Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it?
Quote | Reply
My concrete drive needs some love,just a few small cracks which I filled.
Looks like a couple of different brands with same process.
Who has some experience with this process?
Quote Reply
Re: Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure it's done correctly or it will just pop off.

You'll want to make sure existing concrete is power washed.
Then you'll need a two part process-adhesive and then topping. Even then, no guarantees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is likely to crack and fall off.
Quote Reply
Re: Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Make sure it's done correctly or it will just pop off.

You'll want to make sure existing concrete is power washed.
Then you'll need a two part process-adhesive and then topping. Even then, no guarantees.

This. I wouldn't do it, personally. It's a bandaid solution you will most likely have to redo sooner than you would hope.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to sell everything concrete related. There’s a product called Ardex CD that has epoxy in it. You can skim it to 1/8” and it’ll bond to existing. I’ve hit it with sledges and it doesn’t break. Sold truck loads of the stuff after spec housing dev. Ran a sweeper through while the slabs were curing. Red clay dirt turned the driveways red. Cheaper than a repour. This was 35yrs ago and it’s still in tact. Incredible stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Skim coat concrete drive way, anyone do it? [Grahamsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grahamsc wrote:
Used to sell everything concrete related. There’s a product called Ardex CD that has epoxy in it. You can skim it to 1/8” and it’ll bond to existing. I’ve hit it with sledges and it doesn’t break. Sold truck loads of the stuff after spec housing dev. Ran a sweeper through while the slabs were curing. Red clay dirt turned the driveways red. Cheaper than a repour. This was 35yrs ago and it’s still in tact. Incredible stuff.

This made me chuckle pretty good. I bet that was an awesome Friday afternoon when that happened. (I'm assuming that's when it happened... That sounds like a Friday afternoon fuck up kind of story).

Interesting about Ardex CD. Never heard of that product. I would think after a couple years of freeze/thawing and being driven over that would just delaminate from the original slab in chunks.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grahamsc wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ardex is good stuff, coming from northern Utah.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think of Ardex as self leveling floor compound.

We use "Ardex" in the same way people use "Kleenex" for tissue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My concrete drive is looking a bit tired too, but those small cracks you filled should help extend its life. I read about a smooth driveway curb ramp https://smoothcurb.com/shop/smooth-curb-driveway-curb-ramp/ and it seems to be a great addition to improve accessibility and make the transition between the drive and the curb seamless. I've heard good things about this process, so I'm curious to learn more.
Last edited by: jonesd: May 6, 24 10:09
Quote Reply