Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
@ Chris - I get how and why you are doing the comparisons. I guess the question I have for you is whether the line from the previously linked article (vs. similar previous items) was a misunderstanding in the author's part, or is that how you guys are positioning it? To me, comparing it to the previous TdF winning gear is kinda apples & oranges. 1) we know Nibali rode the Evade helmet for at least some of the Tour. 2) I doubt anyone is gonna wear a skinsuit in the mountains and 3) I'm guessing both Nibali and Contador will be on Tarmacs in the mountains.

But great job in the bike design and launch!

We're positioning it both ways. For the tech and aero conscious rider like most of the ST crowd (and frankly a minority still), I'm here to be as transparent as possible about our testing and claims and how it stacks up against the best in class now. For the vast majority of the cycling world, the notion of a fast bike is still the stiffness-to-weight optimized frame and lightweight everything. The idea with the 5 minute campaign is to drive home the point that compared to even some relatively exotic equipment, there is a TON of time on the table to be had by adopting aero as a system.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
Specialized Bicycle Components
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"However, don't people vary the hood position on the bar somewhat? You've just removed that adjustment possibility."

yes. you're right. and i considered that. one way to solve that is to have, maybe, 3 bosses, you take your pick. but honestly i think if you start with a really great ergo bar, and you make it right, then you should just have 1 boss. people move it all over now because there's no real good ergo option. i look at it kind of like bench versus bucket seats in your car. in the old days we had bench seats. bucket seats meant you couldn't move around, back and forth, on your bench seat. but if you make the bucket seat correctly, comfortably, you won't want to move around.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chrisyu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Sorry about the tire confusion. The tires spec'd on the Venge ViAS are the standard SW Turbo casing (not the cotton). The tires are labeled as 22 on the front (new casing) and 24 rear (existing casing) - *however* on the CLX64 wheels with a significantly wider internal width, the installed sizes are ~24mm front and 26mm rear. This was our target in the design phase of the wheel and tire, but since certification testing happens on a 17C (IIRC?) internal width, we had to label the front a 22.

Thanks. Crr difference between the 22 and 24 versions?

BTW, I figured out where my confusion is coming from...it turns out I read Zinn's take in VN on the bike earlier and he specifically calls the tires "Turbo Cotton" and references the 320tpi. Doh!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
FYI, for interested parties, here's how we wrote it up. i think there are some missed opportunities. but specialized is on the right track. and it's REALLY on the right track as to how its executing these launches.

That I agree with 100%... This launch has been pretty impressive. Very comprehensive, well done videos, a nicely tied in teaser video linking back to the whole 5 minutes theme, etc. extremely well done.

It really is, to the point I've actually passed links to the site and youtube video around the office today hoping our guys can take some cues with new stuff. Kind of funny but the little clock thing spec did looks similar to a new logo we have been using on some promo videos lately! Different industry but similar marketing can work so it was interesting to see that in both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Sure, depending on the starting position and aero bar position. It is also dealing with the biggest component of drag - rider position.

And as I noted, it is more believable now that we know specifically what they are claiming against....I just think it is a bit of apples and oranges.

Yes, the 5 minute figure admittedly has shock and awe value and that was part of the point - but as I mentioned earlier, mainly for getting the attention of those that haven't really put thought into the performance that aero equipment can bring.

But, if you look at the graph that I posted earlier, the Venge ViAS still represents what we believe to be a step change in aero performance over the current best-in-class aero bikes.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Sorry about the tire confusion. The tires spec'd on the Venge ViAS are the standard SW Turbo casing (not the cotton). The tires are labeled as 22 on the front (new casing) and 24 rear (existing casing) - *however* on the CLX64 wheels with a significantly wider internal width, the installed sizes are ~24mm front and 26mm rear. This was our target in the design phase of the wheel and tire, but since certification testing happens on a 17C (IIRC?) internal width, we had to label the front a 22.

