Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
E3
MvP, LaSporty, Mads
Bettiol, De Lie

I'll take a pull for the group. LaPorte is sick.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

e3

mvdp/wout/mads

de gendt (aime) / van poppel
Last edited by: buzz: Mar 22, 24 2:56
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MvDP, Wout, Wellens

Matty Jorgo,
Mads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas De Gendt in the breakaway down in Catalunya. Feels like it's been a while, but great to see him in his natural habitat.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Thomas De Gendt in the breakaway down in Catalunya. Feels like it's been a while, but great to see him in his natural habitat.

Jeez, was it really 2019 when he won stage 1 of Catalunya?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a hard time seeing how MvdP and Wout dial anything
back, and Mads will be right with them.

MvdP, Wout, Mads
Kung, Van Poppel

DvP earned a spot. He is a hell of a lead out, and has a darn fast finish himself. For a guy that has been around, he still looks great. He was 9th at Gent last year, nice podium yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

MvdP, Wout, Mads
Kung, Van Poppel

DvP earned a spot. He is a hell of a lead out, and has a darn fast finish himself. For a guy that has been around, he still looks great. He was 9th at Gent last year, nice podium yesterday.

Van Pop's move back up to the front yesterday after running off the road was pro bargy. Looked like Coakley moving through the night club. (Obscure movie reference)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. Updated:
MvP, Mads, Wout
Bettiol, De Lie
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
WannaB wrote:

MvdP, Wout, Mads
Kung, Van Poppel

Van Pop's move back up to the front yesterday after running off the road was pro bargy. Looked like Coakley moving through the night club. (Obscure movie reference)

Surrounded by Stood-Fish
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with a Van podium (aert/derpoel/baarle) but left off van poppel (is there a 3 van limit?)
too bad we can't add 2 recently retired vans (sep and nathan).

on the de gendt side - his breakaways are so incredible (ben king/de marchi/boassen hagen at the tour (2019?) when he won in front of pinot and alaphil). my question is: has the level become higher such that he isnt the class of every break he starts and/or the level of the chasers for sprint glory are even higher?
When riding in Andorra last summer he had a $hit ton of koms from trying hard to break away from the gun in late stage in the vuelta (2018?) on a short-ish stage. i can't really think of an updated version of TDG in recent years - just classics ballers imitating him in grand tour stages (Asgreen/Bling/Kwia).

my obscure movie reference fu is weak. mea culpa.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
on the de gendt side - his breakaways are so incredible (ben king/de marchi/boassen hagen at the tour (2019?) when he won in front of pinot and alaphil). my question is: has the level become higher such that he isnt the class of every break he starts and/or the level of the chasers for sprint glory are even higher?
When riding in Andorra last summer he had a $hit ton of koms from trying hard to break away from the gun in late stage in the vuelta (2018?) on a short-ish stage. i can't really think of an updated version of TDG in recent years - just classics ballers imitating him in grand tour stages (Asgreen/Bling/Kwia).

I feel like maybe he got such a strong reputation as a breakaway savant that he got deemed too dangerous to let go and started having a tougher and tougher time being allowed into a break to begin with. Could also be that the level has gotten higher, though it's also possible his own level has fallen off (as a legendary aficionado of strong Belgian ales, there is a point where that could compromise your level vs. guys who live like monks, of which there seem to be more and more these days).

Finish in Catalunya will be interesting as it seems headed for a bunch sprint in a peloton with a complete absence of sprinters.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
I went with a Van podium (aert/derpoel/baarle) but left off van poppel (is there a 3 van limit?)
too bad we can't add 2 recently retired vans (sep and nathan).

my obscure movie reference fu is weak. mea culpa.

@Wannabe jumped all over the movie reference. Shut down the move.

In one days last year, Taco seemed to be out there an awful lot.

Charlottesville's own Ben King is the closest recent TDG type I can think of. Got a great Vuelta stage TDG style 3? years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

In one days last year, Taco seemed to be out there an awful lot.

Though he had a short year last year. He hasn't raced since Flanders. At this point I'm starting to get worried about his career - concussion issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vandenberg? I haven't heard that name since the days of Whitesnake & Cinderella

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WvA, MvdP, Mohoric
Jorgensen Bettiol
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E3
MvdP, Mads, Wout
Bettiol, Jorgensen

Won't be able to watch the finale live tomorrow so will save the race til after work (praying I can avoid getting Flo'd), which, on the plus side, means beer.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E3
Van Aert, van der Poel, Bettiol
Pedersen, Mohoric
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i did a van swap just before the start. seems van gestel was taken out of the lineup last minute, so i subbed in van poppel.

but now i aspire to the all van- pick, maybe for gent wevelgem :)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like Bettiol and van Baarle were involved in the early crash. Both appear to be still going. Per Strand Hagenes is on his way to hospital.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power guy weather. Vans should do well. I left off King Kung but he ought to fair well if he stays out of trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stand by your van.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

new van also out dammit

i forgot pollitt had changed teams and didn't think he was starting. might have been a good darkhorse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'stand by your van' - nice one - loyalty is key.
i was going to use - my moon my van (feist) - for when your van (inevitably) disappoints you.
weather just makes me like the Mads pick even more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Stand by your van.

That is golden!

I'm loving this weather so far. It's a shame that Bettiol seems the worse for wear after his crash; he has looked excellent lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
trail wrote:
Stand by your van.

That is golden!

I'm loving this weather so far. It's a shame that Bettiol seems the worse for wear after his crash; he has looked excellent lately.

One of my vans - Baarle - not looking great with a crash then a mechanical at a bad time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next