Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? January 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone's 2014 has gotten off to a good start!

disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good last week at home. This is the first day of our winter semester, and I am already buried in work...
Goals for last week were to exercise as my back allowed (it is fine now and was fine last week) and be mindful with food. I am proud to report the food stuff went fine :-) I am also proud of having 2 weeks now with a day off from running.

M - 8 mi run + 1 mi walk
T - 8 mi run + 1.5 mi walk
W - 7 mi run + 2.6 mi walk
T - 8 mi run + 0.5 mi walk + 1600 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 2.6 mi walk
S - 70 min. stairmaster + 4100 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 1.5 mi walk

Totals: 5700 yd swim, 47 mi run, 9.7 mi walk

Goals for this week:
1. Keep doing well with food
2. At least 12k swim
3. At least 2 rides (even if they are short)

disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started strong with two workouts, then had awful neck/shoulder pain, work stress, insomnia issues...couldn't work out for 3 days. Today I decided to quit my coach after I realized I haven't gotten a ton out of it. I would prefer human interaction at a gym, which I could get for cheaper.

REALLY annoyed with the pain, especially with last week's massive gain in swim speed and distance. Will keep training - still going to try Vineman - but feeling like a sorryass lump right now.

1x 12 mi bike ride
1x 3.3 mi run

But I finished my wedding thank-you's, appeased my mother over a f****** gift to my grandfather (after 3+ "it's none of your business" phone calls), and did a ton of laundry, so I refuse to feel like a complete failbot. Just mostly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Last edited by: Agilecipher: Jan 6, 14 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-( Hang in there. I hear ya about the coaching, sometimes these things seem like a good idea at the time but if it's not giving you value, then don't do it, right? Make sure you get the pain dealt with, maybe a massage to also help with the stress?

I managed my 3 skates, 3 core/gym/drills, 1 ride but only 1 run (although it was a good one). Still a good week as the skating is really improving (esp when they are sharp! ding! note this is a PITA as they are hand sharpened - a good 30min of effort to get them right).

This week: I have to go to China on Sat for work, so 3 runs, 1 skate, 1 ride and 2 core/gym/drills are the goals. I am going to Shenzhen to visit 4 factories, and the air quality there is so bad my Health & Safety Manager is giving me N95 masks to take with. :-( Check it out. It's brutal. The goal is to NOT GET SICK!!!

http://aqicn.org/city/shenzhen/

Blech

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really remember last week much. It's all a blur leading up to my 5.5 hour oral board exam. That was early Sat. morning.
I'm not too sure how it went. I don't think I bombed it but didn't kill it either. Now just to wait the roughly two months to see if I got enough points to pass.

The weather in my neck of the woods has turned brutal. Coldest I ever remember experiencing. I totally wimped out on running outside yesterday and did the bike trainer (intervals) and a strength workout. Today is even colder so I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When's Vineman? You still have plenty of time. I know you've been under tons of pressure at work and w/ wedding, but I think going w/ local gym and human interaction may work out for you. Good luck. You'll surprise yourself. Good luck w/ shoulder / neck. That can be tough.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When do you find out how you did? We all want to know. Good luck. I'm sure you did amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - sounds like you're doing well. Don't rush the back, they can take a while to feel better

Last week - I had a good week. New Years Day off, so an extra day to train
Swam x 3. But two shorter than I would have liked. Still, swimming is becoming less of a chore and more enjoyable. dropping a little off my time which is very motivating.
Bike. x 4 - long bike of 3:30
Run x 6 for 47 miles. Having trouble w/ pain on lateral aspect of right knee. It's not IT band. At first I thought it was from the hip, but had massage therapist really work on that area w/o any improvement. New theory is it's coming from lateral calf. I have high hopes to train through this but time will tell.

This week -
Two weeks out from 1/2 marathon, so down to one leg work out a day. That means I'm going to try to swim a LOT this week and next week. Goal is 5 swims each week for next two weeks. Wish me luck :)

Happy training all.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad - about two months! Yes, I get to wait THAT long.
ug!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy and Nad. Vineman is in July - still fully refundable, so I am torn.

The only problem with joining a gym right now is that we are probably (95%) moving to Utah in a few months. I have moved every year since college and am sick of it, and this will be a big move - Utah for a year. Maybe I can find something monthly.

I'd just kill to have someone to ride with or jog with. My husband goes 2x my speed, so the best I get is a high five when hr laps me during evening runs around our apartment complex. /endWhine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the refundable thing. Also, the wanting to train w/ others. But I also think it's important to have goals. So if not Vineman, then what would be your goal. I'm just the kind of person who trains better w/ a goal. Also think of how expensive it will be to travel, Isn't Vineman in CA? So that's far if you haven't trained. Not bad if you have. I guess you just need to figure out what is realistic. If you honestly don't think you'll adequately train, then get refund, and maybe try next year.
And stop moving. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sage advice! I dream of a day when I can settle in a house.

I'd be going to Vineman anyway, as my husband will be competing (he did it last year, which is what inspired me to sign up this year - it's about as flat and easy as a half IM would ever get). If anything, I am an EXPERT sherpa, and I'd get to meet up with friends for wine tasting, as Vineman is in Napa. If I decide the ramp up is too big - after all, I've only done sprint tris and two half marathons in 2013 - I'd find oly distance races in Utah.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the womens are mostly kicking ass!

Had no goals for last week. Ended up with:

Run x 6 - 43.5km, including 14k on Saturday, which is my longest run since the end of October. Lots of hills in it; felt strong.
Core/strength x 3
Danced my butt off at the bar on New Year's Eve.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Swim x 3
Bike x 3
Core/strength x 4

Think my new lip piercings will be ok in the pool if I make sure to give them a coat of vit E oil before & afterward. I've missed swimming!

Cheers!

-mistress k