Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you did some reading between the start of the thread and now, at least you learned something today.

Of course, anyone going to Duke or UNC would have gotten it at first...

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Zack, would you say that my average heart rate for an hour on my trainer is a better measure of my Calorie consumption than my average wattage for that hour? I have often seen my average heart rate be more than 10 beats higher when the room is warmer than usual or the fan isn't turned up. Am I burning less calories running when my fitness is up and I run the same pace at a lower heart rate?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
its certainly no gold standard but it is not practical to do much better =)
Right you are.
PT=<$1000
Indirect Calorimetry equipment for measuring gas exchange= ~$10,000
Direct Calorimetry equipment ~$1,000,000+

If the PT is accurate to within 10% of either the direct or the indirect cal equipment then it's totally fine (especially considering this feature is pretty trivial compared to the primary features).

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha ok. Props for being a rationally-thinking human being!

This argument was ridiculous. Kudos to Seasonschange and Paulo Sousa for shutting their mouths once someone started throwing facts out there and interpreting them correctly.

If this was this bad, I can't even imagine how long it took to convince slowtwitchers of the relative unimportance of equipment weight (when compared with aerodynamics) in triathlon.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not see an evolution in his opinion just clrification. Was your last post required or appropriate?
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 28, 11 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if ZachC.'s ignorant or narrow-minded, I just think he might be having a hard time communicating his point. I think what he's trying to say is that any of these tools provide an "estimate" (granted, based on a lot of pretty good scientific principles and math and lots of other stuff way over my head) rather than an actual measurement. Kind of like using a body fat scale can give you a pretty good estimate of body fat, but the only 100% accurate measurement is an autopsy. So, I think that goes back to the OP's original question, which might be rephrased "which estimator is more dependable?"

Sorry if I'm not adding anything (and I hope I'm not just making it worse. If so - fair enough, and sorry to intervene), but I don't know why everybody gets so mad at each other about stuff like this. I think we're all more or less on the same page, but with some communication differences and some misunderstanding of some details that probably weren't what the OP was really looking for anyway.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So back to my OP. I was thinking my Suunto was accurate enough to use the calorie prediction as an outcome measure for developing training goals during a season where I typically train in 4 different disciplines.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best sig line ever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was pretty clear he didn't know what he was talking about in the beginning, googled it and used his newly acquired knowledge to revision his position.

If you think that kind of thing is acceptable, you're entitled to that. I don't think it's acceptable for the little troll not to know anything about the subject, google it on the spot and then comeback and be extremely offensive.

So if you want to call out anyone, why don't you go call out the little troll?!

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't change my opinion/argument at all. I simply demonstrated that academia is in agreement with my argument. I give you a B- for reading comprehension skills. Oh wait, English isn't your first language? How long are you going to lean on that crutch Paulo? You seem to write fluently enough, so it's time to start taking ownership of your reading comprehension/verbal reasoning. You misunderstood what I wrote; I didn't misrepresent or misunderstand science--don't confuse the two.

I didn't "get" anything--I simply showed that I know my stuff. I'll gladly go toe to toe or frontal lobe to frontal lobe with any UNC or Duke student.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I didn't change my opinion/argument at all. I simply demonstrated that academia is in agreement with my argument. I give you a B- for reading comprehension skills. Oh wait, English isn't your first language? How long are you going to lean on that crutch Paulo? You seem to write fluently enough, so it's time to start taking ownership of your reading comprehension/verbal reasoning. You misunderstood what I wrote; I didn't misrepresent or misunderstand science--don't confuse the two.

I didn't "get" anything--I simply showed that I know my stuff. I'll gladly go toe to toe or frontal lobe to frontal lobe with any UNC or Duke student.

Gawd you're an insufferable little troll.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, I'm a little late to the party but here's the math if anyone is interested. This is a re-post from the wattage forum, I know a lot of you don't have access to that though.
http://groups.google.com/...ies#2577eb45f24ad2ee

"joules = watts * seconds
calories = 4.184 * joules (physics/engineering calories = energy
required to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree C)
Calories = 1000 * calories (dietary Calories = energy required to
raise 1 liter of water by 1 degree C)
GME = percentage of energy delivered through working muscles or for
cycling, energy (power) delivered to pedals and measured on PM
(typically 22-25%)
1 hour = 3600 seconds
So:
Calories = AP (watts) * hours * 3600 / 1000 * 4.184 * GME
setting GME * 4.184 = 1 (implies GME ~ 23.9%)
Calories = AP * hours * 3.6
And yes, roughly 75% of the power generated or the energy consumed
doesn't reach the pedals. "

This is why kJ roughly equals calories burned while cycling.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I am not sure how to respond. It is not unusual to state a position then provide information to back it up, is it? If I look back at the posts I believe he could have worked on the manner he presented his case, which tended to treat me like an idiot, however your phrasing seemed no better.

I am torn which is the lesser of two evils.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So Zack, would you say that my average heart rate for an hour on my trainer is a better measure of my Calorie consumption than my average wattage for that hour? I have often seen my average heart rate be more than 10 beats higher when the room is warmer than usual or the fan isn't turned up.
I'd still like to believe that on an individual basis, with well-calibrated models mapping HR and rear-wheel power to calorie expenditure, that HR would be a better predictor than rear-wheel power, especially because of the reason you highlighted. Rear wheel power doesn't change with room temperature, while heart rate and heat exchange (therefore by extension net calorie expenditure) do.

