Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Yea, sorry I meant -6 deg. You have a really aggressive position and it does sound like you'd need a 135 to match it. If the fit tool is suggesting that, I believe that length will be available (since the fit tool is drawing from part numbers).

Thanks for confirming. Yes there is a part # attached--the main question was more timing (when rather than if). I just figured not many would need that part just like not many would need the 70 (I think that was the shortest I saw in the fit tool), so those might be in no- or short-supply at launch. That's my worry.

Frankly, I'm amazed that the position I have is achievable on the new model. That is a testament to how well you and your team have thought about the combinations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
BeeSeeBee wrote:

As in non-aero road bars? Why would you handicap other bikes with an unaero bar when the intent is clearly to compare bikes decked out similar aero livery? Using an Aerofly would be a far fairer comparison.

Yes, that was a judgement call. The original intention was to test the bikes as spec'd by the manufacturer with the exception of wheels since some of the bikes are sold with basically alloy box section wheels. For the ones that didn't have integrated cockpits or other parts, we bought framesets rather than full bikes which meant we had to provide the bar, hence our compact bend round bar.

There's a ton of combinations possible if we open it up to how any one of you would build a bike from scratch. Which actually would be an interesting test to do....hmmm...

That's pretty disappointing to hear. Given the importance of the bar on aerodynamics we've seen from other tests, it's the sort of stuff that throws the entirety of your data into question, because if your'e willing to do that...
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BeeSeeBee That's a bit extreme, don't you think? We're being as transparent as possible and I've answered any questions about testing details as honestly as possible.

But to hit your point again: the bar choice doesn't substantially change the chart I posted, nor the overall claim of benefit over current best-in-class since the fastest crop of aero bikes out there today come with some kind of integrated and/or aero bar anyways - which again we tested with when that was the case. In our tests, the round bar ended up being used for the Foil, old Madone, and Tarmac. Pretty much every other latest gen aero road bike has a special bar (including the F8, if I remember correctly).

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly I think the bike looks amazing - it really does.

Given it is so close to the Shiv - could a custom aero seat post steepening the seat tube angle to 76-78 degrees and the use of an integrated cockpit turn it in to an equally fast TT bike?

Technically, is there a way of using splitters - either in looms or on cables that would allow one to be able to accomplish the interchangeability of TT to aero road? I appreciate that your goal will be to make the Shiv more aero but this bike if it can be used with both applications and switched in a relatively straightforwards way becomes a single bike arsenal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what gets me, you have been very transparent (going so far as to post this bar choice), and very responsive to comments and criticisms, which I greatly appreciate. But that's why it baffles me that such an obvious compromise would be chosen in the face of otherwise a great launch. I don't think you'd find anyone here, who, if given the task, "Design an aero road bike," is going to say "Yeah, stick some whatever bars on there, doesn't matter." You mentioned the Foil, Madone, and Tarmac, what about the AR or even the original Venge, which don't have integrated bar/stem solutions?

I get that a lot of this stuff is for geared toward mass consumption on all the news sites, social media, etc. but if you're going to come onto sites like this and weight weenies, we're going to tear into the protocol because it's something we've been griping about for ages. So if the Sesame Street Song "One Of These Things (is Not Like The Others)," applies to the protocol, I think I reasonably become a bit skeptical about the setup of the test. I'm not calling into question that it's faster, but we start guessing at which competitor's bike is which on the chart, and what setup it had and why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Cervelo rested the new S5 vs the old S5 they didn't out the new bikes aerobars on the old bike. Why would Spec go around picking up aftermarket choices for their competitors bikes that didn't include this as a stock option I the first point? This expectation makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris-
It appears as though the front brakes have a 'quick release'/adjuster built into them. Do the rear brakes have the same type of feature? Are there any pictures of the brake mechanism or details on performance that you can share other than 'comparable to dura-ace calipers'?

I realize that you are the 'Aero Guy' but I figured I would bring this up.

Thanks for being so transparent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you didn't even include an AR in your testing?

Hmmmm.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BeeSeeBee wrote:
That's what gets me, you have been very transparent (going so far as to post this bar choice), and very responsive to comments and criticisms, which I greatly appreciate. But that's why it baffles me that such an obvious compromise would be chosen in the face of otherwise a great launch. I don't think you'd find anyone here, who, if given the task, "Design an aero road bike," is going to say "Yeah, stick some whatever bars on there, doesn't matter." You mentioned the Foil, Madone, and Tarmac, what about the AR or even the original Venge, which don't have integrated bar/stem solutions?

I get that a lot of this stuff is for geared toward mass consumption on all the news sites, social media, etc. but if you're going to come onto sites like this and weight weenies, we're going to tear into the protocol because it's something we've been griping about for ages. So if the Sesame Street Song "One Of These Things (is Not Like The Others)," applies to the protocol, I think I reasonably become a bit skeptical about the setup of the test. I'm not calling into question that it's faster, but we start guessing at which competitor's bike is which on the chart, and what setup it had and why.

I think you are being overly-pedantic here. Chris already explained why they chose the specs they did, and it seems like they did a good job representing the market and equalizing variables.

At the end of the day, however, the new Venge gains its advantages because it in an integrated system, while many competitors are not. Where they have a comparable spec and it is standard, it has been included.

The idea that they need to minimize the primary advantage of their concept by over-compensating for their competitors shortfalls is kinda silly, IMO.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen it covered anywhere, might have just missed it - what does ViAS stand for?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Venge integrated aero system.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedantic....or an asshat. Not sure which one yet.

