Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's part of the beauty of Paulo's posts/replies. It's up to the reader to realize why he/she is wrong.

Of course, it can get annoying when you can't figure it out.

It's now just become F***ing with Capets, which is hilarious.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 28, 11 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well duh.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this place.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One crank horsepower from an engine is one horsepower. This does not equate to the statement of 100% efficiency. Horsepower is a measure of work. Efficiency is a measure of the work output relative to the energy input. I can gaurantee to you that an electric motor is not 100% efficient.

ETA: I think you are referring to the inconsistencies in the exact definition of a 1 horse power. An electric horsepower being 746 watts, and a mechanical horsepower being 745.6 or something like that. Again this has nothing to do with mechanical efficiency, or in the case of the electric motor electrical efficiency.
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 28, 11 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm waiting for someone to add some delicious red herring to this. what do you say about getting some cadence involved? say i ride at 200W, either grinding at 80rpm or spinning at 95rpm, with a HR of 140 for the former and 145 for the latter. I must not be doing as much work in the former, right?
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duh.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
The powertap isn't any better at "measuring" than your watch is.

You don't know what you're talking about. You do sound incredibly authoritative, which makes me think you're either very young or very idiot.

But didn't you read this...

"I can ski uphill in regular skis and boots without poles, my aerobic fitness is trick.."

His fitness is trick, so, he obviously knows what he's talking about.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jaretj [ In reply to ]
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alaric83 wrote:
Devlin wrote:
Let me ask you a question in a different way. When you see a picture of an attractive person (of whatever gender you are attracted to), various physiological responses occur, one of which is an increase in heart rate. Does that increase in HR increase your caloric burn?

John

Hey!

Don't go poking holes in Captain Canada's training plan like that.

Well played. I turn over my king, sir.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not believe any one to date has mentioned thermal efficiencies? We have not gone so far as to distinguish the type of energy input, just the work output relative to input.

I have specifically mentioned electrical and mechanical efficiency, which an electric motor is not 100% efficient, IOW there are mechanical and electrical inefficiencies in an electric motor.

An electric motor definitely produces heat, a sign of less than 100% efficiency, and noise, another sign of less than 100% efficiency. The energy that is converted to heat and noise does not produce work. Unless we capture that energy through another method beyond the function of the motor.

I do not understand why he brought it up either. I also do not understand why we would want to be so inaccurate with our descriptions of the biomechanics of ambulation and the physics involved with work that we would equate walking and running a mile.

Are you unable to have a discussion? If I am wrong I would like to know. I do not want to continue on with incorrect knowledge.

ETA:
Efficiency is the measure of "usefulness" of an operation, process or machine.
Efficiency can be expressed as
́ = Wo/Wi (1)
where
́ = efficiency
Wo = work or power output

Wi = work or power input
Efficiency can be expressed as a percentage or as a per-unit decimal fraction of 1.
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 28, 11 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
I would also like for you to tell me all the various ways our body can create and utilize ATP and whether or not they are equally efficient.

Last time i checked ATP was synthesized via the electron transport chain.... oxidative phosphorylation. to understand energy metabolism you start talking about thermodynamics, electrochemistry and equilibrium. I don't even try and own that shit. Maybe someone else can play phd for you
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [PIGsmasher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not all ways of producing ATP were created equally.

You have avoided the issue of you calling me a dumbass for denying your equivication of the caloric costs of running and walking a mile. Do you still stand by this? Why or why not?
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why gild lilies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you still disagree with me, and are claiming 100% mechanical and electrical efficiency of electric motors? That would suggest that the potential work of the electrical input is equal to the output work. No loss. This does not follow the laws of thermodynamics to say the least.

Thermal efficiency would not apply in this case.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I was thinking about getting one of these to track my calories burned. Would this work? http://bodybugg.com/

bodymedia.com looks better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap-ola. Do you just live to argue on the internet? Did you ever leave the computer to have dinner or something today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said 100% efficient. I stated this was incorect due to mechanical and electrical loses. If there was a distinction to be made prior it was not done. Argue my distinction not a strawman you create.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Body Bugg is what they use on Biggest Loser. It must be right then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
clearly if Paolo has information that is relevant to this thread, he is purposefully being abstruse.

So, IMO, it just some like he is being a dick.

Pretty much.

Paolo probably has as much tri knowledge as anyone else on this forum. But you learn as little from him as anyone else on this forum. He knows that and enjoys whatever his role is here. I know little and teach little, so I have little room to complain about it. But you aren't alone in noticing it, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the fuck is wrong with you people. Seriously can nobody here write a fucking statement with out someone acting like a little prick just caught cutting class. Grow up and start making claims with some writing to back it up. If you have time to read the post that do not complain when someone replies.

This whole fucking thread turned into a pissing question with nobody offering anything of real value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your strawman reply to T-wrecks you just deleted Jaret. It is a strawman you are presenting and arguing (poorly), you should look up the definition.
Quote Reply

Prev Next