Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [tri_francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I can respect those who think that. I think it is silly, it is an F'ing bike for God sake. People are freaking over a picture of a damn bike! I find it interesting that all this talk about how bad Tom is but no one calls out the poster and his claims about Tom which are WAY more damaging that some stupid dirty bike photo. No one even knew who owned it
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's right, you know. The 5 year old, that is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, then we will have to agree to disagree. The bike was the guy's personal property, whether or not you see a right to privacy about his bike is irrelevant, it belongs to that guy, not to Tom. Tom didn't have a right to post those pics without his permission.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom is a shrewd business man and plays this forum like a fine-tuned violin. He knows exactly when it is good for business to provide over-the-top service (slowtwitcher flies in for fitting) and when to stir things up on here. I have been in his shop many many times (spent a small fortune) and have seen and experienced both the best(frequently) and worst service (occasionally) a bike shop has to offer. I also rode with the Wolverine sports club and contrary to what the original poster stated, felt Bikesport was a decent sponsor. Tom is loving all this attention right now.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My car I don't care, because no one knows it is mine. My house is different, I expect a level of privacy in my home.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [The Cynic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I think the reaction to this is crazy. Where were all you people when Tom posted the post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If there was an expectation of privacy I might agree with you. Had Tom posted a picture of a bike that he held as a good example of great maintenance and care would you have an issue then?

This issue is truly not about a matter of privacy. It is a matter of respect for the person. Going down the "expectation of privacy" argument is dealing with a symptom of the matter, not the cause.

Does not matter if the bicycle was used a good example or a bad example. All that matters was permission was not requested from the customer and now the customer has the right not to be happy. Granted, the customer would probably have a lower chance of being unhappy if the bicycle was used as a "good example", but never-the-less, even that does not make it right if permission is not granted.
Quote Reply
SLOWMAN - please move this thread to TLR [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]My car I don't care, because no one knows it is mine. My house is different, I expect a level of privacy in my home.[/reply]

Maybe he expects a level of privacy in his bike. Also I doubt anyone on a forum will be able to ID your house by a phot of a piss stained toilet, so there is no difference. Actually there is a difference, more people see you in your car then see your toilet.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Waterski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I honestly just think his reaction is over the top and found his accusations to be way more harmful and unethical than what Tom did. It was just a photo of a bike to me.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [DaleLakes.OH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]I bet there are quite a few nervous lurkers on this site, some customers or potential customers of Bikesport, who might think twice about bringing their bike to Tom's store for shipment or maintenance...[/reply]

Nonsense. I live in Ohio and plan on visiting BikeSport and probably buying gear from Tom. His "dirty pictures" have done nothing to dissuade me.

"Oh my garsh! I was ridiculed and treated unfairly on the Internet." Homey, please. Since when are 3rd graders allowed to participate in IMFL anyway?
And you obviously speak for all the lurkers and all of Bikesport's potential customers. Obviously.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he expects a level of privacy in his bike.

Yes, undoubtedly it was very easy to pick *his* bike out of the nearly 2100 in transition. Stuck out like a sore thumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless the person in question packed the bike himself and planned on riding alone in a basement somewhere, he should have expected that SOMEONE would see his bicycle, however dirty or clean it may be. I heard they even had cameras at the race taking pictures and video to be broadcast on TV and the INTERNET!

Expectation of privacy? Comeon.

If you change your shorts in the park, expect your goods to show up on the internet, it's the new millenium...or Newmanium if you prefer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fair enough. I honestly just think his reaction is over the top and found his accusations to be way more harmful and unethical than what Tom did. It was just a photo of a bike to me.

Well, I don't know the facts that Victor stated and whether they have a foundation in truthfulness or not. I assume that it is the responsibility of Victor to make sure that what he states is true or not, and not for ST people to call it out. I personally would have taken the issue out soley with Tom, but since this all started in a public forum, I can see Victor's reasoning.

Yes, it was just a photo of a bike, but for example, some people go out looking for public nude beaches, while others will wear a towel at all times in the locker room. It's all relative to the person affected.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So using this personal privacy theory would mean that all of the other web sites (including Cervelo's) that posted pics of people's bikes are in the wrong? I could probably easily find pics on other sites that poke fun at people's bikes...such as 20 Gels taped to the top tube, 5 water bottles, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Waterski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Victor, your post has prompted a violent reaction by many slowtwitchers. Your bike has been exposed as being dirty. You seemingly have been outed. But you saved a lot of money on your car insurance.

(Geico commercials are the best)

http://thechuckblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things:

1) If a pic of your "goods" was on the net would you be ok with it simply because you changed in a park? Most people wouldn't.

2) This isn't about just the pic. It's about the pic and the context. My examples show this. Why don't you answer those examples.

Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [victorbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody needs a hug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I don't want my goods on the internet (and if I did, I'm sure they would fetch top dollar!) I won't show them in a public setting. If I don't want my bike on the internet, I'll keep it locked in my basement. If I don't want it to be used on said internet as a 'bad' example, should I decide to take it in PUBLIC, then I'll clean and maintain it.

Personal responsibility people. Don't shoot the observer who was doing us all a favor.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [triall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on making the trip to drop about $3500 on a new bike & wheels. My decision to do so was purely based on the feedback of this forum. However, after reading this particular thread (original thread), and the thread referring to the QR Kilo vs Felt value, I have decided to look elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If I don't want my goods on the internet (and if I did, I'm sure they would fetch top dollar!) I won't show them in a public setting. If I don't want my bike on the internet, I'll keep it locked in my basement. If I don't want it to be used on said internet as a 'bad' example, should I decide to take it in PUBLIC, then I'll clean and maintain it.

Personal responsibility people. Don't shoot the observer who was doing us all a favor.
Techanically, by state code, the brick and mortar shop located in Michigan, "Bike Sport Michigan", owned and operated by Tom Demerly, is private property. Private property means not public property. The pictures were taken of the bicycle while it was interned in the care of Tom Demerly on private property. Unless you can figure out how that place and Tom's care became public property for that moment the photo's were taken, it is still considered private property.
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [The Nome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, it's less about privacy and more about respect. There is a difference between your bike being in a photo and a photo being taken of your bike...to point out how poorly you take care of it. Intent is a poweful thing, and Tom's intent was clear.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What this comes down to is trust. The man trusted Demerly and that trust was broken.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<Techanically, by state code, the brick and mortar shop located in Michigan, "Bike Sport Michigan", owned and operated by Tom Demerly, is private property. Private property means not public property. The pictures were taken of the bicycle while it was interned in the care of Tom Demerly on private property. Unless you can figure out how that place and Tom's care became public property for that moment the photo's were taken, it is still considered private property. >>

On which a business open to the PUBLIC is run....
Quote Reply
Re: "reputable" Tom Demerly [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Why clean it when you can get someone else to come over and do it for you???? ;-) '

Because you can drink beer while you do it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next