Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
tessartype wrote:
Can we please see some more of the Sub6 shoes?

Every site on the web is going gaga over the ViAS and only has a token picture of the shoes. From the little I've seen, these could very well be my next pair. This talk of a wider toe-box - will it be similar to the Audax? The S-Works 5 were a touch too narrow, the Audax too loose in the heel - these sound like the perfect marriage sealed with laces (which I'm a fan of).

Yes, the shoe is getting a bit lost in the fray of the bike. Hopefully there'll be a bit more info as we get them out to reviewers. There's also so info on our 5 minute site.

Sounds like it might be just right for you. The toe box volume was increased just a touch (not as much as the Audax though) and the heel fit is substantially more tight. To the point where I can pedal the new SW6 w/out the BOA dials attached at all.

Will the Sub 6 come in wide sizes as well? E.g. 44wide? Random aside: you guys might consider adding a two-hole drilling behind where you guys current drill for three-hole cleats. I've done four TTs this year, total sample size of ~200, and I've seen twelve people who've drilled their own shoes for mid-foot cleat mounting.... and lot's of people were asking those people why they were running SPD cleats/pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how long do we have to wait to see the 'new shiv TT'?
and when we do can we please have a new name this venge/venge, shiv/shiv (and speedconcept/speedconcept, p3/p3 etc) is not great when you are trying to find details!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shoes have more flexibility for the cleat placement. They have the ability to move further back than other shoes. Not mid foot but a couple 3-5 mm more as an estimate.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Ahillock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does this bike climb compared to the current Tarmac sworks? I know the last Venge was awesome on pancake rides but didn't do as well on the hills.
Last edited by: 125mph: Jun 24, 15 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The data from MCLarens on this showed the Tarmac climb slightly better but this was negated before you hit the mid point downhill. Chris might be able give more precise details as I don't have that data but it was pretty close.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the tube sizes different between the different sizes? With the Tarmac, this was the main thing talked about when it was released.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [sun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a Tarmac but I know the tubes are different. They really moved away from uniform sizes on this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmba wrote:
Quote:
A few of questions for Chris:

(1) is this bike tied to di2? It looks like the seat tube is too narrow at the location of the water bottle bosses for EPS v2; is there anywhere else that an EPS battery could be put?
so, what you're really asking is: has Specialized left Astana mechanics hanging?

Ha! I didn't think of them, I was purely being selfish!

I expect that Specialized would look after their Pro-Tour sponsored teams (but, going off topic, maybe they won't be Pro-Tour next year).

Thanks for the other comments re- BOAs and skinsuits

EPS V3 PU and downtube placement.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Chris-
Did you guys do any testing comparing the +25 Riser bar vs. the flat bar and equivalent stem spacers? Up to now I think it has been assumed that the bar would be faster....but I don't think I have seen data stating as much. How much faster?

Yes, we did several combinations of the 25 rise bar vs. 25mm of stem spacers and the flat bar. In every case, the rise bar ended up on average 0.0015 m^2 lower drag than the spacer+flat bar config (in the neighborhood of 1-2W at race speeds). Keep in mind this comparison was with our aero shaped spacers, so the same exercise with round spacers would net a larger difference.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
One question and one comment for you:
1. Will we see a non S-Works version sometime down the road? I don't think my household CFO would approve the current module.
2. In relation to spec-ing test bikes. I do like how Felt did the AR comparison, which was to do a high end spec on each bike (Zipp bar, 404FC, Di2). This seems fair because all the bikes were about as fast as they could reasonably be built. The Old Venge tested well in part because the Di2 removed the cables. The other advantage is that you can just blame SD if someone complains ;-)

1. No word yet on timing for non SW versions. I know they are going full steam churning out enough SW bikes and modules right now.

2. Noted. And I like being able to blame Dave, haha.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I'm thinking it shouldn't be just an aero-only comparison. We need to include Crr and mass in some sort of performance model, along with some measure of dry/wet braking performance for the configurations chosen :-)

Hmm, an interesting idea....

