Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee
Quote | Reply
I see a few threads with specific questions, but not an uberthread yet on the 2022 USAT Olympic:/ sprint Nationals?

I love this race and this venue. It’ll be my 4th in Milwaukee, and I’ll keep going as many times as they’ll do it there. The energy and atmosphere are great, the course is fair, the logistics are good.

Who is going? Questions? What are you excited for?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going back for round 4 at that venue (went in 2014, 2015, and 2021). It's a great venue in so many ways - nearby hotels, easy parking near the race HQ, and, in theory, a nice cooling effect from being on the lakefront. Looking forward to a closed bike course that supports hammering out a good bike split and then the nice run in the park, and really looking forward to people I only see at nationals/worlds. Doing the double, as always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there! I'm always excited to see the "old guys" blow by me like I'm barely moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live in Madison but my first time racing Nationals. Venue seems perfect! Looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just pulled the trigger and signed up. My fitness (and weight) is not where it was last year after a cervical disc replacement in January. This will be a celebration race that I can still swim, bike, and run. It's an easy drive from Indy and looking forward to a fun weekend with my wife (and no kids). We are staying and the St. Kate which is such a cool place.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

MKE is one of the best venues/races courses I've seen...and I've raced or watched races on 4 continents and 10-12 countries.

Wish I hadn't tore my calf and ended my racing career. USATAGNC is one of the most competitive races in the US year after year after year after year.

Probably the only race in the last 6-8 years where I showed up and wondered if I'd make the top 10 in my AG. At 70.3's it was always will I be top 3 or top 5. Top 3 at AGNC never crossed my mind.

So competitive, so deep, so fast & so much fun + a wave start so it's head to head racing not rolling

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 2, 22 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there doing both the Olympic and sprint races. Coming from Colorado, I'm excited to race near sea level, but not excited for the humidity.

Does anyone have a report on the road conditions? I did these races in 2013/2014, and remember the roads being pretty decent, but a lot can change since then.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
other than a few spots (that are marked), the roads were in good shape last year from what I can recall.

I am going again this year, will take in a Brewers game friday night as well

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just heard that the expansion joints are really bad on the "Hoan Bridge" part of the bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
I just heard that the expansion joints are really bad on the "Hoan Bridge" part of the bike course.

I remember not enjoying those in '13/ '14, but last year I didn't notice them too much. Not sure if that is because I'm a more experienced rider or if they got better. Maybe also because I'm now running 28mm tires on a carbon bike instead of 23s on aluminum!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you doing the Oly, curious what your taper looks like this week. For me:

M: recovery ride; 2100y OWS
T: 45 min run with 4x1min threshold; 3000 scy pool
W: 60 min Zwift session with 2x5min O/U blocks and long cool down
R: 30 min run with a few pick-ups; 20 min swim ez
F: travel

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:

You'll notice them/feel them, but they aren't a crash hazard/future source of income for your dentist anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I see a few threads with specific questions, but not an uberthread yet on the 2022 USAT Olympic:/ sprint Nationals?

I love this race and this venue. It’ll be my 4th in Milwaukee, and I’ll keep going as many times as they’ll do it there. The energy and atmosphere are great, the course is fair, the logistics are good.

Is this the 4th time in a row? Any plans to go somewhere else next year? Milwaukee is a bit far for me to want to go for an oly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to derail but been looking….Have they announced 2023 venue yet?
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first National and we have tickets for Friday's game as well. I can thank them for trading their closer to my Padres!
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just realized I can only sign up for the sprint, oof. everything's booked but that's a long way to go for a sprint race

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, this is 2 in a row. I believe:

22 - Milwaukee
21 - Milwaukee
20 - COVID
19 - Cleveland
18 - Cleveland
17 - Omaha
16 - Omaha
15 - Milwaukee
14 - Milwaukee
13 - Milwaukee
12 - Burlington

Been fortunate living in Michigan to be able to drive to Milwaukee and Cleveland. It can stay in Milwaukee forever as far as I’m concerned!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Interested in this, too.

I thought about going this year but decided to try next year instead.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Heard it will be Milwaukee again next year and then probably somewhere else. Of the ones I've raced, its one of my favorites... Omaha, Cleveland and Milwaukee... this will be my 4th time racing in Milwaukee.

I've taken my expectations off the table with two crashes this year that put a wrinkle in my training... twice. Last year I set a goal to podium in the Oly and Sprint and did... this year we will see.

In for the Oly and Sprint double.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just checking the schedule and M 40-44 is the last AG to go off (9:35AM!)! Anyone know why it's setup this way? That's a killer wait with transition closing at 6:55AM...
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [TXAgeGrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:
I was just checking the schedule and M 40-44 is the last AG to go off (9:35AM!)! Anyone know why it's setup this way? That's a killer wait with transition closing at 6:55AM...

They take the estimated times that everybody put in when they registered and run them through a program to optimize course density.

I've been in that second to last or last group multiple times. If your hotel is close enough, go to transition when it opens to set up, and then go back to your hotel at 5:30 am and stay there for a couple of hours.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I don't think I've ever started a race so late. It's going to be hard not to get caught up in the hype and even though we're going to have to deal with much warmer temps, on the bright side I don't need to scarf down breakfast at 4AM. Not happy about this but nothing we can do unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:
Wow, I don't think I've ever started a race so late. It's going to be hard not to get caught up in the hype and even though we're going to have to deal with much warmer temps, on the bright side I don't need to scarf down breakfast at 4AM. Not happy about this but nothing we can do unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm at 9:11 (F40-44) which is only marginally better, which is not my favorite. However, based on your username, I'm going to guess that you are well acclimated for heat and humidity. Being from DC, when I see the forecasted dewpoint of 70-72F coupled with temps around 80F, I remind myself that everybody else will be miserable, but I've been training in this nonsense all summer so it's just another day. That worked out in my favor in Omaha 2016 when everybody wilted 2 miles into the run and I just plugged along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am M35-39 and we went off at 8:53 last year in the oly, and the young guys went off at 7 and shortly after. The humidity, wind, and temps picked up as storms were moving in and made the run miserable. I get that you're competing against your age group and they all start at the same time, but as someone who wants to finish top 10 OA, I hate that two years in a row I'm going to be passing hundreds on the bike and dealing with hotter conditions than those M25-29 and M30-34...I'm 9:05 this year.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Age Group Nationals - Milwaukee [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

MKE is one of the best venues/races courses I've seen...and I've raced or watched races on 4 continents and 10-12 countries.

Wish I hadn't tore my calf and ended my racing career. USATAGNC is one of the most competitive races in the US year after year after year after year.

Probably the only race in the last 6-8 years where I showed up and wondered if I'd make the top 10 in my AG. At 70.3's it was always will I be top 3 or top 5. Top 3 at AGNC never crossed my mind.

So competitive, so deep, so fast & so much fun + a wave start so it's head to head racing not rolling
That's quite an endorsement of the event and competition.
Sorry about your leg.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next