Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Accel II Disc ??
Quote | Reply
Anyone use this disc wheel? Any thoughts and or comments would be appreciated.

How does it compare to Zipp or HED?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Accel II Disc ?? [therascal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a track one and it weighted 800 grams instead of the advertised 680 grams - I don't think they count the axle and other hardware in the weight (neither do some of the other disk wheel manufacturers). The quality of the hub is very low. Supposedly it uses ceramic bearings. My Hed Superlite weighed in at 1150 grams for a comparison. If you have every mounted a tubular on a disk wheel you know that it's pretty hard to stretch some tires on them. With this wheel you have to be careful not to puncture the kevlar skin with your fingers as people with a lot of hand strength can do this. I don't use brakes on it but you can see Jeannie Longo and Eric Wohlberg use theirs in time trials. It also has a very small surface to mount tires - 19-21 mm may be optimal, depending upon brand. Have never used Zipp, but at the track I have less issues with the bearings than the folks with Zipp wheels. A friend who bought a used Accel had the hub shell separate from the kevlar skin (he's extremely strong) but simply used expoy to fix it . Recommend a padded wheel bag or wheel box for travel with this ( or any disk wheel).
Quote Reply
Re: Accel II Disc ?? [therascal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=accel;#411472

regards, Jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Accel II Disc ?? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they keep sending that out of true wheel to different people. :)
Quote Reply