Thanks for the clarification, the ST front page image seems to corroborate that as I think the full line was (24mm front on Roval CLX64)? Something like that. Also I do recall maybe in the video you said 24 front 26 rear? So again makes sense.

I still want a black wall tire that rolls like the cotton though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I'll have to verify exact Crr figures, but I believe they should be virtually identical to before (assuming the 22 is mounted to the CLX64) since we essentially targeted the 24 casing shape mounted on a narrower rim when designing the new tire (again, the 22 on the CLX64 measures a physical 24mm). Same tread compound as before.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly appreciate your openness re: the nature of the claims. Again, I get why you guys are doing it and where the claims are directed.

No doubt the 5 minute campaign has a "stickiness" to it....most good marketing campaigns do.

Do you guys have the numbers for the Venge vs the old one (asks the old Venge ownerWink)?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A thought...
A bladder system would contain / separate materials.. the volume of fluid moved is small, therefore the volume change across a bladder would be similarly small.
If materials section became an issue a bladder to bladder interface would allow this scenario..

We have quick release connectors on motorcycle brake lines in endurance racing, similarly in rally car systems.. maybe some tech could be robbed from there...
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and it's REALLY on the right track as to how its executing these launches.

Dan,

Indeed!

Other brands in the business would be wise to study not just the products, which look great and everyone is going ga-ga over, but the WAY Specialized has rolled this out with great content marketing! It's all very well done!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Power13 wrote:

But, if you look at the graph that I posted earlier, the Venge ViAS still represents what we believe to be a step change in aero performance over the current best-in-class aero bikes.

Any chance this new tech will trickle down to a more affordable level of bike? Would love to see this in a new Venge Lunch Race at about the same price as the current version.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, all very impressive: numbers, looks and Specialized participating here.

A few of questions for Chris:
(1) is this bike tied to di2? It looks like the seat tube is too narrow at the location of the water bottle bosses for EPS v2; is there anywhere else that an EPS battery could be put?
(2) will there be a custom version of the skinsuit? (most of us have to race in team kit) Will there be a TT version of the suit? (long sleeves and no pockets).....maybe that will come with the new Shiv TT launch! :-)
(3) Was Bradley Wiggins correct that laces are faster than BOA dials?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Yeah, we know they are talking about a "system" but still not buying it.
40k in 1 hour = 24.85mph
40k in 55 min = 27.11mph
Flag still on the field.
ETA - just read the VeloNews article on this. The claims are in comparison to riding a Tarmac, a Prevail helmet and a jersey / bib shorts and Conti GP 4000.
I wouldn't exactly call those items "similar" (except the Contis).

If the advantage were 5 seconds, I think many consumers would be sold. The magnitude adds up if the frameset is indeed as slippery as a UCI legal TT bike.
Would you believe aerobars would make 5:00 of difference vs. riding a 40km Merckx style?

-Dave

Sure, depending on the starting position and aero bar position. It is also dealing with the biggest component of drag - rider position.

And as I noted, it is more believable now that we know specifically what they are claiming against....I just think it is a bit of apples and oranges.

Well a good road position has ~1000g more drag than a good TT position.
Would you believe than shoes, helmet, clothes, wheels, tires, and an aero frame could also give you 1000g? I believe it. I like it. I love it. I'll use every bit of their truth.
-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisyu wrote:
Tom, I'll have to verify exact Crr figures, but I believe they should be virtually identical to before (assuming the 22 is mounted to the CLX64) since we essentially targeted the 24 casing shape mounted on a narrower rim when designing the new tire (again, the 22 on the CLX64 measures a physical 24mm). Same tread compound as before.

Cool. Thanks. Interestingly, I haven't been able to detect a measurable difference in Crr for the same tire on varying width rims (Velocity Deep V vs. Zipp 101).

BTW, what is the internal bead-to-bead width on the CLX64 wheel? Is it similar to the new Hed Plus rims?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

BTW, what is the internal bead-to-bead width on the CLX64 wheel? Is it similar to the new Hed Plus rims?

