Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
logella wrote:
You may not understand the meaning of panache. Yes he wins but Froome is the anti-panache.

LOL. You may not follow GT racing closely.

To what trail and carl have said, and noting there are many specific examples, I'll just ask you this:

What active rider has show more panache than Froome on Stage 19 of 2018 Giro?

My take on Froome is that he followed conservative Sky directions in the beginning of his career, but after he had success he started riding the way he wanted. I remember it starting with the downhill attack a three or four years ago in the Tour.

M vdP, of course :p

but amongst Grand Tour contenders, Nibali. And that's it, I think. Pretty lofty company, i'd say

amongst former riders, Contador
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus he has the tactical noir to back it up, and is ruthless when blood's in the water. He's not an exciting interview but can't say he doesn't bring it on the bike.

Wonder what the bigger implications will be for Tour. While it hurts to have him out, it should make for a more wide-open GC battle instead of Ineos victory lap.

Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Likely broken femur per Brailsford.

"Open fracture of his femur" damn that's got to hurt.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Plus he has the tactical noir to back it up, and is ruthless when blood's in the water. He's not an exciting interview but can't say he doesn't bring it on the bike.

Wonder what the bigger implications will be for Tour. While it hurts to have him out, it should make for a more wide-open GC battle instead of Ineos victory lap.

Chance for Dumoulin might be pretty good :)

And perhaps Bernal as well. Those two couldn't duke it out in the Giro, but now we get a delayed screening at the tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Nibs gets his legs back under him and gives GC a go too.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
Likely broken femur per Brailsford.

"Open fracture of his femur" damn that's got to hurt.

... and NOT something you get over quickly; on several levels

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

I think what makes it more interesting is that with Froome supposed to be there, there was somewhat of an agreement and understanding that Froome is the protected rider and that Bernal and GT have to line up in the Ineos Train order accordingly. With Froome out, does Bernal automatically concede team leadership and sacrifice himself accordingly just because GT won last year. Or when say Wout Poels (or whoever the last Ineos domestique is going to be this year) pulls off the front then Bernal starts looking around or riding "semi-tempo" to protect his own interests?

I think this might be the first year in a long time that Sky/Ineos is entering the tour without a 100% clear team leader. Even if Brailsford says that GT is the team leader...that's kind of like Movistar saying Quintana is their team leader. It's one thing to say it...it's another thing if your team actually believes it and acts accordingly.
Last edited by: Jason N: Jun 12, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I quote “Zzzzzzzzz”

Which one of you took their Froome Voodoo doll and threw him on the ground this am??
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if Brailsford says that GT is the team leader...that's kind of like Movistar saying Quintana is their team leader. It's one thing to say it...it's another thing if your team actually believes it and acts accordingly.

------

I dont think the 2 teams are on the same page with that kind of thinking. IMO if Brasilsford says something, that team will fall in line. That's just how professional run they are imo (even if they disagree) and prepared for said event. If Brailsford is saying it's X it's because it's the likeliest best chance. I dont think they play favorites, just because.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. GT and Bernal are both on long-term deals while Landa and Quintana are shopping for new ones. For the underdogs--and let's face it, that's everyone other than Froome and GT--it doesn't hurt to have other teams wondering who is the protected rider.

That said, I think Landa gets a bit of an undeserved rap; he chirps but was the consummate teammate for both Froome and Carapaz when duty called.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the love for Bernal, but he only has one Grand Tour under his belt. He is heir apparent, but has yet to show he is ready. In true Sky fashion, he needs to be a super domestique for his leader and ride away from said leader on one stage only to be called back shaking his head. Only then will he get the call.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's rich !

on another note - what's up with Kwia ? really a poor TT
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the Ineos boys seemed pretty shaken following the crash. Not surprised to see some poor TTs from them.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Froome is 34 I think. If what is being reported is true, I suspect that will be the end of his career. He'd be trying for a GT comeback at 36...
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [thickasabrick51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thickasabrick51 wrote:
Froome is 34 I think. If what is being reported is true, I suspect that will be the end of his career. He'd be trying for a GT comeback at 36...

Yep, he shouldn't have tried to get fancy with the Giro-Tour double until after he won his 5th Tour. This year was his last chance for #5 in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
H- wrote:
logella wrote:
You may not understand the meaning of panache. Yes he wins but Froome is the anti-panache.

but amongst Grand Tour contenders, Nibali. And that's it, I think. Pretty lofty company, i'd say

amongst former riders, Contador

The Froome/Sagan breakaway was panache unlike anything I've seen. The pedaling on the top tube after dropping Quintana at the summit was pure panache. I haven't seen the Giro film from last year, but sounds like panache to me.

Contador had panache -- mechanical shifting, for crying out loud, and raced with a broken leg. Nibali, I'm not so sure -- ever since he was busted doing a breakaway by hanging onto his support car, I've had no respect for him. Dan Martin has panache by the boatload, but needs work on his timing. Rigoberto Uran won a stage of the TdF on a singlespeed stuck in the biggest gear after his rear derailleur broke.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
thickasabrick51 wrote:

Yep, he shouldn't have tried to get fancy with the Giro-Tour double until after he won his 5th Tour. This year was his last chance for #5 in my opinion.

He can do another. Valverde won worlds at almost 40 and he has much more wear on his body. TDF is all about staying out of trouble, TT, and fatigue resistance. He will be fine next year. Oh and valverde did that after breaking his leg as well.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
altissimotri wrote:
thickasabrick51 wrote:

He can do another. Valverde won worlds at almost 40 and he has much more wear on his body. TDF is all about staying out of trouble, TT, and fatigue resistance. He will be fine next year. Oh and valverde did that after breaking his leg as well.

Except that by next year, MVDP is going to complete the grand tour sweep. /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
He can do another. Valverde won worlds at almost 40 and he has much more wear on his body.

Valverde is a special case. Most guys aren't like him.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
thickasabrick51 wrote:

I don’t agree with this. He is under contract thru 2020 and he will be fine next year if stays healthy, heals ok. Grand tour all about fighting fatigue, and he is the best at that right now, as well as his awesome team. He will be 35 then, and he will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope he will race again. He has been put in to surgery due to the leg injuries as of current reports here. More forthcoming.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:

I don’t agree with this. He is under contract thru 2020 and he will be fine next year if stays healthy, heals ok. Grand tour all about fighting fatigue, and he is the best at that right now, as well as his awesome team. He will be 35 then, and he will be fine.

It all depends on the nature of the break. The range is months to years.

I do hope he returns so his exit is courtesy of being smacked down by next generation of GC contenders, not because he went into a wall at 35MPH.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 12, 19 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

He can do another. Valverde won worlds at almost 40 and he has much more wear on his body.

Valverde is a special case. Most guys aren't like him.

Valverde is a very special case indeed.

As far as Froome is concerned, what a horrendous injury. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

It all depends on the nature of the break. The range is months to years.

I do hope he returns so his exit is courtesy of being smacked down by next generation of GC contenders, not because he went into a wall at 35MPH.

I actually thought he would take it again this year with it being his sole focus even though I still wanted to see G and Bernal get protected too. We will see the latter half of this played out I believe and that should be pretty ace.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Dumoulin. The guy has loads of panache. At times he is is literally overflowing with panache and has to stop to leave some by the roadside. I'm referring to Stage 16 of the 2017 Giro of course.
Quote Reply

Prev Next