Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaby2008, I'm usually between 61 and 64 min at LP and ride between 5:40 and 5:55, so not really fast, but steady. Although I am registed for LP this year, for a number of health reasons, I will not be racing an Ironman this year, thus ending my streak of doing all the LP Ironmans (bummer). I'll be in France instead this summer riding the Alpes and watching the Tour :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Verrrryyy interesting. I have three rides in on my P3 so far in the last 2 weeks. It is almost spooky scary on how fast it accelerates downhill. I have only really let it loose on one short hill staying on the aero bars, and even with wearing late winter/early spring tights, jacket, bulky crap etc etc, I hit 39 mph in about a tenth of a mile. Not a particularly steep hill or long, and I weigh about 142 lbs on a 48 cm frame. Amazed the hell out of me. The handling remained rock solid although it was a reasonably straight roll out (thus the choice for testing speed in the first place). Secondly, I asked about IMC because it will be my first IM come this August. Any others out there to report on speeds?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2001, I hit 52 mph. I was on a Trek road frame (2300). I weighed about 205 lbs so lots of inertia :-) This year, I'm on a P3. I'll be around 190 lbs. Should make for an interesting ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live fairly close to LP and ride the course often. Depending upon wind conditions, speeds top out anywhere between 53 & 63. I have raced it the past 3 years & the highest I have hit has been 59. On the first loop, it is tough to let it all hang out because of the other people braking (62 min swim). On the second loop, or in training there is no need to every use the brakes. It is quite straight and you don't turn for a good half mile after the descent.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [Goatboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Two thoughts.

First, I always pictured the Nice triathlon (in the 1980’s) as intimidating as the pro’s regularly hit speeds of over 50 mph. Now, there is a tri in my own backyard that hits these speeds regularly! Second, and more importantly, I see much more clearly the need to stay right as much as possible. I didn’t pay as much attention to that last year at races like Tupper Lake, as early on in the race the bike course was very crowded (an additional benefit of a later wave start).

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Last edited by: parkito: Apr 8, 04 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are definitely crazy. Either that, or you know how to ride a bike. I have white knuckles on the brakes once I hit 40. The curves on this "quite straight" downhill scare me to tears. The biopsy shapped I beams that constitue the "guard rails" don't help much.

See you in July. I'll apparently be on the first lap of the marathon while you are on the second, but I will see you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the course last summer and topped 50. I don't recall the actual max mph. I timed my descent from a point at the top and it took me ~7 minutes to get to Keene (no braking and tucked to maximize speed). My riding partner needed to brake and took ~11 minutes to get to Keene from the same point. So we're talking about roughly 8 minutes cost of braking. Not a huge deal, but it's a free 8 minutes to those who can pull out all the stops. No clue on Canada.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, Art, I think I'm kind of with you. For me, it's not the speed, it's the horrible pavement, the cars and trucks passing, and the other riders that concern me. I'm not afraid to go fast, I just need a smooth, empty road to do it. Otherwise, 40 is about my limit. I hope the LP course is smoother than the Tupper Lake Course, where I was constantly avoiding hazards in the pavement.

See you in July.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, me too. It is not the speed. It is the fact that I am devout practicing coward. Slows me every time.

I go from the 10 mile marker to the 15 mile marker in 9:00 on a good day.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You oughta come ride in New Jersey for practice. Tupper Lake is cake after riding around here for a while.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I understand. I live in MA, where all the highway money goes into the giant hole called the Big Dig(On behalf of Mass-holes everywhere, I both apologize and thank you for your continued financial support. Just a few billion more...) I don't think a road has been repaved here in 15 years.

I went for my first outdoor ride here a few weeks ago, and spent so much time avoiding holes and cracks that I spent little time trying to go fast. It made for a disappointing ride from an average speed perspective.

It does give you perspective,though, when you hear someone describe a route as pristine, smooth, or perfect and then go ride it yourself and keep flatting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [dre125038] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the analytical breakdown on the cost of braking. I guess the agressive ride is worth it if you are on the "borderline" of qualifying, or if you are on the borderline of breaking fill in the blank time (12,11,10,...).

I am not pulling out all the tricks just yet. My goal is to finish the swim and the bike "steady" and feel good for the run where the 8 minutes mentioned could easily be lost by poor pacing or nutrition. Considering my lack of skill at that speed the 8 minutes is not worth the risk. I feel just like A.J. Frank, but I live in Florida like he does.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Bike Course [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ mph downhills! 60 minute or less swims!! It's Madness I tell you! Madness!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Joe's (Goatboy) assessment of the Keene downhill. It's not as bad as you might think and the speeds can get up there. I've done LP the past two years and the descent last year was affected by the wind and rain, especially the crosswind which took my bike and lifted it a couple times on the descent. I have topped out over 50 on the descent and I am not particularly reckless. I have a Serotta Legend (road bike) with aero bars and krysirium wheels and the bike handles very nice. I'm 5'6" and about 148 so there isn't a lot of weight on the bike to hold it on the road but I was still able to manage high speeds with no difficulty. Although I am not referring to last year. Last year anything over 45 on the descent was very hairy due to the crosswinds that I experienced. It was hydroplane nightmares during that descent. Hopefully this year we will have better weather
Quote Reply

Prev Next