Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

Chrisyu...thanks again for your willingness to engage openly and the transparency. You've fielded some tough question graciously.

I thought of another question overnight:
I frequently fly to races with a bike. Currently, I leave the stem on my Venge but remove the bars. I run Di2, so it's just a matter of dealing with the brake cable--and there's usually a bit of slack for that.

With the ViAS, would you think travel with the bike has become more complex? It seems like the position of the brakes may make things a bit easier in that they are more protected--and the handlebar/drops can get closer to the head tube. However, I wonder if one removes the bars or the bar+stem, will there

I didn't notice in any of the photos where the Di2 control box (EW90) is located and whether that is accessible. I'm wondering if that is hidden in the stem (hiding micro-adjust mode and battery status). Di2 wires are obviously flexible and can easily be connected/disconnected for travel, esp with some careful placement of a junction box....but will one have to wind up re-routing the brake cables for travel?

I'm sure it would be obvious when I build the bike, but there's too much hidden from the

Sounds like you have stepped things up w/r/t internal routing and cable guides from prior road bikes in the line-up (as a mechanic...i'm grateful for fewer fishing expeditions), and i strongly suspect that knowing the tendency going in for bends in cables/tight routing can have on braking performance the solution you designed takes into account the greater number of constraints with bar/stem/frame and STILL offers excellent modulation/return.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a box built under the BB that houses the junction box, you can see the LED light from the drive side and can still access the button to trim (albeit not while you are riding). The 'B' box I believe is inside the stem. I was told you could reverse this setup, the Garmin mount had a built in Di2 mount on the bottom and the wires would feed straight into the opening in the center of the faceplate (so you would barely see them). Was told that traveling was going to be tougher and that you should most likely plan on running new brake cables at your destination if you are going to remove the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we please see some more of the Sub6 shoes?

Here you go:

http://www.bikeradar.com/...oes-announced-44570/

I agree - everyone is going ga-ga over the bike. For me it's the shoes, the bars and maybe even the skin suit that I find most intriguing and interesting. These are the contact points with your body and ultimately are most connected to comfort and if you are riding for a long time comfort = a better overall experience.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 24, 15 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Power13 wrote:
At the end of the day, however, the new Venge gains its advantages because it in an integrated system, while many competitors are not. Where they have a comparable spec and it is standard, it has been included.

The idea that they need to minimize the primary advantage of their concept by over-compensating for their competitors shortfalls is kinda silly, IMO.

Thats not necessarily true.

Specialized tests their new Venge in its top of the line trim. An apples to apples comparison would have been to include every other bike in its top of the line trim. Which would have been Di2 across the board and aero bars on at least the Madone and AR (per their top of the line spec). Hasn't Chris detailed that the S5 was tested with its bar - but not with 9070, as spec'd? So they bought the frameset and bar but then threw 9000 on it?

I hear the reasoning for using 9000 across the board and it sounds quite weak to me. It'd obviously be costly to buy every competitors top spec'd bike. But I also feel its disingenuous to build a huge marketing campaign around a clearly hampered testing protocol - no matter the reasoning.

Given, we're the only crowd that cares about the minutiae. But because of that, one should expect holes to be poked in ever last part of the claims. Since they're quite bold.

ETA: What I'd love to see is the exact build of each bike detailed within the test. And then let us make our own judgement.

Let's be realistic....no matter how much data / detail is provided, there is no way to create a truly even comparison. There are simply too many variables to account for.

Moreover, even if they had provided every piece of minute detail, many here would pick it apart anyway just so they could prove they are "smarter" than the bike guys. It is on display here all the time.

I know for a fact that is why some companies don't participate in this forum.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

I think you are being overly-pedantic here. Chris already explained why they chose the specs they did, and it seems like they did a good job representing the market and equalizing variables.

At the end of the day, however, the new Venge gains its advantages because it in an integrated system, while many competitors are not. Where they have a comparable spec and it is standard, it has been included.

The idea that they need to minimize the primary advantage of their concept by over-compensating for their competitors shortfalls is kinda silly, IMO.

Just because he explained it doesn't mean it was a good decision. In lieu of an integrated system, they threw some bars on there that absolutely handicapped the bikes. Like someone said, if we knew which bikes were tested, and in which trims, it would clear up a lot of this ambiguity.

I know that for the average consumer, comparing bikes as specced by the manufacturer makes sense, but here? We expect as apples to apples of a comparison as you can reasonably get .Grab one of the Aerofly bars they probably have lying around and use that, I don't think that is an unreasonable ask.

Cervelo says bars represent 30% of the aero drag of the bike , Tour Magazine showed significant savings going to an aero road bar, and you don't think that choosing round bars potentially impacted the test (not the overall ranking perhaps, but the delta between some bikes)?

http://www.bikerumor.com/...ated-rca/#more-84774

1% – seatpost
2% – rear brake
3% – front break
5% – rear wheel
9% – drivetrain
9% – bottle
9% – fork
16% – frame
16% – front wheel
30% – handlebar
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a totally reasonable request, and it's pretty rude of you to call someone an asshat for asking a reasonable question.

