Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skinsuit. Aero helmet. Aero shoes. Tires. Bike fitting. Just some things off of the top of my head at the moment...

Edit: And I know those will not be practical to test, I just think that people sometimes forget about cost when testing the absolute top of the line bikes. In reality, I think setting the budget a little lower than top of the line would be more useful to more people.
Last edited by: durk onion: Jun 25, 15 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
Skinsuit. Aero helmet. Aero shoes. Bike fitting. Just some things off of the top of my head at the moment...

Edit: And I know those will not be practical to test, I just think that people sometimes forget about cost when testing the absolute top of the line bikes. In reality, I think setting the budget a little lower than top of the line would be more useful to more people.

Huh? All of those are included with the Venge? I must've missed that...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
Skinsuit. Aero helmet. Aero shoes. Tires. Bike fitting. Just some things off of the top of my head at the moment...

If someone is spending $12.5k on a bike, you don't think they are going to spend an extra $1k on all the bits you are suggesting. It is no different than someone spending $10.5k on a different brand. Compare the bikes in their top specs. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The idea is actually kind of a good one. Tell every manufacturer they can setup a bike + dummy for $x000 with the fastest overall setup in the wind tunnel. We would learn a lot about clothes, helmets, etc. maybe even give them a few shots(so if they know certain helmets and certain clothes are sometimes fast and sometimes mid pack, they could try their best three).

By limiting the dollar amount you could see where dollar priorities went. Presumably, we would see "low end" frame sets, with mid range wheels, and lots of attention to detail when it came to helmets, tires, and clothes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote for Tom to attend as our neutral third party as I believe almost everyone on here would agree he is a great rep for ST. Maybe if Jack could make the trip as well and maybe post about it on his website as well. I know those two would keep everyone honest!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [TWAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lolwut
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
must take new madone too ofcourse ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Interesting description of the design. Would you care to comment on how Specialized prioritized pure aerodynamics against cross-wind stability? It seems to me that if the aerodynamic properties of the leading and trailing edges of the front wheel had similar drag you wouldn't have neutral handling in a cross wind, but it would probably be difficult to achieve across a range of yaw angles.

We designed for both drag and stability. They're not mutually exclusive and targeting one doesn't necessarily mean trading off the other. For example, promoting flow attachment on both halves of the rim will result in greater stability in gust conditions. It also happens to minimize drag across a wider range of yaw angles.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
...oh wait, maybe add a power meter?

Just to clarify, the S-Works Venge ViAS bike does come spec'd with a Quarq (Specialized model) power meter as standard.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really, really like the bike (and the Felt AR for that matter).

Here is my problem.
My local Spec dealer here in Oz is an absolute asshat. And those within a few hours drive arent much better.
Im hoping it isnt a prerequisite that in order to sell Spec bikes you need to act like this, but it does sure seem like it.
The Felt is pretty much impossible to get. Felt Oz either sold out fast, or received next to no stock.

Giant screwed the pooch with the early brake problems on the Propel so I forgot about that

Leaves me with an S5.
Luckily not a bad problem to have....
Last edited by: Andrew69: Jun 26, 15 0:50
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
I'll bite and propose a test.....I would like to see the following bikes in the tunnel spec'ed as the highest end build the manufacturer specs them as.
  • Specialized Venge ViAS
  • Cervelo S5
  • Felt AR
  • Giant Propel Advanced SL
  • Canyon Aeroad
Control bike to be be...? Tarmac?

http://www.nicksquillari.com.au
@Tinea_Pedis
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I vote for Tom to attend as our neutral third party as I believe almost everyone on here would agree he is a great rep for ST. Maybe if Jack could make the trip as well and maybe post about it on his website as well. I know those two would keep everyone honest!

+1, send forth the crr wizard.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if Specialized is measuring their turbo cotton tire crr, be sure and thrown in some Conti Super Sonics on the the other test bikes as a fair comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reference to your past tests. Do the Felt AR and the new S5 (i.e. the one with a truncated down tube for a bottle) fit in the same 'band' as you define it when you put two round water bottles on the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I want so see is a completely equal test between all the bikes tested.

For this I would specify exact saddle height, bar height and reach for all the bikes, the exact specs for components including the wheels, except for bar which should be the one which is supplied if it is an integrated unit and then give that to the manufacturers so they can send a completely prepared bike. This would mean they have taken the time to make sure the cables are all the exact right length and taken the care to ensure all is optimized on that bike per the design.

I think that the same wheels and a bike carefully prepped would start to equalize some of these claims.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the rec, but Dan and I have universally agreed that JT Lyons and/or Tom A. are the guys who should be the "arbiters" in such a shootout if ST were to be involved.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tinea Pedis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tinea Pedis wrote:
pyrahna wrote:
I'll bite and propose a test.....I would like to see the following bikes in the tunnel spec'ed as the highest end build the manufacturer specs them as.
  • Specialized Venge ViAS
  • Cervelo S5
  • Felt AR
  • Giant Propel Advanced SL
  • Canyon Aeroad

Control bike to be be...? Tarmac?

Steel Allez...or, I'll volunteer my '86 Bianchi Sport SX :-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 26, 15 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They aren't included with the Venge and that's the point. I could buy all those other things and overall be faster on a slower bike for the same amount of money.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then your budget isn't really $12.5k is it? It's $13.5k, and that's an okay budget to set. Just be conscious of the price. If my budget was $12.5k, I could go faster with the S5 and additional things than just the Venge ViAS, even if the bike itself is faster. You have to look at the whole system which is the point that even Specialized is pushing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
They aren't included with the Venge and that's the point. I could buy all those other things and overall be faster on a slower bike for the same amount of money.

As I attempted to hint at, and Chris directly pointed out...you're forgetting that a big part of the ~$2K difference between the top line S5 and the Venge VIAS is the inclusion of a top line power meter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I get that. I just think more can be done to even out the cost. I just mentioned the cost of the Venge specifically because this is the Venge thread. The Felt AR FRD is $13k with no powermeter. You can replace the Venge in any of my previous comments with that one if you'd like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
No, I get that. I just think more can be done to even out the cost. I just mentioned the cost of the Venge specifically because this is the Venge thread. The Felt AR FRD is $13k with no powermeter. You can replace the Venge in any of my previous comments with that one if you'd like.

Sure, but all those other things you mention are separate from the bike. If we're comparing bikes, then limit it to bike features/changes. You can do those other things no matter what bike is under the rider...and as was pointed out previously, at that high end of the market, those other things are typically not a budget constraint.

Now then, if you want to do a comparison like "fastest overall road setup under $4k", or something...then, that's all to be considered since "bang for the buck" is a much bigger performance driver.

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
\I'm not sure this would benefit the manufacturers who have more to lose if they test their bikes and they are slow. It seems to me that if they keep a bit of mystery and gray area to bike tests, there is more room to maneuver in marketing the bikes. So I think this is all a pipedream by everyone here and we'll never get a true fair test. At least not with the manufacturers involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't buy a skinsuit if I blew my budget on a bike.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't see any difference between a bike or a skinsuit or an aero helmet. They're all tools to help me go faster. To me the most important question is if I had $5k or $13k or $20k to spend on a complete system, what's the fastest system I could buy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the Evade tested against any other aero road helmets ie Giro Synth. Any data on that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next