Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike Radar Article
Bike Radar wrote:
Fit is always important on any bike, but especially so on the ViAS. Were you to demo a standard bike, the shop could easily swap stem lengths and adjust the height with spacers to get you dialed in. Here, the handlebar height is set only by cutting the steerer tube and affixing the compression-bolt stem.
Wow, really poor choice.

Has anyone seen any pictures of the bar/stem separate? The stem clamp bolts are going directly through the bars. Seems like an interesting design.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Yeah, we know they are talking about a "system" but still not buying it.

40k in 1 hour = 24.85mph
40k in 55 min = 27.11mph

Flag still on the field.

ETA - just read the VeloNews article on this. The claims are in comparison to riding a Tarmac, a Prevail helmet and a jersey / bib shorts and Conti GP 4000.

I wouldn't exactly call those items "similar" (except the Contis).

We know it's a big claim and along with that a lot of bullshit meters will be going off. Frankly, if that weren't the case we'd be surprised. We're here to be transparent. If something doesn't sound like its adding up, hopefully we can explain.

The 5 min claim is for the larger cycling audience that doesn't fully grasp the impact of aero. The vast majority of riders are still buying into the idea of a lightweight setup, whether that's the bike, wheels, helmet, etc...By comparing against basically last year's TdF winning setup, we wanted to drive home the point that going full in on the aero *system* can net a substantial amount of time saved in the vast majority of riding conditions. The point wasn't to conceal the aero breakdown among the pieces of the system. In fact, where possible, we've given that breakdown - which you'll see in various media write ups as well as on our site.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

How about ... hydraulic-to-hydraulic (a simple piston) for the incompatible fluid?

Would a simple piston do the trick to connect two hydraulic lines between master and slave cylinder? That slave piston would need to include a bleeder for the "master" hydraulic fluid line coming in. Then wouldn't it need a fluid reservoir for the second fluid? The piston will need a spring to return it to position when at rest, what effect will that extra spring have on the operation of the system?

I'm thinking along the lines of a cylinder with a round "plate" (sealed on the edge) separating the 2 fluids. Pressure and movement are transferred through the "plate". Just need to be able to bleed the 2 fluid systems.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you need different types of seals for mineral oil vs. DOT fluid? At least that's the argument I've always seen against just swapping fluids.

Your idea would still work, you just need two plates solidly connected with two different seals.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
Don't you need different types of seals for mineral oil vs. DOT fluid? At least that's the argument I've always seen against just swapping fluids.

Your idea would still work, you just need two plates solidly connected with two different seals.

Possibly...like I said earlier, I'm just brainstorming "out loud"...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://velonews.competitor.com/...ve-minutes-over-40km

I will say, that irrespective of the truth of the stat's - that bike looks amazing - I don't think i'd ever ride it, just stick it on the wall
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
40k in 1 hour = 24.85mph
40k in 55 min = 27.11mph
Flag still on the field.
ETA - just read the VeloNews article on this. The claims are in comparison to riding a Tarmac, a Prevail helmet and a jersey / bib shorts and Conti GP 4000.

If the advantage were 5 seconds, I think many consumers would be sold. The magnitude adds up if the frameset is indeed as slippery as a UCI legal TT bike.
Would you believe aerobars would make 5:00 of difference vs. riding a 40km Merckx style?

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://lavamagazine.com/...g-gear-2/?cbg_tz=240

Well, Specialized stacks up that five-minute savings (actually, five minutes 32 seconds) over a 40-kilometer ride, with the new Venge ViAS as a big chunk of that time savings. The rest? With tunnel data to back (as tested at 50 kilometers per hour), they break that savings down among a collection of new products as:
• S-Works Venge with the new Roval CLX 64 Wheelset: 120 seconds (2 minutes) (compared to Tarmac SL-4 with alloy wheels)
• S-Works Turbo 24mm Tire: 35 seconds in rolling resistance (compared to Continental GP4000 II 23mm tires)
• S-Works Evade Skinsuit: 96 seconds (compared to a standard bib short and short-sleeved jersey)
• S-Works 6 road shoe: 35 seconds (compared to S-Works 5 road shoe)
• S-Works Evade: 46 seconds (compared to S-Works Prevail & Giro Synthe helmets)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 23, 15 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
durk onion wrote:

Possibly...like I said earlier, I'm just brainstorming "out loud"...

It would not be a crazy solution. It could be used to to address different brake levers using different fluids and also address if the brake levers are based on using a different amount of fluid exchange (equivalent to different cable pull ratios).

One issue will still be that there will be some fluid that leaks across the seals, so the fluids will mix (probably more from the fluid from the brake lever side to the brake caliper side since it will probably be higher pressure momentarily compared the fluid on the brake caliper side). This is because dynamic seals either leak or burn up. I would assume they would not want the seals to burn up, since this will be latent failure (the brakes will still work until the seals on the caliper piston are destroyed by the fluid and you have no indication until then).

Second would be additional friction. I do not know if this will be an issue, but leakier seals will have less.

Bleeding could be done on the brake lever side with a bleed valve at the brake lever that appears standard. Then this adapter could have an integrated bleed valve to bleed the run to the caliper, since this adapter is probably going to be higher than the caliper.

Then you have the other concerns like needing to have two different types of fluids around. Also more packaging concerns. And more complicated bleeding.

It is probably the best solution short of having Sram change their fluid. But it is still not great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Power13 wrote:

40k in 1 hour = 24.85mph
40k in 55 min = 27.11mph

Flag still on the field.

We know it's a big claim and along with that a lot of bullshit meters will be going off. Frankly, if that weren't the case we'd be surprised. We're here to be transparent. If something doesn't sound like its adding up, hopefully we can explain.