If someone was concerned about aero, there is no reason for them to end up with a round bar over an aero road bar. For the price of the Venge ViAS, you can buy a Foil + aero bar + aero wheels + skinsuit + much more.

Like BeeSeeBee pointed out, the bars have a huge effect on CdA. I think it's more valid to compare either frames with the most aero components available or set a dollar amount and try to make the most aero bike from there. Testing with round bars is a little misleading and there is no way that the average consumer would know how these frames are tested without spending time on these forums.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Firstly I think the bike looks amazing - it really does.

Given it is so close to the Shiv - could a custom aero seat post steepening the seat tube angle to 76-78 degrees and the use of an integrated cockpit turn it in to an equally fast TT bike?

Technically, is there a way of using splitters - either in looms or on cables that would allow one to be able to accomplish the interchangeability of TT to aero road? I appreciate that your goal will be to make the Shiv more aero but this bike if it can be used with both applications and switched in a relatively straightforwards way becomes a single bike arsenal

Technically anything is possible ;-). But at this moment, we don't have an aerobar solution that would interface with the internal routing of the frame (really the headset). If such a solution existed though, it wouldn't be that hard to do the swap since everything is basically fully housed. It would just be a matter of poking the inner wire through the internal ports (in the headset) and pushing until it pops out at the brake (or derailleurs for mech shifting).

We will be offering several different seat post setback options though: +20, 0, -20 (spec'd), and -35.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Chris-
It appears as though the front brakes have a 'quick release'/adjuster built into them. Do the rear brakes have the same type of feature? Are there any pictures of the brake mechanism or details on performance that you can share other than 'comparable to dura-ace calipers'?

I realize that you are the 'Aero Guy' but I figured I would bring this up.

Thanks for being so transparent.

Yea, the front brake has an adjuster cam built into them. The rear brake is adjusted via a barrel adjuster that is inline on the short section of housing between the seattube exit and the NDS brake arm.

At the end of the day, there are a lot of things that go into brake feel/performance, some of which is less quantifiable (lever weight, firmness vs. sponginess, initial bite, max power, modulation, etc...). So the best thing would be to either test ride it or wait for some of the long term reviews in the media to start trickling out. We're obviously biased, so not sure how much weight this carries, but with all our field testers we've had extremely positive feedback and generally people are surprised than an integrated brake (which has gotten a bad rap through some poorer executions before) can function so well.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
So you didn't even include an AR in your testing?

Hmmmm.

Not sure where you got that from? We definitely tested an AR. It's a great bike.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More of a general question for anyone, but is there any reason to be worried about the brake placement from a safety perspective (i.e., could something possible get caught up by the front wheel and snap the brake cable and/or cause the brakes to actuate unintentionally)? It looks like there's a brake cable guide or something back there that would alleviate my concerns if that's the case, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Can we please see some more of the Sub6 shoes?

Every site on the web is going gaga over the ViAS and only has a token picture of the shoes. From the little I've seen, these could very well be my next pair. This talk of a wider toe-box - will it be similar to the Audax? The S-Works 5 were a touch too narrow, the Audax too loose in the heel - these sound like the perfect marriage sealed with laces (which I'm a fan of).

Yes, the shoe is getting a bit lost in the fray of the bike. Hopefully there'll be a bit more info as we get them out to reviewers. There's also so info on our 5 minute site.

Sounds like it might be just right for you. The toe box volume was increased just a touch (not as much as the Audax though) and the heel fit is substantially more tight. To the point where I can pedal the new SW6 w/out the BOA dials attached at all.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
when can I buy a frame?

Initial availability for bikes is in Aug. I believe modules will be shortly after that.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

Hmmmm.

Not sure where you got that from? We definitely tested an AR. It's a great bike.

Was this tested with a round or aero road bar? I don't care so much about the Madone or Foil as semi-aero road bikes, but by all accounts, this was a (if not the) class leading aero road bike prior to this Venge introduction.
Last edited by: BeeSeeBee: Jun 24, 15 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:

Chrisyu...thanks again for your willingness to engage openly and the transparency. You've fielded some tough question graciously.

I thought of another question overnight:
I frequently fly to races with a bike. Currently, I leave the stem on my Venge but remove the bars. I run Di2, so it's just a matter of dealing with the brake cable--and there's usually a bit of slack for that.

With the ViAS, would you think travel with the bike has become more complex? It seems like the position of the brakes may make things a bit easier in that they are more protected--and the handlebar/drops can get closer to the head tube. However, I wonder if one removes the bars or the bar+stem, will there

I didn't notice in any of the photos where the Di2 control box (EW90) is located and whether that is accessible. I'm wondering if that is hidden in the stem (hiding micro-adjust mode and battery status). Di2 wires are obviously flexible and can easily be connected/disconnected for travel, esp with some careful placement of a junction box....but will one have to wind up re-routing the brake cables for travel?

