Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On to a rider not struggling with menopause: We're going to get a full dose of MdVP starting this weekend in Hulst, all the way through CX Worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I had read no MvdP until mid December? I'm glad he's starting sooner.

Now Pidcock says he may not defend the world championship. Too late with the classics and all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a full schedule, which I'm sure is bringing great disappointment to the rest of the field. Seeing what Pidcock did out of the gate, pretty much have to peak in November to have a crack.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to see Puck finally take a WC. Her first podium was a year ago in Overijse. Three 3rd places and six 2nd places later she really deserved that win.
Plus she's a joy to watch! (Mad skills and always having fun!)
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe how any of them could be having fun, being covered in that much mud

Also, quiz time. Without looking things up, what is the most prominent connection between Overijse and road cycling? And name the male winner of the latest edition of this race.

Hint: it was discussed upthread :p
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I can't believe how any of them could be having fun, being covered in that much mud

"You're already dirty, c'mon"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy s***, that one dude who just bosses it down, followed by people slipping and sliding all over...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Happy to see Puck finally take a WC. Her first podium was a year ago in Overijse. Three 3rd places and six 2nd places later she really deserved that win.
Plus she's a joy to watch! (Mad skills and always having fun!)

she's quickly become one of my favorites on the circuit. huge skill, punchy, gutsy riding, and having more fun than anyone. I also hope UCI buys that girl a beer - wheelies across the line in the rainbow jersey? winning a race covered head to tow in mud with a huge smile? she's a one-woman photo bonanza.

staggering to think that she, shirin, and fem are all 20 years old and between them have filled pretty much every podium so far this season.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
staggering to think that she, shirin, and fem are all 20 years old and between them have filled pretty much every podium so far this season.

Interesting that all three usually skip whatever race Friday or Saturday, saving it for the WC Sunday. I wonder if that will become a larger trend?

I noticed, too, that Marianne Vos did the opposite this last weekend -- raced Merksplas and skipped Overijse. I wonder if she's racing into form and wanted to avoid the three youngins?
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Nov 23, 22 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to know the financial implications of race selection too. My understanding is that the races pay pretty decent appearance fees for the better riders to even line up, so racing schedule could be an interesting balance between maximizing income and maximizing results. Seems to me like a full racing schedule (X2O, Superprestige, WC) would be challenging to maintain top-level performance, and so you could see why results-oriented riders might not do that, whereas if your goal is to make as much money as possible, then why not line up at every race where they'll pay you just to start?

Younger riders trying to make a name for themselves and chasing WC points, you can see focusing on WC races and leaving money on the table by skipping the other ones, playing the long game. Others might just be of the mind that they'll take what $ they can get when they can get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

Interesting that all three usually skip whatever race Friday or Saturday, saving it for the WC Sunday. I wonder if that will become a larger trend?

To be fair, there's only been one X20 so far, and Fem van Empel won it, and is the leader. We might see more of her in those.

Quote:
I noticed, too, that Marianne Vos did the opposite this last weekend

She had intended to do the World Cup the next day, but cracked badly at Merksplas, so pulled out of the World Cup as a precaution. I don't think she's the type to seek to avoid anyone.

Last edited by: trail: Nov 23, 22 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've all seen plenty of collarbone injuries [some of us have suffered our own] but this is the most horrible that I've ever seen

< X-ray image at 7:15 >

How the quacks at Atlantic City could say "oh, you won't need surgery" is ridiculous

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fem, Shirin, and Puck must have a decent team salary for them to skip out on the start money from the Saturday races. They do have a significant advantage to all the other ladies racing the day before. I guess they see it as "worth it" to be better for Sunday races.

Voss has had to deal with overtraining or better said "over-racing" in the past so she's careful not to race too much.

I actually feel bad for Carmen, Denise, etc. on Sunday's races after they dug deep the day before. I feel the same way for their male counterparts when Pidcock, Wout, and MvdP show up fresh in November/December while the regular CXers have been racing every weekend since September.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stonerider wrote:

I actually feel bad for Carmen, Denise, etc. on Sunday's races after they dug deep the day before. I feel the same way for their male counterparts when Pidcock, Wout, and MvdP show up fresh in November/December while the regular CXers have been racing every weekend since September.

On the other hand, it makes us realize what a badass Lucinda Brand has been the past few years, cleaning up at World Cup, Superprestige, Bathroom series, and being a major factor at Worlds. Hopefully she finds her mojo this year after her broken hand. I'd like to see Vos and Brand make the kids work for it a bit before turning over the keys to CX stardom for good. And of course young MdVP before that with this Playstation turbo button dominance period.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 25, 22 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I miss the 2019 version of MvdP. I wish he could find that form/fitness again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big dawgs showed up to eat today.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fourth row start will only add a little suspense. MvdP for the win!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Big dawgs showed up to eat today.

Should be a good smackdown tomorrow! If there's been rain, it could be quite different from today's road-like course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What time tomorrow is Hulst? Two hours earlier than usual?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh dang, it is early. Coverage on Flo bikes starts at 1:50A Pacific time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another dominating win for my homegirl Puck today at Hulst ... damn, women's racing is getting so interesting!

didn't actually watch the race- anyone know how it unfolded?

Quote Reply
Post deleted by jstonebarger [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn.

puck's got to be hoping that world's ends up being a gross, muddy, slugfest.

also really wonder how those girls (puck/fem/shirin) will all play the U23 vs Elite decision. at current form they could realistically go 1/2/3 in the elite at world's. but then i think once you leave the U23 age group you can't go back, right? and you have to switch over to elite on all disciplines, which for them would include MTB and road.

Quote Reply

Prev Next