Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? January 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone's 2014 has gotten off to a good start!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good last week at home. This is the first day of our winter semester, and I am already buried in work...
Goals for last week were to exercise as my back allowed (it is fine now and was fine last week) and be mindful with food. I am proud to report the food stuff went fine :-) I am also proud of having 2 weeks now with a day off from running.

M - 8 mi run + 1 mi walk
T - 8 mi run + 1.5 mi walk
W - 7 mi run + 2.6 mi walk
T - 8 mi run + 0.5 mi walk + 1600 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 2.6 mi walk
S - 70 min. stairmaster + 4100 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 1.5 mi walk

Totals: 5700 yd swim, 47 mi run, 9.7 mi walk

Goals for this week:
1. Keep doing well with food
2. At least 12k swim
3. At least 2 rides (even if they are short)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started strong with two workouts, then had awful neck/shoulder pain, work stress, insomnia issues...couldn't work out for 3 days. Today I decided to quit my coach after I realized I haven't gotten a ton out of it. I would prefer human interaction at a gym, which I could get for cheaper.

REALLY annoyed with the pain, especially with last week's massive gain in swim speed and distance. Will keep training - still going to try Vineman - but feeling like a sorryass lump right now.

1x 12 mi bike ride
1x 3.3 mi run

But I finished my wedding thank-you's, appeased my mother over a f****** gift to my grandfather (after 3+ "it's none of your business" phone calls), and did a ton of laundry, so I refuse to feel like a complete failbot. Just mostly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Last edited by: Agilecipher: Jan 6, 14 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-( Hang in there. I hear ya about the coaching, sometimes these things seem like a good idea at the time but if it's not giving you value, then don't do it, right? Make sure you get the pain dealt with, maybe a massage to also help with the stress?

I managed my 3 skates, 3 core/gym/drills, 1 ride but only 1 run (although it was a good one). Still a good week as the skating is really improving (esp when they are sharp! ding! note this is a PITA as they are hand sharpened - a good 30min of effort to get them right).

This week: I have to go to China on Sat for work, so 3 runs, 1 skate, 1 ride and 2 core/gym/drills are the goals. I am going to Shenzhen to visit 4 factories, and the air quality there is so bad my Health & Safety Manager is giving me N95 masks to take with. :-( Check it out. It's brutal. The goal is to NOT GET SICK!!!

http://aqicn.org/city/shenzhen/

Blech

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really remember last week much. It's all a blur leading up to my 5.5 hour oral board exam. That was early Sat. morning.
I'm not too sure how it went. I don't think I bombed it but didn't kill it either. Now just to wait the roughly two months to see if I got enough points to pass.

The weather in my neck of the woods has turned brutal. Coldest I ever remember experiencing. I totally wimped out on running outside yesterday and did the bike trainer (intervals) and a strength workout. Today is even colder so I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When's Vineman? You still have plenty of time. I know you've been under tons of pressure at work and w/ wedding, but I think going w/ local gym and human interaction may work out for you. Good luck. You'll surprise yourself. Good luck w/ shoulder / neck. That can be tough.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When do you find out how you did? We all want to know. Good luck. I'm sure you did amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - sounds like you're doing well. Don't rush the back, they can take a while to feel better

Last week - I had a good week. New Years Day off, so an extra day to train
Swam x 3. But two shorter than I would have liked. Still, swimming is becoming less of a chore and more enjoyable. dropping a little off my time which is very motivating.
Bike. x 4 - long bike of 3:30
Run x 6 for 47 miles. Having trouble w/ pain on lateral aspect of right knee. It's not IT band. At first I thought it was from the hip, but had massage therapist really work on that area w/o any improvement. New theory is it's coming from lateral calf. I have high hopes to train through this but time will tell.

This week -
Two weeks out from 1/2 marathon, so down to one leg work out a day. That means I'm going to try to swim a LOT this week and next week. Goal is 5 swims each week for next two weeks. Wish me luck :)

Happy training all.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? January 6 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad - about two months! Yes, I get to wait THAT long.
ug!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy and Nad. Vineman is in July - still fully refundable, so I am torn.

The only problem with joining a gym right now is that we are probably (95%) moving to Utah in a few months. I have moved every year since college and am sick of it, and this will be a big move - Utah for a year. Maybe I can find something monthly.

I'd just kill to have someone to ride with or jog with. My husband goes 2x my speed, so the best I get is a high five when hr laps me during evening runs around our apartment complex. /endWhine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the refundable thing. Also, the wanting to train w/ others. But I also think it's important to have goals. So if not Vineman, then what would be your goal. I'm just the kind of person who trains better w/ a goal. Also think of how expensive it will be to travel, Isn't Vineman in CA? So that's far if you haven't trained. Not bad if you have. I guess you just need to figure out what is realistic. If you honestly don't think you'll adequately train, then get refund, and maybe try next year.
And stop moving. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sage advice! I dream of a day when I can settle in a house.

I'd be going to Vineman anyway, as my husband will be competing (he did it last year, which is what inspired me to sign up this year - it's about as flat and easy as a half IM would ever get). If anything, I am an EXPERT sherpa, and I'd get to meet up with friends for wine tasting, as Vineman is in Napa. If I decide the ramp up is too big - after all, I've only done sprint tris and two half marathons in 2013 - I'd find oly distance races in Utah.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the womens are mostly kicking ass!

Had no goals for last week. Ended up with:

Run x 6 - 43.5km, including 14k on Saturday, which is my longest run since the end of October. Lots of hills in it; felt strong.
Core/strength x 3
Danced my butt off at the bar on New Year's Eve.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Swim x 3
Bike x 3
Core/strength x 4

Think my new lip piercings will be ok in the pool if I make sure to give them a coat of vit E oil before & afterward. I've missed swimming!

Cheers!

-mistress k