I'm sure it would be obvious when I build the bike, but there's too much hidden from the

Sounds like you have stepped things up w/r/t internal routing and cable guides from prior road bikes in the line-up (as a mechanic...i'm grateful for fewer fishing expeditions), and i strongly suspect that knowing the tendency going in for bends in cables/tight routing can have on braking performance the solution you designed takes into account the greater number of constraints with bar/stem/frame and STILL offers excellent modulation/return.

Thanks!

Good question. I've flown with one recently and it's not too much additional hassle than with a traditional bike. Rather than taking off the bar from the stem, keep the stem and bar together and remove the stem from the steerer. Loosen the brake cable anchors. Pack the stem+bar against the frame by pulling some of the brake inner cables out to create slack. Single Di2 wire running from cockpit to the BB should have enough slack to allow this as well. When you get there, push the brake inner wires back out (fully housed in the frame all the way to the brakes) and reattach the stem. Only additional thing I would do is to bring spare brake inner cables in case they get kinked during travel.

The Di2 control box's default location is under the BB inside a special cover we've made (LEDs and button accessible still). Another option is under the computer mount rail on the front of the stem (this is where an EPS module would go also). Wire loom would then go directly into the stem via a small hole in the faceplate and everything would be internal from there.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

There's a ton of combinations possible if we open it up to how any one of you would build a bike from scratch. Which actually would be an interesting test to do....hmmm...

Now, there's an idea... ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, I hear you on the comparisons. Trust me, it's not easy to please everyone.

So what would you like to see specifically compared? If we don't use "as spec'd by manufacturer" as a baseline, the number of possible combinations is pretty big. How about a crowd sourced comparison test? Moderated by someone from ST?

Just throwing out ideas...

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

Hmmmm.

Well. The chart posted in this thread and elsewhere details the Venge, new Venge, Tarmac and three other bikes. Or do those three other drag curves represent all other bikes tested in some way?

If an AR was included, what bar was used? Can we not see those details for the bikes tested/included within that graph?

I think something myself and maybe others are forgetting is that all bikes were tested with two round bottles (or I believe that was mentioned). I guess its entirely possible that Specialized has done an excellent job of creating aero frame shapes that shield round bottles better than competitors.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris-
Did you guys do any testing comparing the +25 Riser bar vs. the flat bar and equivalent stem spacers? Up to now I think it has been assumed that the bar would be faster....but I don't think I have seen data stating as much. How much faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I think something myself and maybe others are forgetting is that all bikes were tested with two round bottles (or I believe that was mentioned). I guess its entirely possible that Specialized has done an excellent job of creating aero frame shapes that shield round bottles better than competitors.

I think it's great that they did that. I've never liked the no bottle or one bottle tests, so, the inclusion of them in both the testing and design of the bike is a great way to go about it rather than pretend that it's not something that people do, like Cervelo did with glossing over the fact that most people ride with the computer in front of their bars these days (though they say it's faster on top of the stem, Specialized says slower, I'd still take slower and easier to read).

I also love the idea of crowd sourced testing protocol. It may not please everyone, but there are some seriously knowledgeable people on this forum that could quash particular problems before they came about. Maybe assign a community moderator who would have final say so as to avoid having to go back and forth without any decisions being made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Guys, I hear you on the comparisons. Trust me, it's not easy to please everyone.

So what would you like to see specifically compared? If we don't use "as spec'd by manufacturer" as a baseline, the number of possible combinations is pretty big. How about a crowd sourced comparison test? Moderated by someone from ST?

One question and one comment for you:
1. Will we see a non S-Works version sometime down the road? I don't think my household CFO would approve the current module.
2. In relation to spec-ing test bikes. I do like how Felt did the AR comparison, which was to do a high end spec on each bike (Zipp bar, 404FC, Di2). This seems fair because all the bikes were about as fast as they could reasonably be built. The Old Venge tested well in part because the Di2 removed the cables. The other advantage is that you can just blame SD if someone complains ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeeSeeBee wrote:
I also love the idea of crowd sourced testing protocol. It may not please everyone, but there are some seriously knowledgeable people on this forum that could quash particular problems before they came about. Maybe assign a community moderator who would have final say so as to avoid having to go back and forth without any decisions being made.

While a great idea. All I really want is transparency. If Specialized is going to make such bold claims and release unmarked graphs and only provide ad hoc details about testing protocol - then expect to get roasted here.

I don't really care if they spin their testing to show their bike in a more favorable light. I fully expect them to. But at least give us all the details of how the bikes were tested and let those more educated consumers come to their own conclusions.

Right now, a seemingly incredibly well engineered bike is being overshadowed by their marketing departments shitty graphs and over the top proclamations.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fairest approach is to set some budget and pay MSRP for any parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

You've already detailed that you didn't test bikes "as spec'd by manufacturer".

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:

I'm thinking it shouldn't be just an aero-only comparison. We need to include Crr and mass in some sort of performance model, along with some measure of dry/wet braking performance for the configurations chosen :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
chrisyu wrote:

You've already detailed that you didn't test bikes "as spec'd by manufacturer".

+1. It would be so much easier if Specialized/Chris/Mark/Peter/Chris would just publish a white paper detailing the testing setup and protocols like Felt did for the AR.
Quote Reply

Prev Next