Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--99 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm updating my goal. My physio cleared me for a few exercises & some balance work. New goal is 20min/day of that. I'm choosing to be conservative because I'm tired of not meeting goals. Any additional walking/stairs will just be a bonus at this point.

At least my back is making progress. While it's still sore, it no longer prevents me from doing regular daily activities. Not having to mentally prepare myself for getting my son in/out of his carseat is a HUGE step forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--98 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to join in - 15 minutes of some type of activity (abs, running, lifting, walking, swimming, biking, PT exercises)/day
Last edited by: asda: Apr 3, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--98 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [asda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to go to the Challenges page under the Training Log to sign up. Then, when you enter your activity into your training log, it will show up in the challenge. Welcome! And tell us a bit about yourself. As you'll see reading posts, this challenge came about because many of us are injured/post injury recovery and needing some motivation to get going.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Apr 3, 14 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--98 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, every time I try to enter anything into the log, it crashes.

4/1: swim/walk
4/2: walk/jog
4/3: walk/weights

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--98 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just made two entries "by hand" and it worked. Are you trying to enter data directly from a device, or typing in the info?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal trainer tonight so 50 minutes of weights and general abuse.

My upper calf is super sore today. Not sure if it is from running yesterday, the myofascial release, the swim, or all of the above. Hopefully tomorrow it will be better. I want to try another run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for organizing! I need the motivation. I'm in!

By way of introduction, I've been doing triathlons for five years as an age grouper.

I've been training for a May marathon since last fall and following a schedule since January. I had a near perfect record of running six times a week when I stopped at 9 weeks to taper a measly one week for my annual Oly. After my Oly on Sunday, I ran 13K on Monday morning and... that night I experienced a pain in my ankle, literally "in" my ankle that made it painful to stand and walk normally. Saw a physio who said it was a stress fracture.

Took the next three weeks off and back at it this week. So two runs in the last MONTH and now I don't know what to do to train or if I should just give up now doing the marathon. Ran three times this week already and on Wednesday I twisted my OTHER ankle by simply stepping the wrong way on a tree root while walking. Seems not too bad, maybe first degree tear. As for the other injured ankle, it seems fine now.

For now, I've switched to doing all easy runs, working my way up this week 5K, 7K, 8K, 10K, long ride, then run 16K, then back to regular schedule, since I peak the following week, before tapering. I plan to stop or pull back if my injury resurfaces. I can't just throw away all those weeks of training. Hoping my residual fitness will allow me to start near where I left off.

It was so hard to start again. Thanks for the challenge. My goal is to keep exercising, at least 45 minutes a day. If I get too injured for running, then to hit the pool or bicycle.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--97 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KC, take it easy with that stress fracture. I'm surprised you were cleared to run after only three weeks. My bout with a stress fracture a couple of years ago had me off all running for eight weeks, and then a very gradual return to run program.

My 30 minute bike yesterday seems to have cranked up my back. I was awake much of the night with pain (which really screws with the next day). I'm pretty frustrated--more than a year after the first back episode, and 3 and half months after the last, I'm still struggling with basic, starter workouts. Venting over.

Walking and stretches/strength work today. Gotta keep the "streak" going!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works from my phone and my Mac at home. Does NOT work from crap work PC.

clm
Nashville, TN
Last edited by: ironclm: Apr 4, 14 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--98 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
problem solved!

Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--97 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I wasn't cleared to run... I saw a physio three weeks ago who told me he thinks it's a stress fracture, and that I would need to confirm with my doctor. Haven't been into see my doctor yet. I haven't felt any pain in that foot for two weeks now, so maybe it's okay?

Thanks for your concern. I know I probably shouldn't be out running but I really hate running and want to finish this marathon so I don't have to train long distances anymore, considering all the work I've put in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw this now. If it's not too late, I'm in. My goal is 30 minutes of something per day. Many days I'll double up with a 45 minute walk with the dog, but I won't count that as my "something" most days.

I should have added that I'm out of town for a funeral until tomorrow night. I'm not even going to think about this until Monday, so I'll start then.
Last edited by: DawnT: Apr 5, 14 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this, I'm in! I just logged in my workouts starting 4/1 to make sure it worked. My time is going to look out of kilter with my activities because I'm so limited and have to do everything so slow and easy with lots of rest - I saw the swim pace calculated and it looks horrible, but I never tried to calculate how much time I'm actually swimming and how much I'm resting - does it matter?

