Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the module will be available in project black as well (I believe that should be reflected on our website now).

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Yes, the module will be available in project black as well (I believe that should be reflected on our website now).

Thanks, that's great news. Can't see it on the UK website at all as yet, only the promo stuff.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

I don't think that is what he was asking about. The Pro frame comes in a Satin Black/Carbon/Clean which is the Stealth look. Satin Project Black has the S-Works lettering in white. So will the module be available in Satin Black/Carbon/Clean for a full stealth look?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah sorry, the module - at least initially - won't be available at the pro level so the only way to get the clean colorway is with the pro level bike.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any plan to make aerobars for the venge? As since it tests as fast as the shiv tt, it would make a great do it all bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're looking into that possibility, yes. Out of curiosity, would you want a pure aerobar setup with a basebar, or would an integrated clip-on solution for the ViAS Aerofly bar be ok?

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would prefer a pure aerobar setup over a clip-on solution. As it's likely to be faster.

Additionally with a Di2 B junction box velcroed in the stem along with brake cable disconnects, changing out bar setups would be as simple as taking off the bar disconnecting everything in the stem and putting everything back together with the aerobar setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clip ons
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me Clip-ons would be preferable as you maintain flexibility for differing rides and uses. I suspect it would take a lab with precision equipment to measure any difference in speed.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Seems to me Clip-ons would be preferable as you maintain flexibility for differing rides and uses. I suspect it would take a lab with precision equipment to measure any difference in speed.

Yeah.... Likely not the case. The bare frames between the tt and venge vias are similar. Bars have a huge impact on drag however.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
NealH wrote:

Yeah.... Likely not the case. The bare frames between the tt and venge vias are similar. Bars have a huge impact on drag however.

Point taken. I was thinking his comment on "do it all" meant that the bike would be also be used in fast group rides. Often they don't want to see aero bars in groups for the obvious reasons. But it the comment pertained to Tri or TT only, then I agree the full integrated aero bar set-up will be faster - though to what extent I don't know. I would certainly rather have clip-ons although we all have our preferences.
Last edited by: NealH: Aug 4, 15 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X3 ... Clip ons (one bike for stage races)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the bike being as aero as a Shiv, I see more application with clip ons to stage races and the occasional TT, with primary road use in crits and road races.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With how easy you could make it to change between setups with brake disconnects and a di2 junction box in the stem. I don't see why clipons would be advantageous at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"di2 junction box in the stem"

here's the junction box on the Venge ViAS:

http://images.cyclingtips.com.au/content/uploads/2015/06/2N4A37701.jpg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm saying you could Velcro or glue a b junction box into the stem.

And it would allow you to connect and disconnect cables for the shifters easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:
"di2 junction box in the stem"

here's the junction box on the Venge ViAS:

http://images.cyclingtips.com.au/content/uploads/2015/06/2N4A37701.jpg

There are 2 junction boxes. One up by the stem (junction A) and another one by the bottom bracket (junction B). The one by the stem has the port for the charger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can have as many a junctions as you want within reason in a system.

I currently have 2 b junctions (the ones without charging ports) and 1 a junction in my s5.

For the venge you put the a junction (one with charging port) bellow the BB as shown above.

Even with extra b junctions the a junction can still remain in the same place.
Last edited by: Cajer: Aug 4, 15 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems rather inconvenient for charging. So basically you need to remove the covering anytime you want to check the charge or recharge?

I suppose you could get away with 1, 5 port junction box if it fits in there (2 for shifters, 2 for derailleurs, 1 Battery).

So would the optimal wiring be, 2 x 1200mm wires for shifters, 1 x 300 for FD, 1x500 RD, 1x600 for battery + 1x 5 port Junction A?
Last edited by: mcmetal: Aug 5, 15 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our default setup is with the junction A inside the BB cover as shown in the above photo. In that setup, the B junction sits inside the stem with a single wire going into the frame and down to the A junction. The BB cover has access holes so that you can see the LED status lights as well as access the adjustment button without removing it. The cover does need to come off to access the charge port though (a relatively rare occurrence for most of us).

An optional setup (mostly for teams or riders that need the ability to adjust on the fly in case of crashes) is to mount the junction A under the computer on the integrated mounting rail and there is a small hole in the stem faceplate that the wires would then go into for access to the internal routing system. The B junction would be inside the BB like with a traditional Di2 build. Campy EPS would also have to be run this way since their wiring loom is built into the junction box.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea what the ETA on the vias aero bars is? Or if it is even going to be made?

As I will be without a TT bike for a while and would like one bike to do everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no ETA on the clip-ons. I know there's a push for first half next year, but nothing confirmed yet.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you guys have decided on clip-ons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clip-ons are the priority since we want to support our ITU triathletes. Taking feedback on desire for full aerobar as well.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU. Designing an aero drop bar and not compatible aero bars is a huge oversight IMO that almost every single company makes. Now that being said, please make them so that the arm rests are as tight to the top of the bar as humanly possible. Depending on how your team goes about it, it would be great to be able to not have to use armrest and just use the top of the bars if one likes. I look forward to seeing what Specialized come up with.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 25, 15 6:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next