amy, but dedicated my weekend of training to her and will continue to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update.

Adrienne and I were saddened to read about the incident.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From boyfriend Dave Pasco "No words to describe the feeling. She is still in a coma but can still hold my hand." Very powerful picture.

Also, to support Amy in recovery SOAS has some very cool wristbands for sale. All procedes go to support her recovery.

http://shop.soasracing.com/...-love-amy-sweatband/

Citius, Altius, Fortius
Last edited by: trigreek: Sep 24, 12 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Mom grew up not far from there. It's tough riding in some of the more rural parts of Michigan. There are a lot of bad places to ride in Michigan due to the drivers and disrepair of the roads in general.

Condolences to her and her loved ones.
Last edited by: lhpoulin: Sep 24, 12 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its been a horrible year around my parts. (Buffalo,NY)

So many guys and girls went down hard. Seems more so then ever. Must be the nice weather had everybody out, drivers alike.

Actually had a women hit and killed by a motorcycle nearby......

Ride defensive! Consider everybody's going to turn into you, blow the stop sign, pull out, etc....Still cant run from the rear end!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our thoughts and prayers have been with Amy and will continue to send positive energy to Amy from AZ. We will help spread the word on all fundraising opportunities to help Amy with the financial burden of this horrific accident. We will keep Red Rock athletes current on her status through our facebook page and will contact NotOneMore to see if there is financial assistance that they can provide as well. Who would be the best person for NotOneMore to reach out to with an offer for financial, legal and prayer assistance?

proudly producing high caliber races in the Southwest including Marquee and Soma Triathlons
http://www.redrockco.com
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [RedRockCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have good news to report. Amy has been opening her eyes and is moving her arms and legs. She even mouthed hello. Sort of hard to do with a vent in your mouth when you haven't talked for 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexG wrote:
I have good news to report. Amy has been opening her eyes and is moving her arms and legs. She even mouthed hello. Sort of hard to do with a vent in your mouth when you haven't talked for 2 weeks.

Awesome. With any luck, she'll be back some time in the future.

Our community puts white bikes on the side of the road where a cyclist died. A constant reminder.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [trigreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a powerful photo. Good thoughts and prayers for Amy coming down her way from Petoskey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to read these stories, hope she is okay and gets back to her successful career soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome news!!!! She will continue to be in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really sorry to hear about this. I highly recommend someone relay some info about the Raisin Hope Foundation (http://raisinhope.ning.com/) to the family. It is run by Saul Raisin, who went into a coma in a pro road race crash and emerged later. His foundation helps people navigate the recovery options and is a real source of hope for families of those who experience head trauma. I'm writing to him to mention Amy's situation.
Last edited by: dgran: Sep 26, 12 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [edwhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news. Hope she recovers!
Quote Reply
Re: Amy Gluck hit by a semi [shadygradyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope she recovers quickly!!!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next