Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait til early next week for more info......
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [thumper88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thumper88 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Why does that sketch look like the roubauix and not the Venge?

Patent sketch.....type of bike is immaterial. It is about the brake design. Could have pictured it on a hybrid if they wanted.

Thank you, makes perfect sense now.

But rest assured those brakes are going to pop up on the Roubaix, Tarmac etc too. You don't spend the development costs for something like that for just one modest-selling model.
I expect the Tarmac and Roubaix to continue in the direction of disc brakes, not mid-mounted aero rim brakes.
-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's looking better and better in all the pics I see. One little detail I think it's hard to see in most these shots, is that it looks like there is the obvious wheel cutout in the downtube, but there is also a smaller little relief for the brake as well. Must only be a few mm's, but wonder why they did this as opposed to just shortening the brake arm or fairing slightly.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
I think SuperDave had the right idea that the stack of the hoods/drops is probably going to be determined by the handlebar instead of spacers underneath the stem. Essentially the road version of 'pedestal'ing'. I'm surprised by this because it adds more SKU's and increases the amount of part the dealers are going to have to stock to get fits right. Maybe they will integrate this into their 'S-Build' system to try and reduce the amount of variability at the shop level. I can understand why it would be more aero....but this is a pretty big compromise.

I pray that the handlebar is not the only way to adjust stack. If you want to adjust your stack that means buying totally new bars, swapping the shift and brake levers over, then wrapping the new bars. A formerly 5 minute job now turned into an hour and lots of money.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like they are using TT style aerobar spacers. On Sagan's bike you can see what looks like two spacers under the bars whereas Cav is running no spacers.

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
pyrahna wrote:
I think SuperDave had the right idea that the stack of the hoods/drops is probably going to be determined by the handlebar instead of spacers underneath the stem. Essentially the road version of 'pedestal'ing'. I'm surprised by this because it adds more SKU's and increases the amount of part the dealers are going to have to stock to get fits right. Maybe they will integrate this into their 'S-Build' system to try and reduce the amount of variability at the shop level. I can understand why it would be more aero....but this is a pretty big compromise.

I pray that the handlebar is not the only way to adjust stack. If you want to adjust your stack that means buying totally new bars, swapping the shift and brake levers over, then wrapping the new bars. A formerly 5 minute job now turned into an hour and lots of money.

Not the only way, but probably the most aerodynamic way.
OTOH, if you know your stack, it remains a 5 minute job.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Ahillock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

More pictures here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-specialized-s-works-venge-vias-for-tour-de-france-revealed-2015-6

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch the home page ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, any thoughts on how much the bar may or may not have been raised?

All sounds plausible, but the details about how it was tested and compared to what will shed a lot more light than the marketing statements.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bar can be raised via spacers and the bar to a limited extent.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was referring to the 'Aero' bar. As in how much faster this is, or isn't, this bike is over the current generation of the aero road bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

More pictures here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-specialized-s-works-venge-vias-for-tour-de-france-revealed-2015-6

That's atrocious. Obviously a function over form design. But I'd never ride it considering bikes like the new Madone and AR exist. (Madone almost exists)

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The carbon Venge is actually one of five new products Specialized is unveiling this week as a "complete aerodynamic ecosystem." Along with the Venge, there's a new skinsuit, helmet, shoes, and wheel-and-tire system. All together, the project is dubbed "5 Minutes," which is how much time you'll save over 40 kilometers, or about 25 miles, if you're riding this bike and wearing the gear, the company says. That is, compared to its previous similar bike and gear.

Where'd I put my Bullschitt flag?

Oh, here it is.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first reaction to the 5 minute time savings was the same, but after a minute or two it occurred to that you can spin this pretty easily.

Start with 5 minutes is 300 seconds and each watt saved is 3-4 seconds. So you only need 75-100 watts. So compare the new Venge with the cotton open tubulars to an Sl3 with Kyseriums and Armadillos (40-50 watts at 20 degree yaw) Specialized hasn't made a skin suit that I know of, so compare a jersey and shorts to a high-end skin suit (30 watts)(I think I have seen a prototype on one of the CalGiant guys and it looks fast. Similar in design to the Body Paint 3). Compare the Prevail to either of the new aero helmets (30+ watts on the right rider because I saved 20 by switching TT helmets).

So ya, if you have never paid ANY attention to aerodynamics and Crr, 100 watts is easy to achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except the claim, according to the article, is against "previous similar bike and equipment."

my BS flag remains on the field. Wink

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

my BS flag remains on the field. Wink

Also we need more details on that 5:00. E.g. whether each bit was tested independently at a 40km/h baseline, and they just added them all together. Which would be BS. (Vs. calculating that after the first thing tested you'd now be going 40.2 km/h, so the next bit would have a bit less *time* benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just tore this apart in the shop, the 5 minute time savings is based on not just the bike but also the new skin suit, shoes, tires and wheels which are also coming available.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, we know they are talking about a "system" but still not buying it.

40k in 1 hour = 24.85mph
40k in 55 min = 27.11mph

Flag still on the field.

ETA - just read the VeloNews article on this. The claims are in comparison to riding a Tarmac, a Prevail helmet and a jersey / bib shorts and Conti GP 4000.

I wouldn't exactly call those items "similar" (except the Contis).

Last edited by: Power13: Jun 23, 15 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone having a hard time finding a suit that fits them as well as they would like..

this is interesting:

"To remedy this, the S-Works Evade GC Skinsuit comes in eleven sizes in order to provide a next-to-custom level of fit."
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

50s over the next competitor... hmmm
Last edited by: Nick B: Jun 23, 15 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I normally do a 53/54 minute 40k, if I use this Specialized gear I will be faster than Cancellara. Wow! Specialized is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a chance to spend some time with the Spesh folks yesterday and the bike is impressive, but I'm almost as excited about the new Roval wheels (which are claimed to be faster than a 404/disc setup). The brakes 'look' more complicated than they are to work on, lots of nice little touches like the integrated garmin mount and the junction box mount/cover under the BB (you can still access the button to adjust derailleur, or just keep it up front if you like).
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
How about ... hydraulic-to-hydraulic (a simple piston) for the incompatible fluid?

Would a simple piston do the trick to connect two hydraulic lines between master and slave cylinder? That slave piston would need to include a bleeder for the "master" hydraulic fluid line coming in. Then wouldn't it need a fluid reservoir for the second fluid? The piston will need a spring to return it to position when at rest, what effect will that extra spring have on the operation of the system?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
So if I normally do a 53/54 minute 40k

That's pretty good on a road bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next