Quote:
Am I burning less calories running when my fitness is up and I run the same pace at a lower heart rate?
Hmm...now that's an interesting question. I do not know the answer, but if I had to guess I'd say that yes, an athlete would burn fewer calories at a given pace if he were more conditioned than if he were less conditioned. I don't think the difference would be very large, but to your point, Garmin's HR-based software does prompt the user to self-assess fitness level (in addition to inputting height, weight, age, maxHR, etc.). I'll have to see if I can find a detailed description of the New Leaf software that newer Garmin devices use to see how it takes into account fitness.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I'd still like to believe that on an individual basis, with well-calibrated models mapping HR and rear-wheel power to calorie expenditure, that HR would be a better predictor than rear-wheel power, especially because of the reason you highlighted. Rear wheel power doesn't change with room temperature, while heart rate and heat exchange (therefore by extension net calorie expenditure) do.

Wrong again. Need to google it a bit further.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After all that reading you come up with that recommendation. paulo is right, you really are an idiot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I feel the wrath of the slowtwitch crowd, where I believe Zack was correct was in the semantics argument of "measured" vs. "predicted", I should have been more accurate in the terms I used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The burden of proof is on you to show where I changed my argument from beginning of the thread to the end. I invite you to try and find a single point on which I wavered or was initially wrong, or else I will ignore you. As FTDA and others pointed out, I admittedly didn't do the best job of articulating my argument, but I promise you that it's the same that it always was.

As far as doing research about the methodology, I'm all for that! It's a fascinating subject, and as an athlete I'd like to learn more about it. I think I've provided good reasons for my opinion, but would like to find evidence either for or against my opinion; I'm at a loss for finding peer-reviewed articles that determined that one was better than the other. Perhaps you could point me to one?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you believe the variables that you mentioned in your previous post which affect caloric expenditure do not affect power output as well?

I have been, and continue to be of the opinion that a power based prediction of caloric expenditure will be more accurate than a HR based prediction in the majority of cases.
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 28, 11 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Quote:
its certainly no gold standard but it is not practical to do much better =)
Right you are.
PT=<$1000
Indirect Calorimetry equipment for measuring gas exchange= ~$10,000
Direct Calorimetry equipment ~$1,000,000+

If the PT is accurate to within 10% of either the direct or the indirect cal equipment then it's totally fine (especially considering this feature is pretty trivial compared to the primary features).

I work with several different types of Calorimeters every day and I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "indirect cal equipment"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
I have been, and continue to be of the opinion that a power based prediction of caloric expenditure will be more accurate than a HR based prediction in the majority of cases.

And you are 100% correct.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to the OP, the two independent predictions were very close at moderate intensities, though they diverged significantly at higher intensities (the watch was low at higher intensities). Based on this I was feeling comfortable as using the caloric expenditure prediction of the watch to set daily goals.

I understand this is not a common method I was simply trying to have fun with it.
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 28, 11 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My original argument, with commentary in bold:
Quote:
The powertap isn't any better at "measuring" than your watch is I think we've established this is essentially true.. In fact, neither "measures" your calorie expenditure in the strictest sense of the word--both take one or more input parameters (which is not calorie expenditure again, the only thing that can measure calorie expenditure directly is a calorimeter), do some math (which may or may not be based specifically on you and your body type and energy expenditure rates here, I address the importance of the calibration of the model), then give you a number. I'm not sure what data you had to plug into the powertap, but if the answer is "none" then I'd take the data from the suunto over the PT any day Here I admit uncertainty as to the input parameters or quality of the powertap model, as used by FTDA. Powertap very well may have a great system, but if all of the inputs aren't being taken into account then it's probably not that great.. In fact, if the PT isn't using HR to calculate expenditure, then I'd say the data is about as useful as a poopoo flavored lollipop An admittedly bold statement, but still not totally incorrect. The large range of documented muscle efficiencies makes this method inherently uncertain, and I have yet to find an article detailing how this model can be improved (i.e how to determine which muscle efficiency the PT user has at a given level of power output (it isn't the same across all levels either!!! some people are inherently more efficient than others in certain regions of power output!). A small fraction of the rider's total energy expenditure and time rate of energy expenditure (power) is accounted for by the rear wheel power, with the remaining majority spent simply venting heat through your skin to the air, heating up your internals, etc. True, and undeniable. Thermo doesn't lie. Obviously, using some sort of "typical efficiency" figure would attempt to sort out the fractions, and extrapolate how many calories you burn overall, but I would have serious doubts about the accuracy of this method because of the extent to which the correlation between rear-wheel power output and net power output is related to your own body I think I did a decent job of showing that my doubts about the method were justified. What I'm trying to get at is the HR-based calculation is a lot more direct This may not have been correct, but I have yet to find evidence to the contrary. HR-based calculations aren't bad, provided the model is tailored to the individual, and I would sooner use that as my "accepted value" than the PT number Especially after reading what I've read I would definitely still use HR based calculations over one that only took into account rear wheel power. I just don't understand how a model based on rear wheel power could take into the account the atmospheric conditions in a stationary environment. It doesn't seem obvious to me that the atmospheric conditions don't matter, but I suppose this is a possibility. It just seems that the rate of heat exchange between your body and the environment, as well as the rate of heating of your own body would be dependent on the atmospheric conditions. .

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, HR is terrrrrible for calories.

Imagine this scenario.

Me and '99 Lance are going up a big hill.

His HR is 150, mine is 180. Who's burning more calories? How many calories are we burning?

See the problem here? You don't have the data points need to make any type of estimate of calories burned.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "metabolic cart"

a hood/canopy/mask indirect open-circuit calorimeter

I tweet!

Quote Reply

Prev Next