Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it?
Quote | Reply
My concrete drive needs some love,just a few small cracks which I filled.
Looks like a couple of different brands with same process.
Who has some experience with this process?
Quote Reply
Re: Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure it's done correctly or it will just pop off.

You'll want to make sure existing concrete is power washed.
Then you'll need a two part process-adhesive and then topping. Even then, no guarantees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is likely to crack and fall off.
Quote Reply
Re: Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Make sure it's done correctly or it will just pop off.

You'll want to make sure existing concrete is power washed.
Then you'll need a two part process-adhesive and then topping. Even then, no guarantees.

This. I wouldn't do it, personally. It's a bandaid solution you will most likely have to redo sooner than you would hope.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to sell everything concrete related. There’s a product called Ardex CD that has epoxy in it. You can skim it to 1/8” and it’ll bond to existing. I’ve hit it with sledges and it doesn’t break. Sold truck loads of the stuff after spec housing dev. Ran a sweeper through while the slabs were curing. Red clay dirt turned the driveways red. Cheaper than a repour. This was 35yrs ago and it’s still in tact. Incredible stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it? [Grahamsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grahamsc wrote:
Used to sell everything concrete related. There’s a product called Ardex CD that has epoxy in it. You can skim it to 1/8” and it’ll bond to existing. I’ve hit it with sledges and it doesn’t break. Sold truck loads of the stuff after spec housing dev. Ran a sweeper through while the slabs were curing. Red clay dirt turned the driveways red. Cheaper than a repour. This was 35yrs ago and it’s still in tact. Incredible stuff.

This made me chuckle pretty good. I bet that was an awesome Friday afternoon when that happened. (I'm assuming that's when it happened... That sounds like a Friday afternoon fuck up kind of story).

Interesting about Ardex CD. Never heard of that product. I would think after a couple years of freeze/thawing and being driven over that would just delaminate from the original slab in chunks.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grahamsc wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ardex is good stuff, coming from northern Utah.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think of Ardex as self leveling floor compound.

We use "Ardex" in the same way people use "Kleenex" for tissue.
Quote Reply