I saw 21mm in more than one place, one of those places also called the tire "turbo cotton" so....

But the video also said 21mm internal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris, couldn't locate the information:
  • Is the ViAS Aerofly drop/reach the same as the standard Aerofly (130/80)?
  • Are you going to produce an SRM PowerControl stem mount, or is Sagan's a 1-off?

Thanks, and awesome work on this bike!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(1) is this bike tied to di2? It looks like the seat tube is too narrow at the location of the water bottle bosses for EPS v2; is there anywhere else that an EPS battery could be put?

so, what you're really asking is: has Specialized left Astana mechanics hanging?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 23, 15 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I saw 21mm in more than one place, one of those places also called the tire "turbo cotton" so....

But the video also said 21mm internal.

Thanks...so, basically the same as the Hed Plus rims (I see 20.6mm quoted for those).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 20.7mm as rim width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a pocketless version but I believe it was the only difference. Custom models we never discussed. Regarding the laces there was a discussion on that very fact that the boa can be slower. cant help you on your first question.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

so, what you're really asking is: has Specialized left Astana mechanics hanging?

Ha! I didn't think of them, I was purely being selfish!

I expect that Specialized would look after their Pro-Tour sponsored teams (but, going off topic, maybe they won't be Pro-Tour next year).

Thanks for the other comments re- BOAs and skinsuits
Last edited by: rmba: Jun 23, 15 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I certainly appreciate your openness re: the nature of the claims. Again, I get why you guys are doing it and where the claims are directed.

No doubt the 5 minute campaign has a "stickiness" to it....most good marketing campaigns do.

Do you guys have the numbers for the Venge vs the old one (asks the old Venge ownerWink)?

Yea, the tunnel chart I posted earlier in the thread shows the difference between the original Venge and Venge ViAS. The divisions are 0.002 m^2 CdA so the difference is roughly 0.012-0.016 across the yaw angles. So we're talking roughly 60 sec/40km saved or ~12W at 40km/h (>20W @ 48 km/h!). Again, this was with the same CLX60 wheels on both.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmba wrote:
Wow, all very impressive: numbers, looks and Specialized participating here.

(2) will there be a custom version of the skinsuit? (most of us have to race in team kit) Will there be a TT version of the suit? (long sleeves and no pockets).....maybe that will come with the new Shiv TT launch! :-)
(3) Was Bradley Wiggins correct that laces are faster than BOA dials?

(1) No, the bike is compatible with every groupset on the market today, including all mechanical and also EPS. Everything remains internally routed. Seattube is just wide enough for the EPS v2 battery and the control unit hangs under our integrated computer mount in front of the stem. The wire loom passes directly into a small hole in the stem faceplate and continues internally to the components.

(2) Looking into offering custom solutions, but nothing announced as of yet. There are 2 versions: TT and GC. The TT has no pockets but remains short sleeved - in our testing, we found that in the vast majority of cases, short sleeves are faster (in some cases, significantly so) than long sleeves - especially when the long sleeve suit is off the rack and not custom tailored. The GC suit is fully road race ready with pockets, full front zip and opening.

(3) Yes, we've found that laces can be faster than other fastening methods on the shoe. Equally as important is getting the small details right (down to the type of laces and embossing the shoe upper to recess the laces flush when tied).

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:
Chris, couldn't locate the information:
  • Is the ViAS Aerofly drop/reach the same as the standard Aerofly (130/80)?
  • Are you going to produce an SRM PowerControl stem mount, or is Sagan's a 1-off?

Thanks, and awesome work on this bike!

Yes, the ViAS aerofly (both the flat and 25mm rise versions) have the same drop/reach and bend shape as the current Aerofly.

We haven't yet finalized an integrated SRM mount, but we are working on it. Sagan's is a temporary 1-off solution.

Chris Yu
Applied Technology
@chrisyuinc
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Venge? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like that collection of ass hats need an aero advantage.. They have 30 watts on call...
Quote Reply

Prev Next