My goals: something every day! Swim at least 1000 yds 2-3 times a week, weight training at least 2 times per week, long walks (with a little running thrown in) 1-4 times per week depending on how I'm feeling, and hopefully some short bike rides soon - it's too soon to commit, though. I may include PT time if it's active - some days are more physical than others, but today I spent a total of 20 min on the treadmill in 2 sessions with a break between and actually worked up a sweat - yay for feeling as if I really did something.

I'm scheduled for oral surgery on June 16, so I'll have to do some planned doubles ahead of time - I'm not sure how long that is going to knock me out, but at least I'll be in better shape going into it.

Thanks again,
Diane
Last edited by: mdiane630: Apr 4, 14 19:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IN!

BooYeah!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--97 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to join! I've done something every day, so far. Yesterday was a scheduled rest day for my marathon next month, but I did some thrusters for strength.

My goals are to get in at least 30 minutes of cardio, and get my 30 thrusters per day in for the month of April. After that, whatever strength daily strength challenge my group comes up with next month.

So far:
4/1: 2 mile walk/run (recovery from Xterra Guam), 30 thrusters
4/2: 16 mile run, 30 thrusters
4/3: 4 mile run, 30 thrusters
4/4: Rest day from running, so no cardio. Had I seen this challenge earlier I would have replaced with something else! Also got in the 30 thrusters
Last edited by: Champalada: Apr 4, 14 23:55
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--97 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but I never tried to calculate how much time I'm actually swimming and how much I'm resting - does it matter?

I just put down the total time from the workout.

And Dawn - never too late!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--97 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for starting this, I'm in! I just logged in my workouts starting 4/1 to make sure it worked. My time is going to look out of kilter with my activities because I'm so limited and have to do everything so slow and easy with lots of rest - I saw the swim pace calculated and it looks horrible, but I never tried to calculate how much time I'm actually swimming and how much I'm resting - does it matter?

***tc still lurking!!!****
I log my swim time as follows: 1min30 per 100 swum. That is, decide what your average 100 is (think about a swum 100, a kicked 100, a breaststroke or other stroke 100), pick some time that makes the maths nice (1:30 works well, as does 2 min, etc) and do that.
It really doesn't matter - the substance of the workout (or that you did it!) is what matters - but I figure it's "fair" in terms of comparing actual Time Spent Swimming to time spent running or cycling etc.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--96 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome, all! As the title says "You can still sign up!" If haven't already, be sure to sign up for the challenge under the training log page.

MDiane, unlike so other challenges, we only have two rules: you define your activity/time; and no doubles to make up missed workouts. So no doubles just to make up for days missed for your oral surgery. That second rule is to keep the overachievers amongst us from doing too much. ;-)

Last edited by: Tri3: Apr 5, 14 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--97 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TC!

Logging swim time: Not that I'm doing any now, but I log from the time a body first hits the water to the last time a body part leaves, understanding that the average per 100 gives me a combination of rest/swim.

Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--96 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Welcome, all! As the title says "You can still sign up!" If haven't already, be sure to sign up for the challenge under the training log page.

MDiane, unlike so other challenges, we only have two rules: you define your activity/time; and no doubles to make up missed workouts. So no doubles just to make up for days missed for your oral surgery. That second rule is to keep the overachievers amongst us from doing too much. ;-)

I guess I misinterpreted the part where "planned doubles" are allowed. Oh well, I'll still be in better shape going into surgery and hopefully recover more quickly. Maybe I'll finally drop a few of the 15 pounds I've gained since I got hurt.

Thanks,
Diane
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--96 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I suppose you can define "planned" however you like. The point is to discourage doubling up solely for the purpose of meeting a number/making up missed days. So go for what works for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Well, I suppose you can define "planned" however you like. The point is to discourage doubling up solely for the purpose of meeting a number/making up missed days. So go for what works for you.

Got it, I'll go with the way it was meant to be. You'd think after 10 months of being so limited that my OCD-ness would be a bit more under control ;-)

Diane
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--96 days left--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, FWIW I'm two years into being limited and I still have the same issue. It's why I had to pick the very easiest workout on TrainerRoad, and abide by the power numbers on it and cut it off strictly at half an hour--no matter how good I feel. (Man, those endorphins are sneaky critters!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've grown--we're up to 14 participants in the challenge!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed yesterday :-( I can list the excuses but the fact is, I needed to get to the gym and I didn't do it. Today will be a challenge too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply

Prev Next