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sizing concerns with these new CLX 64 wheels and last year's Venge? I have a 2015 Venge Expert Ultegra that is begging for a wheel upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I may have missed it but when will the wheels be available?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Having someone from the company willing to answer questions is good. If other posters start insulting people who pose reasonable questions, this negates the value of probing for actual data.
In fact, asking for data of the separate components of a particular bike will be highly enlightening as to how much each component contributes to aero-ness (granting it's not a direct addition thing).
So if we have information on the S5 with a round handlebar vs the S5 with its new handlebar, a Venge with a round handlebar vs its aero handlebar etc, then we would have a better idea of how much improved another bike, say an AR or a Foil, would be with an S5 or Venge handlebar, or an aftermarket aero handlebar with similar testing available.

ETA: Chris, do you have any data you're willing to share with regards to how much more aero/how many watts saved the Venge is with the present cockpit vs a non-integrated one? I see from the media blurb that you have actually done the tests. http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/.../23/2/vias19_670.jpg
Last edited by: aahydraa: Jun 24, 15 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
EPS V3 PU and downtube placement

Sorry, I don't understand this. I'm guessing there is an EPS V3 coming that will be able to go in the downtube (how would it get in there?) but don't know what 'PU' is.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Will the Sub 6 come in wide sizes as well? E.g. 44wide? Random aside: you guys might consider adding a two-hole drilling behind where you guys current drill for three-hole cleats. I've done four TTs this year, total sample size of ~200, and I've seen twelve people who've drilled their own shoes for mid-foot cleat mounting.... and lot's of people were asking those people why they were running SPD cleats/pedals.

Wide will be available for both Sworks 6 & Sub6 in black only.

You could also add Speedplay extender base plates to the further offset mounting holes and perhaps not have to re drill

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris-
There are 3 bikes on this graph that are not labeled. Are you at liberty, I understand if you are not, to disclose which bikes those three are and in what order they appear?

Last edited by: pyrahna: Jun 25, 15 5:06
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PU = Power Unit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Asked that on the last page.

No response.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping that common sense will prevail and they will make more details public. I can understand the need to protect a large business from getting sued for libel, but both Cervelo and Felt, among others, have proved you can show data with labels and not get into a boat load of trouble.
Last edited by: pyrahna: Jun 25, 15 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. There has to be an industry wide standard comparison. If not, things get very confusing. But I guess that would have a bad impact on marketability of a product. I assume most bikes are way closer to each other in "aeroness" than commercials want us to believe.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
Any sizing concerns with these new CLX 64 wheels and last year's Venge? I have a 2015 Venge Expert Ultegra that is begging for a wheel upgrade.

The CLX64s fit last year's Venge but it's a tight fit. I've been running them on my original Venge for a while now.

Edit: Available starting Sept.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Last edited by: chrisyu: Jun 25, 15 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

The CLX64s fit last year's Venge but it's a tight fit. I've been running them on my original Venge for a while now.

Edit: Available starting Sept.

Do you have a cross section of the new wheels to share, or is this something that will come out once the wheels are available?

I read on the ST homepage article that the wheel narrows back down at the spoke bed, which I found quite interesting compared to everyone else going wide, wider, and blunt.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Chris-
There are 3 bikes on this graph that are not labeled. Are you at liberty, I understand if you are not, to disclose which bikes those three are and in what order they appear?

I think I mentioned earlier that pretty much every legitimate aero bike that we tested fell within a narrow CdA band. Within that band, there were clusters of bikes that effectively tested the same (within 0.0005 - 0.001 m^2). Each one of those lines represents the fastest bike out of each major cluster, or if everything in the cluster was within error we chose a representative one to plot. In addition to the original Venge, those lines represent the S5, Propel, and Pinarello F8.

Again, that chart was meant to illustrate the band of performance that exists today.

And again, we know it's virtually impossible to please everyone with a single test / WT chart. That being said, we potentially have an open test block in the tunnel next week. If we can get everything together in time, what would the ST group like to see?

Chris

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally:

1. New Venge Vias vs the best setup of other aero bikes in stock form as folks(friends/team mates) I know buying high end aero bikes (S5, Propel, BMC TM, Pinarello, etc.) Don't change anything after buying those high-end bikes, they're all electronic too.
2. Data with bottles and a person on the bike.
3. If possible maybe have a 'win tunnel' video posted about it too.

That's it :)

Great feedback and input Chris. Thanks.
Last edited by: flyrunride: Jun 25, 15 9:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next