Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Newbie Swim Question [Argoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apmoss: great post! Thank you!

As an update: Got a little advice from a pro and changed up my form during this evening's swim. I'm now doing 50 meters in 47-48 seconds without going too hard. On a 100 meter swim I'm breathing every other stroke for almost 75 meters, then once every stroke. On my first 100 I gave too much effort and was able to complete it in 1 minute, 20 seconds...too fast. But what I noticed is what another poster identified: my fitness isn't where it should be. I need to work hard on that. Next tri is 6/15. Thanks for all the sage advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argoman wrote:

As an update: Got a little advice from a pro and changed up my form during this evening's swim. I'm now doing 50 meters in 47-48 seconds without going too hard. On a 100 meter swim I'm breathing every other stroke for almost 75 meters, then once every stroke. On my first 100 I gave too much effort and was able to complete it in 1 minute, 20 seconds...too fast. But what I noticed is what another poster identified: my fitness isn't where it should be. I need to work hard on that. Next tri is 6/15. Thanks for all the sage advice!

Something doesn't add up, unless you had really serious stroke flaws that instantaneously got fixed.

Quote:
I average (in a pool) about 9 minutes over 400 meters in a full suit.

For comparison: in a 50m pool, a 400m swim as a warmup will take me around 7:00. As part of a set, I'll do a 400m in 6:30 or under. At the end of a ~1500m workout, I'll do an "all-out" 100m in...1:20.
No wetsuit involved.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Swim Question [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Argoman wrote:

Something doesn't add up, unless you had really serious stroke flaws that instantaneously got fixed.

Quote:
I average (in a pool) about 9 minutes over 400 meters in a full suit.

o
Right, I was approaching my freestyle stroke incorrectly. I was moving very inefficiently. I have a bad habit of trying to kick too forcefully, among other things. I was taught a different method of kicking, a different way to enter my arms into the water, to focus on raising my upper back out of the water with each stroke (instructed to "dig into the water".) Also a different way to breath. It all added up very quickly and reduced my 50 meter time to around 48 seconds. Now, I'll say that because I'm not as fit with the swim, I don't think I can keep that pace up for a consistent 400 meters. I'll likely see my time worsen with each 100 meters. I also think I was incorrect about my 9 minutes over 400 meters. I was more towards 10 minutes.

For comparison: in a 50m pool, a 400m swim as a warmup will take me around 7:00. As part of a set, I'll do a 400m in 6:30 or under. At the end of a ~1500m workout, I'll do an "all-out" 100m in...1:20.
No wetsuit involved.

Those are good numbers. I'm not you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to say with any degree of certainty based on a brief post, but I think you'll discover that sprint is a distance that requires VO2 and anaerobic training to be prepared for race day. Your mile swim is probably in zone 2. The Olympic distance prep involves a lot of threshold work (z4) and 70.3 I do tempo pace (z3) in speed-focused sessions. The logic is that the speed training is adjusted in volume and intensity for the duration of the race. Training in zone 2 for months and trying to race zone 5 is going to hurt like crazy and probably cause you to blow the motor. Just my thoughts! Good luck out there and enjoy:)
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Swim Question [DarkStarTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Darkside. I thought about that, but in less sophisticated terms. It really hit me yesterday. I changed my form, stroke, kick, breathing, and slashed my times. But I also realized that even though I felt like if was gliding I was really exerting more effort, which is going to drain me much more quickly.. I have to train at that level.

How often do you train for the swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weekly there is usually a speed session, an endurance session, and either a recovery or tempo session depending on the phase. so three. dialing in the appropriate paces/HR takes time and (I will expose my type-A here) some retrospective analysis of performances. in the swimming discipline...I say get a very good coach that can get your form as tight as possible. You'll save a lot of exertion that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argoman

Your numbers do not make sense so its a bit hard to give some pointers on wher you can fix things up

You can do 47-48 for a 50m and a 1:20 for a 100m. A 1:20 is actually faster than 47-48 for a 50. Is this all in the same pool, a meters pool or a yards pool?

And then you can only do 9 or 10 minutes in a full wetsuit for a 400m?

Are the times above with or without a wersuit?

Assuming these are not just your numbers you get when you are doing a full out sprint, and you are seriously dropping off from 1:20 per 100m to 2:30 per 100 when you go out to 400m, you just need to slow things down. Slow things down a lot.... Your pacing doesn't make any sense if those numbers are true.

Just as a rough comparison, you would probably expect someone to swim a hard 400m about 10 to 15 seconds per 100 slower than a hard 100m. So say your 50m is 45 seconds, your 100m is 1:35, you'd expect that the 400 would be around 7 minutes or so . Not as much of a drop off as what you've got.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Swim Question [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Argoman

Your numbers do not make sense so its a bit hard to give some pointers on wher you can fix things up

You can do 47-48 for a 50m and a 1:20 for a 100m. A 1:20 is actually faster than 47-48 for a 50. Is this all in the same pool, a meters pool or a yards pool?

Are the times above with or without a wersuit?

Assuming these are not just your numbers you get when you are doing a full out sprint, and you are seriously dropping off from 1:20 per 100m to 2:30 per 100 when you go out to 400m, you just need to slow things down. Slow things down a lot.... Your pacing doesn't make any sense if those numbers are true.

Just as a rough comparison, you would probably expect someone to swim a hard 400m about 10 to 15 seconds per 100 slower than a hard 100m. So say your 50m is 45 seconds, your 100m is 1:35, you'd expect that the 400 would be around 7 minutes or so . Not as much of a drop off as what you've got.

The OP indicated that someone changed his stroke, and he instantly went from 2:15-30/100m for a 400 to 1:20 for a 100; that 47-48 was without working too hard, and the 1:20 was "going out too hard". Maybe he was carrying the wetsuit instead of wearing it in that 400?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Swim Question [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Argoman

Right, so I was doing 9-10 minutes in a wet suit for 400 meters, but I was going along at a slower pace. I've taken some coaching and have greatly improved my time using about the same pace (maybe a bit more effort, actually.) When I was timed doing a few 50's, I was averaging the 47-48 seconds. When I started doing timed 100s my time came down, but it was because I was over exerting myself. I felt it to. And it turns out that I've been using a pool measured in yards, not meters. I just assumed it was meters.

I think it comes down to lots of practicing with a proper swim strokes and breathing, and lots more work on the fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have anything constructive to add to what has already been said, but anecdotally whenever I try to convince my friends to race, since they can run and bike, and "swim", I never tell them what the race swim is like because I would have to generally sum it up as "chaos". No matter how I'm feeling on the day or how I did, I got scratched, kicked, or punched.

Nutmeg State
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Swim Question [alexl11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexl11 wrote:
I don't have anything constructive to add to what has already been said, but anecdotally whenever I try to convince my friends to race, since they can run and bike, and "swim", I never tell them what the race swim is like because I would have to generally sum it up as "chaos". No matter how I'm feeling on the day or how I did, I got scratched, kicked, or punched.

Thanks Alex. So, I ride hard, can run, and I was doing at least 1600 yards in the pool twice a week. So how hard could a quick 400 meter swim be for my first Sprint, right? I really believed that I was going to leave the whole pack behind, no problem. And then I almost drowned....

I think I have it figured. I needed clear advice on how to swim correctly, vastly improve my fitness, and get a few sprints in. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Quote Reply

Prev Next