Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all surprised. In contrast to other IM where the volunteers are there to get first dibs on a next year spot, a lot of the volunteers out there yesterday were members of local community groups or members of local tri and bike clubs out there just to support racers with no intention or desire to sign up. In my tri club alone there were numerous volunteer wrist bands up for grabs and no takers .....

Also, they struggled to get enough volunteers this year and were still asking for volunteers on Friday!

gleeclub wrote:
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but it's 1200 for next years IM. At the registration site waitin to sign up. Amazing, I thought there would 2000 people waiting, but only about 30 people so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gleeclub wrote:
The other changes so far are 630am start with a 15.5 hr cutoff or 10pm - noise ordinance

--

Given the swim assistance that is a fair call......Nice if that would catch on all around..;-)

--
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
And I agree, IF I were to do an IM, the entry price is almost a non-starter, in the decision tree. You have to figger ALL of the other expenses in.

This ^^^ I live 5 blocks from the finish line. Even with the increased entry fee and the ferry passes for spectators etc, IMNYC was waaaaay cheaper for me than IMLP. No flights, no rental car, no hotel/condo for me & the family with a five night minimum. IM costs are way more than just the race entry fee.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [datemple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
datemple wrote:

I do believe in capitalism, but this is just down right greed.

This sentence does not compute.

The race sold out last year in minutes, people. Think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Kiwifly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This ^^^ I live 5 blocks from the finish line. Even with the increased entry fee and the ferry passes for spectators etc, IMNYC was waaaaay cheaper for me than IMLP. No flights, no rental car, no hotel/condo for me & the family with a five night minimum. IM costs are way more than just the race entry fee.

True, but that only works for people in New York. If you can't fill the race with locals and the entry fee is really high, there isn't much incentive for people to travel to the race. I live in Madison, WI and won't even consider doing that race, partly because of the cost. If I'm going to spend that much on an IM, I'm leaving the country.

I'm sure it costs a lot to hold that race and that's where the high entry fee is coming from. It will be interesting to see if this sells out and if so, how long it takes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gleeclub wrote:
The other changes so far are 630am start with a 15.5 hr cutoff or 10pm - noise ordinance

Where is this info? I do not see anything on the website about it.

And I heard the tide can go both ways, so next year the swim might take longer if the tide is going the other direction?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
following that logic, then they should race the prices of each race to make it cheaper for the "locals" to do it, because we have to travel and incur those expenses when we go elsewhere.. everyone else be damned! seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What comes with a Premium Entry slot?
  • Event logo TYR goggles
  • Event logo Timex watch
  • An extra banquet ticket

It's insane to me that they think that is worth the extra $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwifly wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
And I agree, IF I were to do an IM, the entry price is almost a non-starter, in the decision tree. You have to figger ALL of the other expenses in.

Yep, this is the comment I have made to folks about the cost of the IMLT foundation entry. Still cheaper than going to a race we cannot drive to. Luckily there is enough places to stay that most of us
will not be forced into the 4 and 5 day hotel minimums.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American Zofingen 2013 is currently $135.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But do you get the privilege to swim in crappy water?
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does it not compute? Please expound

I believe in capitalism but there is a point when it becomes greed instead of need/making the product better. Next year, it will probably be the cookie cutter route which means less cost to support as most R&D was done in its inaugural year.

------------------------------------------------------------
Never forget those that sacrificed for your freedom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwifly wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

you are right if you look at it dollar to dollar. But there is a Value isuue here. This race does not have the value of $1200, IMO.
And I can argue (from experience) that for this amount of money yoy can go to other full distance races for 5 days and get more for your money. B2B would be one example, but yes, it's not M dot and the finnish line is not on a bike path on the upper west side.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by variousty [ In reply to ]
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [fstbckadct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Making a big leap there from my post! I'm not saying entry fees should/can be higher since it is cheaper for locals to race. Entry fees are a function of how much it costs to stage the race, and in NYC it understandably costs more than say LP due to the complexities involved. All I saying is that MY decision on which race to enter includes consideration of more than just the race enty fee.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Amd although the tri-state market is a big one to pull from, most locals I know that were interested in this race did 2012. I haven't heard of anyone in my tri circles intending to sign up tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supply and demand. Ever heard of it?

Economics education in the last 20 years is pathetic to non-existent.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [variousty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks can say whatever they want, but it is how we spend our money and time that shows the bottom line. And, looks like you support their business model, not matter what you say, since they now have yours, and my money.

Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I'm not saying IMNYC is the best 140.6 out there. All I said was that re the entry fee it's only one of many considerations that go into deciding whih races I enter. I've done IMLP twice and now IMNYC. Each has it's own benefits, although IMLP is the better race experience in my view. But it was considerably more expensive than IMNYC for ME. Others value props will differ.
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canada Ultra?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

True, but that only works for people in New York. If you can't fill the race with locals and the entry fee is really high, there isn't much incentive for people to travel to the race. I live in Madison, WI and won't even consider doing that race, partly because of the cost. If I'm going to spend that much on an IM, I'm leaving the country.

I'm sure it costs a lot to hold that race and that's where the high entry fee is coming from. It will be interesting to see if this sells out and if so, how long it takes.

Anyone guess the state with the most participants in yesterdays IM?

California!
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
The race sold out last year in minutes

I am curious, what was the entry last year (for this year's race) ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwifly wrote:
Agreed. Amd although the tri-state market is a big one to pull from, most locals I know that were interested in this race did 2012. I haven't heard of anyone in my tri circles intending to sign up tonight.

I wonder where that line is between the "it is so close to my house, I have to do it for X reasons" to "though it is so close to my house, I have no desire to do it for X reasons"

I know for me, I live less than 20 miles from the start, but under the current format of a August date to the logistical issues to the boring course (especially a wide open bike course up and down a highway) I would not do this race even if it was free.

Though hardly scientific, I spent 2-3 days in LP just prior to this year's IM training and hanging with many people from "local to extended local" markets to IMNYC, and not one of them mentioned anything about signing up for 2013. The big debate was either LP or Mont Tremblant
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Aug 12, 12 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [variousty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
variousty wrote:
i think the price increase is ridiculous and unfair. i volunteered to work athlete registration thursday, even though i raced this year, just so i could get a guaranteed entry for next year. i expected the price would be similar. i would've rather spent that time resting if i knew they were going to jack up the price by a third. i saw on the volunteer instructions that it was only going to be 1000. they added another 200 at the last minute. having said that, since i put in the volunteer time and woke up early to register, i ended up registering for next year. this bait and switch is unethical.

Please tell us how this makes sense? You just bitched about the big increase, but because you woke up early and actually volunteered; you decided to pay the ridiculous fee? That is tough to understand. I woke up early to volunteer at the swim, had dirty Hudson River water and whatever might have polluted it all over me. I suppose my values of not paying over $1000 to race an M-dot IM are stanger.

Please explain...
Quote Reply
Re: $1,200 for IMNYC 2013 [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
[

I wonder where that line is between the "it is so close to my house, I have to do it for X reasons" to "though it is so close to my house, I have no desire to do it for X reasons"

Man, I wish I had thought more about your phrase "though it is so close to my house, I have no desire to do it for X reasons" before I signed up for IMLT. :o(

Quote Reply

Prev Next