Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick,

I think I am being honest, and I am the opposite of you in that I am usually very careful about what I say and rarely renig, or go back on a decision. I did not say that I will never do one, just that to this point and for about 18 more years I don't see how it would be humanly possible for me without sacrificing more than I am willing to and knowing that I haven't had the slightest desire to do it. So many people ask me why do it if your not going to do IM, and that is why I started this thread to see if it was just me, or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tribodyboarder, but I don't and didn't insinuate that those who embark on IM don't have lives. True, mine is full to the brim and I am squeezing every second out of every day and loving it, but anyone who can do the same and get the time in to go long...my hat's off to you, but I don't want to be in your shoes (bike or running for that matter) Good luck in April and post your race report.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you also for posting....I had a very difficult time balancing work, grad school, and training for "only" a HIM...and then only to get hurt 2 weeks prior to my goal race....is the 8 months of recovering from my injury worth the training for one race? hardly. My doc told me to get smart and stick to sprints and Oly's. And, I can still have a social life...because then I'm not running to physical therapy all the time too!

and I agree, IM sets are fun...if you limit the fly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookem,

You are not alone. I also have no desire to finish an Ironman distance event.I love training for and racing in sprint and Oly distance triathlons but I rather find it unhealthy to race in an Ironman distance event.

Finishing and racing an Ironman is two different things.

As far as Ironman being the pinnacle of this sport...well let's just say I would rather finish an Oly distance under 2 hours(which btw takes a lot more training) rather than finishing an Ironman in 15-16 hours.

But everybody is different,whatever floats your boat.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [Btag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lou,

Nice letter in Inside Tri. You're famous!!! : )

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribodyboarder---"About Ironman being the pinnacle, what about the Deca-Ironman? Wouldn't THAT be the pinnacle? I'm thinking for those folks a mere single ironman is a walk in the park!"

Going to tell you a little secret--the deca is NOT the pinnacle, not even for the IUTAers. Many/most have no desire to do the distance (I believe only 61 official finishers to date), and after doing it and going back next year for more, I am still uncertain what I am seeking. For days you strip away EVERYTHING and you only have just you--its a scary place to be and no way is it the pinnacle--I wouldn't consider it triathlon. It's a unique journey and the bonds you make with those with you is unmatched to anything I have experienced. Something I couldn't find at the IM/double/triple ect distance. Ironically during the deca I found the same pain I feel during a sprint/oly/half, and the same mental test as I do during Iron. All I kept saying over and over during the deca was how much I was looking forward to the quintuple (half deca) same words I say when I Iron how much I look forward to the half. However, the truly humbling that happens I have never felt during any event but the deca. I wouldn't wish the deca on anybody, it is something you would want to do deep down, and trust me when I say this, anyone that WANTS to finish a deca can, the numbers just seem daunting, the task is not. I trained more when I did Iron than I do for double on up. The deca is a mind game, the Iron is physical torture.

To the original poster: I respect ALL distances, and have learned and utilized so many tidbits from the beginner to the elite. That to me is what is so cool about the Tri lifestyle. If you don't want to do Iron, don't do it. Sprints are hard as hell, and I sit back in awe at those that nail them week after week. Of course nothing tops Hunter Kemper in my eyes :-) so you know how I stand on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info Eileen. I really don't know how you muster the motivation to spend an entire 7 days (or however many days it takes you) doing one "race". It's humbling, and when I'm doing my first IM, I'll be thinking about your race report from Mexico that you posted a while back to keep me going!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
world record I think is just shy of 8 days. Try just shy of 14 days for me (thanks to health bs issues--it's not healthy!) I am planning on cracking 12 in France in June--provided there is a race. Thats why I don't consider deca a 'race'. I consider it an experience. After just a few short days you know what order people are finishing in, you don't get that during races.

You will do wonderful at the IM. Work on the mind end because the physical will be there when you show up, it will be up to the mind to get you in the zone and hold the zone and handle variety on the fly!

If you can work in some sprints/olys I always found those very beneficial for Iron. Something about that speedwork you wouldn't do to yourself on your own training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought this sport is a vortex. It's pretty easy to get sucked into the drive to complete an ironman. I've always said that I won't get sucked into that vortex, but the fact is that it is an amazingly difficult feat to accomplish for most mortals and yet mortals who train seriously achieve it all the time. And, I won't deny I'd love to be one of those people running through the chute of cheering people in the dark and leaping across the finish line (ala AndyPants). That said, the reality is that it requires an extended period of intense training that is hard on the body and especially hard on the family. I find marathon training overwhelming at times in both respects, so I know I'm not ready to tackle the IM beast.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla

I am with you. I have only done Sprint and Oly's. But I also have passed on many good waves to train.

You are smart to keep your Immune system in check. Most people take their health for granted. You can't afford to. Congrads on your IM's

Bob

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Dec 20, 05 22:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jay

Good point . There will always be a longer race! Were does it end.

Bob

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're in denial. Your sub-conscious wants to do an IM, the very fact the topic has been raised is enough to suggest so.

I'll get to do an IM one day. I actually qualified for IM Australia next year but passed on the spot for pretty much the same reason many have given here - Time commitment.

I have no interest in doing all that training and taking the time away from other aspects of my life to just 'make up the numbers'. If I decide to compete in the event, I would like to do it to the best of my ability at the time, not in some half-baked way dragging my ass around the course in 15hrs and not enjoying the struggle. That in no way implies I'm intent on winning anything, toping my AG or whatever benchmark you care to apply, but knowing within myself I could have done better with the right preparation. Therefore it would feel a somewhat empty or wasted effort.