I am amazed that Specialized is on here answering the questions in this manner. One more reason I love this site, and now this company (That and my very good friend is a dealer)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Nice work on the new Sub6 Shoes. I've been riding the Giro Empires now for over a year, and aero-ness aside, the fit you can get with the laces is much better, and as noted, you can make a lighter overall shoe! Funny how old can become new!

They are not for everyone, and are definitely NOT for triathlon - unless you like long transitions! :)

Honestly, at the 140.6 distance I would take the extra minute to be aero and comfy. Time might net to zero vs a less aero Tri shoe and every bit of comfort helps imo.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"However, don't people vary the hood position on the bar somewhat? You've just removed that adjustment possibility."

yes. you're right. and i considered that. one way to solve that is to have, maybe, 3 bosses, you take your pick. but honestly i think if you start with a really great ergo bar, and you make it right, then you should just have 1 boss. people move it all over now because there's no real good ergo option. i look at it kind of like bench versus bucket seats in your car. in the old days we had bench seats. bucket seats meant you couldn't move around, back and forth, on your bench seat. but if you make the bucket seat correctly, comfortably, you won't want to move around.

For those who don't like ergos (me) - and if, say, you want to maintain a continuous adjustment range - the same can be achieved with a boss that moves on a sliding slot, similar to the way cleats mount to shoes.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we please see some more of the Sub6 shoes?

Every site on the web is going gaga over the ViAS and only has a token picture of the shoes. From the little I've seen, these could very well be my next pair. This talk of a wider toe-box - will it be similar to the Audax? The S-Works 5 were a touch too narrow, the Audax too loose in the heel - these sound like the perfect marriage sealed with laces (which I'm a fan of).

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
gtingley wrote:

Right now the Di2 ViAS SW is 7.7kg which is about 900g heavier (with deep carbon wheels)

can you provide more info on this? where did you see that 7.7kg figure? what deep carbon wheels (e.g. depth, clincher/tubular, etc)?

thank you. i suspect an old S-W venge frame/stem/aerofly/DA brakes/post would be lighter than the new frame/integrated brakes/stem/bars/post, but i've not seen any figures.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-s-works-venge-vias-49566/

Quote:
Complete bike weight for a 56cm S-Works Venge ViAS Di2 complete bike is 16.9lb / 7.7 kg.

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
At the end of the day, however, the new Venge gains its advantages because it in an integrated system, while many competitors are not. Where they have a comparable spec and it is standard, it has been included.

The idea that they need to minimize the primary advantage of their concept by over-compensating for their competitors shortfalls is kinda silly, IMO.

Thats not necessarily true.

Specialized tests their new Venge in its top of the line trim. An apples to apples comparison would have been to include every other bike in its top of the line trim. Which would have been Di2 across the board and aero bars on at least the Madone and AR (per their top of the line spec). Hasn't Chris detailed that the S5 was tested with its bar - but not with 9070, as spec'd? So they bought the frameset and bar but then threw 9000 on it?

I hear the reasoning for using 9000 across the board and it sounds quite weak to me. It'd obviously be costly to buy every competitors top spec'd bike. But I also feel its disingenuous to build a huge marketing campaign around a clearly hampered testing protocol - no matter the reasoning.

Given, we're the only crowd that cares about the minutiae. But because of that, one should expect holes to be poked in ever last part of the claims. Since they're quite bold.

ETA: What I'd love to see is the exact build of each bike detailed within the test. And then let us make our own judgement.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Jun 24, 15 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Can we please see some more of the Sub6 shoes?

Every site on the web is going gaga over the ViAS and only has a token picture of the shoes. From the little I've seen, these could very well be my next pair. This talk of a wider toe-box - will it be similar to the Audax? The S-Works 5 were a touch too narrow, the Audax too loose in the heel - these sound like the perfect marriage sealed with laces (which I'm a fan of).

The new Sworks shoes are in fact wider in the toe box than the Sworks 5.
There is also a redesigned heel cup that is very secure.

I would suspect this carries to the Sub6 shoe as well. However, the heel cup does look to be a slightly different design.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sounds like the new S-Works would be improved (for me) too. However, I'm a sucker for laces and the Sub6s look even better than the Empires. The white ones would be perfect with just about any kit and proper roadie socks.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can post some more pics but won't really help unless you want to see construction.

They really looked and felt great and stiff. I was intrigued by the research and heel cup emphasis as it's an area where I have issues. That being said, ill await till I try them on to pass my opinion on them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, pictures are lacking. Construction and fit will have to be tested in person, but fashion comes first ;)

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-s-works-venge-vias-49566/

Quote:
Complete bike weight for a 56cm S-Works Venge ViAS Di2 complete bike is 16.9lb / 7.7 kg.

thanks so much for posting that. i'd not seen it. wonder if that is without pedals; i'd assume so. so that is actually more like 1.1kg over the UCI limit.

specialized's site lists the new wheels at ~1550g (i'm assuming w/o skewers). i figure the setup is ~2250 for wheels, tubes & tires (they quote standard butyl tubes). tubular 404s save 300g. that gets us closer to the UCI limit. my current venge, in race trim, is low 14s, with pedals. probably bigger delta for amateurs not subject to the 6.79kg limit.

(actually....wow...the wheels are deeper than 404s, are tubeless-ready (which tends to increase weight), and are lighter than 404CCs (@1640). hadn't noticed that before!)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the wheels are being overshadowed by the bike. I was really impressed with the specs, construction, and data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when can I buy a frame?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply

Prev Next