Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [techrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run course is all dirt, no roads. The uphills sections are like hiking trails, rocks, roots etc. but the downhill sections are mostly wide dirt roads. No technical downhill parts really at all. I wore trail shoes last year but would have been fine with my regular sneakers. Not sure what it would be like if it were really muddy though.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So road racing flats (Saucony Fastwitch) are probably not a good idea???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Partial trail, partial carriage road. The uphills are mostly trail and the downhills mostly carriage road. If it is muddy, you might want trail shoes, but plenty of people run the course with road shoes. Two years ago I ran with very light trail shoes and was fine.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the info...Trail shoes it is. Came off an ankle injury about a month and a half ago - so ankle brace as well, I guess..

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm massive right now, but I don't have any plans that weekend and I've never been to that part of NY.
Anyone from Maryland south driving up I-81 that wants to carpool? It's 10 hrs for me, I'd like to break that up.

I have a feeling I'll either do middle or LC, I'm waffling.
I have a feeling I won't be able to push a clutch in afterwards whichever I choose.

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a strong proponent of your lightest racing flats on this course. The uphills are rocky, yes, but also steep enough that the pounding is limited. The downhills, meanwhile, are beautifully even and fast---speed is really important on the carriage trails. Last year, I did 6 min/mile pace for the loop, and that was offset by 9-10 min/mile on the uphills. In other words, no matter what the pace, you will be going super fast at points. LunaRacers were absolutely perfect last year.

Also, I have said this before but I think the run course is one of the most fun, best designed in the country.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were racing and going for the win I'd wear a firm road flat if the trails were dry

If I was racing hard but not going for a win I'd wear the Salomon Speedcross or adidas adizero XT.

If I were just trying to finish I'd wear what ever is really comfy for a long day on the trails. For me that would be the Salomon S-Lab XT Wings. Your normal road shoe would be fine as well.

Since all I will be doing is timing you fools I'll be wearing Salomon Wings Sky GTX or XT Wings.

And yes I have a lot of shoes to choose from. Comes with the job

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firm road flat all the way! For those that have not seen the trails and are slightly experienced off-road, they are not too gnarly at all. And for anyone doing the LC, on the second run, walking will be more fun in a very light shoe! :)

Note: I say that from my 2008 experience. I think I was passed by physically disabled snails.

------
David Roche
Last edited by: DaveRoche: Apr 16, 10 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The downhills, meanwhile, are beautifully even and fast---speed is really important on the carriage trails. ...... you will be going super fast at points.

So what you are saying is that I should enjoy the last few weeks of having a big toenail????
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I do have a little bit of experience in Duathlon and also in trail racing as well as 18 years in the footwear industry and for about 90% of the people that I've seen race AZ I'd advise against wearing a road flat as I see the negatives out weighing any positives.

Sure the light weight would feel nice but the lack of support when tired and the increased rate of pronation due to the soft surface will only decrease the amount of power transfer each footstrike is providing.

Of course you can't walk the day after AZ no matter what you wore, so a little extra damage won't matter

Just my opinion, do with it as you wish

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black is the new red in toenail fashion.

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are totally right. Sorry. My inclinations to minimalism got the best of me.

Also, for everyone (especially my good friend Cassie), always assume that I know absolutely nothing, and you will never be too far from the truth :)

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [mountainman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Black is the new red in toenail fashion.

in that case my left big toe is on the catwalk and my right big toe is so last year :)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it sold-out? The website says no longer accepting entries.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The official website is www.cm2promotions.com . We're not sold out yet, but getting closer to selling out, faster, than in years past.
The 112 mile Iron I.T.T. is also filling up nicely.
Less than 4 weeks to go.
For LC studs who want my money, Josh Beck has confirmed his entry. For those who don't know Josh, at the 2009 Savageman half iron, he threw down the fastest bike and run splits. After spotting race winner Bjorn Andersson over 15 minutes in the swim, he came in 2nd overall to Bjorn by less than 2 minutes.
Josh has won AmZof before, and placed 3rd overall at Powerman Zofingen in 2005.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stopped procrastinating and registered for the F1.

WOW there are a lot of disclaimers...freakin Lawyers ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without leaves on the trail, I would agree with Dave and wear racing flats if I was really pushing to hit a top performance. However, if my goal was to simply finish the day then I would wear something a little more solid. For short course I would definately wear flats.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [tri_francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the bike? Road or tri bike?

I've used a tri bike there twice and frankly, I think this course makes it a wash whether or not to use road or tri positioning. Almost all of your meaningful power output needs to be put into going uphill. Not that you won't benefit at all from being aero, but there are only a few sections where you will want to be riding hard in the aero position. To put it another way, ML didn't win last year because of his new P4. :) If I had an aero road bike like a Cervy Soloist or S1, that would be my choice, with some aero bars bolted on. If all I had was a tri bike, I would probably slide my seat back as far as it would go and raise my bars so I had a very comfortable climbing position.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Without leaves on the trail, I would agree with Dave and wear racing flats if I was really pushing to hit a top performance. However, if my goal was to simply finish the day then I would wear something a little more solid. For short course I would definately wear flats.

Chad

I'm on a reconnaissance mission of the short course, with the goal being that I keep my left big toenail for the summer ahead. My racing flats have not been helping me with that goal thus far this season.

Sounds like training shoes for me, thx! :)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I'm leaning in that direction as well.
As far as lawyers are concerned, no one hates them more than other lawyers.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so where is murphys law? i know he isnt at the pool swimming.
this thread is missing his wonderful brand of trash talk. heck, this whole forum is missing him.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [pjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He takes a slowtwitch vacation every year to avoid wasting time during the winter. This year I think he extended it to May 1. If that is the case, he'll have plenty of time to provide a few beer-induced rants before the actual event.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

had the winter off, hiked a lot and did this^^.

had planter the entire time, getting better now

in for the ITT, will die, isn't the race in the fall?

see you's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tetsuoni: Just out of curiosity, how many people are entered in the Long Course race. Kind of want to know how many people are going to kick my a$$.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2010 [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ and growing.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply

Prev Next