With a young family and demanding job, I cannot justify the demands that doing an IM to my best efforts would require. You could say I would do 3 things badly (father, profession, IM) rather than 1 thing well. That's obviously a value judgement I have made, whereas I know of many who have done the exact opposite, and that's fine and a decision I respect. One day I'll have all the time I need to do an IM - if I really want, just not at the moment.

Why not keep it on the backburner, you'll do one eventually, afterall you're still talking about it!

Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [JK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman distance is for the old farts and the guys that can't get off their bike and run a 31 min 10k. But since they don't have much speed they can go a long way.

If you don't want to do an Ironman so what? To be an Ironman you really only have to swim for an hour or so , ride your bike for 6 and a half, and walk till midnight. I would trade my two top 10% finishes in Ironman 82 and 86 just to once feel how it would be to go a sub 1hr 50 min International distance race or slam down a 30 min 10 k.

I think if any average joe trains a few years doing an Ironman is possible, but not many people will ever experience the need for speed and break even a 1:58 for an OLY event.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eileen Steil

You got my respect. GO!!!

Good luck Bob

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is NM close enough for you to owe me a Coke? :-D

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just think it's great that you do any kind of triathlon as it is quite an achievement especially if you have overcome obstacles to get there, what ever they may have been! Well done if it was just a sprint or right up to you nut-job ultra distance freaks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
just that to this point and for about 18 more years I don't see how it would be humanly possible for me without sacrificing more than I am willing to

What I'm trying to tell you is that, yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. Ironman training doesn't need to and shouldn't take over your life. Most weeks I train less than 10hrs. I have a demanding job with night and weekend call and I have 3 very active kids and I run the entire swim program in our community. I never miss their events and I train when everyone else is sleeping. It takes a little extra discipline to get up at 5am or 4:30am every morning but it is worth it. I have won 4 sprint/oly diatance overall and finished top 3 in many others. I would trade all of those for just one of my Ironman finishes. Just look at Ray Britt, he has qualified for Hawaii multiple times on like 6-7 hrs training per week. You just have to train smart.

Why would you post on a site populated in the majority with IMers and state that you have no desire to do an Ironman yet you would do a 1/2 IM? I'm not buying it. Either you are trolling or you are rationalizing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I respect your commitment to the sport, a deca is a "fringe" sport. It is by no means the pinnacle of triathlon. I am surprised how you people struggle with the concept of pinnacle. For Ex. the Dayton 500 is the pinnacle of stock car racing. The world cup is the pinnacle of soccer. The superbowl is the pinnacle of football. The olympics is the pinnacle of track and field. Kona is the pinnacle of triathlon. Just because there are some other obscure super long races doesn't mean anyone cares about them. 5K's, 10K's, sprints, and Oly's are for suckers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Anyone else enjoy the shorter distances for what they are, and have no desire to take it to the IM level?"

I'm with you on this. These days, an olympic tri seems like an IM to me. I barely have enough time to train for a 1/2 mile swim. The longest I ever go in practice is 1,000 meters.
i get much more personal satisfaction in placing in my age group than I do completing long distances. If I can get this personal satisfaction from doing 5ks, 10ks, duathlons and sprint tris, I have no desire spending much more time training for longer distance events.
Don't get me wrong. I have high respect for the athletic and mental achievement of Imers. It is just not something I want to do (or train for).
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahem - not necessary to diss IM'ers to make the point that you prefer the shorter stuff. Have you tried it? And whether you have or haven't - it's uncool, and unsportsmanlike to diss IM. Bad boy!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahem, fine if IM wasn't magical for you, but if you ask most IM'ers - I'd bet they'd tell you it is.

And, not cool, and unsportsmanlike to diss anybody who happens to be slower than you, Show some respect for your fellow triathletes, man.

So, stick to the short ones, we don't want you at IM with that attitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [john b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I want to collect the whole set" - Beautifully explicated, John B.

Triathlon is a wide range of experiences: sample it to the fullest at your own pace then select which parts are best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if any average joe trains a few years doing an Ironman is possible, but not many people will ever experience the need for speed and break even a 1:58 for an OLY event.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well said...

As I stated before doing an Ironman just for the sake of finishing under 17hrs is possible for almost everybody..you do not need the long training hours or commitments and all that....Ironman concept is totally commercialized otherwise time limits would be 14 hrs or less.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran for fun and fitness for 20 years, never completing anything longer than the falmouth road race (7.1 miles)
Then a neighbor told me she'd run the disney half. I looked at her and said damn if she can do it so can I . so I did. then the next year I did the whole thing. Never in 20 years of 'jogging' (I won't call what I do running) did I ever think I'd complete a marathon. Now my goal is to get under 4 hours . I've come close.

a few years later some guys are know started riding bikes. so I joined em.
when they said let's do a century , I did't hesitate for a second.

then they said hey let's do tris. I resisted, made excuses, really did NOT want to do it. I hated swimming. Well a year and half later I'm looking back at a year in which I compelted 3 olys in around 3 hours each.

I don't think I'll ever do a IM, but I 'm sure as hell not gonna say I won't someday. The peer pressure you allude to about completing an IM is not a bad thing. Without my group of friends , I wouldn't have got in the water for my first sprint.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [zoomzoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next