The 5 min claim is for the larger cycling audience that doesn't fully grasp the impact of aero. The vast majority of riders are still buying into the idea of a lightweight setup, whether that's the bike, wheels, helmet, etc...By comparing against basically last year's TdF winning setup, we wanted to drive home the point that going full in on the aero *system* can net a substantial amount of time saved in the vast majority of riding conditions. The point wasn't to conceal the aero breakdown among the pieces of the system. In fact, where possible, we've given that breakdown - which you'll see in various media write ups as well as on our site.

"50s/km faster than our closest competitor"

probably the s5.

Show meh teh data!
Last edited by: Nick B: Jun 23, 15 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:

They forgot to add the shaved legs image and time savings....

I really don't trust anything that specialized reports out of their wind tunnels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it stack up against the previous Venge in terms of aero?

I couldn't find comparisons of the previous Venge vs Tarmac.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else find this fascinating........tons of numbers and compares, but no one here can decipher the basic question......how much better is it apples to apples to both its predecessor and comparable bikes? The reason is simple, if they wanted you to know that, they would tell you. Instead, its seconds instead of watts, its with clothing etc, instead of apples to apples, ..........so, if transparency is the goal here, then please be transparent! You know that internally they have these compares, so that the goal in development is clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slimfast wrote:
How does it stack up against the previous Venge in terms of aero?

Yeah. Let alone vs any other competitor. But they claim 50s over the closest competitor?

And the Tarmac they compare against probably was tested with standard round drop bars and a standard front brake (in addition to the alloy wheels). Swap each of those for aero versions (Zipp SL70 Aero and Omega X for example) and now the new bike now has a 40 second advantage? Over a tarmac which has tested slower than the R3/5.

Great job on the marketing though, Specialized!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a test that we did comparing Tarmac, Venge ViAS, and a selection of the fastest current aero frames. Same build (DA9000) and wheels (CLX60s rather than CLX64s for clearance on some competitor frames) except where integrated components are required. Sorry about the quality of the chart image. Its original purpose was to illustrate the relative differences among classes. Y-axis is CdA and each division is 0.002 m^2:

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slimfast wrote:

I can't find it either, but this video states the old Venge is 50 seconds faster than a steel tubed bike over 40k:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE_GKePa3CQ

So the new frame/bar module is 70 seconds faster over 40k?
That would be really nice!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ollie3856 wrote:
I had a chance to spend some time with the Spesh folks yesterday and the bike is impressive, but I'm almost as excited about the new Roval wheels (which are claimed to be faster than a 404/disc setup). The brakes 'look' more complicated than they are to work on, lots of nice little touches like the integrated garmin mount and the junction box mount/cover under the BB (you can still access the button to adjust derailleur, or just keep it up front if you like).

I like the bike and the integration of clothes is pretty cool. The price tag puts it out of my range so let's hope for a less expensive Pro model next year.

I do have to call BS on the wheels. While I am sure they are nice, I bet they don't include watts to spin on the rear versus a disc.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, for interested parties, here's how we wrote it up. i think there are some missed opportunities. but specialized is on the right track. and it's REALLY on the right track as to how its executing these launches.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
This is a test that we did comparing Tarmac, Venge ViAS, and a selection of the fastest current aero frames. Same build (DA9000) and wheels (CLX60s rather than CLX64s for clearance on some competitor frames) except where integrated components are required. Sorry about the quality of the chart image. Its original purpose was to illustrate the relative differences among classes. Y-axis is CdA and each division is 0.002 m^2:

Thanks for the graph. Now let me guess:
1. I am going to guess that the SL5 Tarmac was roughly 12-15 watts of additional drag over the Venge.
2. The bottom competitor is the S5 and one of the other bikes is a Propel. The AR might be in there, but I would think it would sit more or less on top of the S5.
3. The new Venge is roughly 8-9 watts better than the S5, which is pretty excellent.

I also like that the drag curve is flatter for the new Venge, which I assume you attribute to the new design of the lower half of the down tube.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO it looks sweet and of course looks definitely a lot more aero than the bikes out there. I wonder what their new TT bikes would look like and how it will perform.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
chrisyu wrote:

Thanks for the graph. Now let me guess:
1. I am going to guess that the SL5 Tarmac was roughly 12-15 watts of additional drag over the Venge.
2. The bottom competitor is the S5 and one of the other bikes is a Propel. The AR might be in there, but I would think it would sit more or less on top of the S5.
3. The new Venge is roughly 8-9 watts better than the S5, which is pretty excellent.

I also like that the drag curve is flatter for the new Venge, which I assume you attribute to the new design of the lower half of the down tube.

Felts testing showed the S5 faster (barely) from -5 to 5 but then overtook it pretty solidly from there. None of those graphs detailed above represent that behavior.

What were the bike fit coordinates? Specialized could have easily manipulated the fit coordinates to be within a range that required all of the other bikes tested to use non aero spacers to stack the stem. They could have also used stems with a fair amount of rise.

They also tested with DA 9000. Bikes like the S5 and AR are known to test better with electronic drive trains (any bike would). But a clear advantage to specialized testing methodology considering they're able to route the cables completely internal. How do those numbers change if all bikes are using 9070?

So to Chris's point above, for those less aero inclined customers, they could more easily pick up those watts by picking up the new Venge and not having to think much else about anything. Those of us who are a bit more aero inclined would never run 20mm of stack and a 6 degree stem on the front end of our bikes.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were the competitors bikes that include aero bars in the package like Cervelo and Giant tested that way, or did they have standard round bars?

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm pretty sure I saw the cervelo data during a presentation.
Last edited by: Tony5: Jun 23, 15 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the frames were, I was asking if they used Cervelo and Giant's integrated/aero road bars or round one. That could be a HUGE part of the equation.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next