Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Concentrated bottle of Dr. Harrison’s Potent Potion helped me to my best 70.3. So darn simple…sugar and sodium citrate.

No, no, no. It's Speed Nectar®.

Yes, it's legitimately registered, which makes me giggle.

Potent Potion® is Mortal Hydration's fix for their watered down current product.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I just read that it’s Gatorade thirst quencher for races through June. Come July it will be mortal.
Folks, please add salt or sodium citrate, or some other sodium supplement if you're 'living off the course' and surviving just off of Gatorade alone.

I'm a little surprised Gatorade's and IM legal teams are letting that happen. Gatorade alone in a 140.6 is a recipe for increased hyponatremia death counts.

Paging Tim Noakes. (he's a vicious anti-Gatorade zealot because of the spat of deaths they pretty much single-handedly spearheaded in the early 2000's. While I disagree with more than a couple of his other ideas, he's pretty spot-on with his anti-Gatorade zealotry.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Folks, please add salt or sodium citrate, or some other sodium supplement if you're 'living off the course' and surviving just off of Gatorade alone.

Let's say I came into some GU Roctane electrolyte capsules at no charge to me.......would these be sufficient to supplement the Gatorade that I'm consuming during a 70.3 (Louisville)?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
mkb wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I just read that it’s Gatorade thirst quencher for races through June. Come July it will be mortal.

I'm a little surprised Gatorade's and IM legal teams are letting that happen. Gatorade alone in a 140.6 is a recipe for increased hyponatremia death counts.

Paging Tim Noakes. (he's a vicious anti-Gatorade zealot because of the spat of deaths they pretty much single-handedly spearheaded in the early 2000's. While I disagree with more than a couple of his other ideas, he's pretty spot-on with his anti-Gatorade zealotry.)

I was interested so I looked up his name. It seems he's arguing that adding sodium doesn't really do a lot to prevent hyponatremia.

Anyhow, article here with links to the paper:
https://sweatscience.com/...-noakes-vs-gatorade/

I'm curious about your thoughts on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just go back and pick up your dropped bottle
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's wrong there. He's right that overdrinking absent sodium is the primary problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
But, long story short -- Gatorade is killing the endurance formula, and is focusing all their marketing / events model on "traditional" sports marketing as opposed to anything in the run / triathlon world. That and new products, such as their Gatorade water. So they exited, stage right.

Bingo. *triggers knee jerk to leap up on soapbox*

We're coming for you there, too, Gatorade. Settle into your role for now; the convenience store lifestyle beverage for serving at birthday parties and to the guy watching (but not playing) football and grilling cheesedogs with his buddies or eating chips watching the Final Four.

I so look forward to bringing the combo of software, hardware, and education to bear on Gatorade's enormous market cap in that arena, too.

*stepping off soapbox and takes off evil villain mask*

Y'all can enjoy this vid we just did on Gatorade Endurance, if you're curious what exactly you're about to be missing out on. Just posted it.

We'll do Mortal next.

Pretty fair video. I think if you like the taste of the gatorade stuff it would be decent to add in some extra sugar and sodium citrate on your own to top it off and still get some of the flavors. The reason why I think perhaps it's a little unfair is how quickly you dismissed the addition of maltodextrin or potassium. I like using maltodextrin because it's not as sweet, but still adds carbs. From a performance side, I've assume it's helpful because it has such a high glycemic index. Is there a reason to dismiss it?

Similar question on potassium. Why dismiss it? Are you saying it's not helping as much as sodium so it's not necessary? Or not helping at all? This is the old wives tale side of me, but there's the whole potassium reduces headaches advice I've grown up with my whole life. It's pretty common for long endurance events for people to get a headache, so I'd assume that potassium could be beneficial here. At a minimum, does it hurt to add? If so, why not add it? Would you be opposed to adding potassium citrate in a home made mix?
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 19, 24 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I would’ve loved to also read is:

“We’ll do more bloopers next.”

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
What I would’ve loved to also read is:

“We’ll do more bloopers next.”
I have a file. It’s building. Once it reaches critical mass. Maybe we could open it to our YouTube “members”. I think we have two or three 😝

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
But, long story short -- Gatorade is killing the endurance formula, and is focusing all their marketing / events model on "traditional" sports marketing as opposed to anything in the run / triathlon world. That and new products, such as their Gatorade water. So they exited, stage right.

Bingo. *triggers knee jerk to leap up on soapbox*

We're coming for you there, too, Gatorade. Settle into your role for now; the convenience store lifestyle beverage for serving at birthday parties and to the guy watching (but not playing) football and grilling cheesedogs with his buddies or eating chips watching the Final Four.

I so look forward to bringing the combo of software, hardware, and education to bear on Gatorade's enormous market cap in that arena, too.

*stepping off soapbox and takes off evil villain mask*

Y'all can enjoy this vid we just did on Gatorade Endurance, if you're curious what exactly you're about to be missing out on. Just posted it.

We'll do Mortal next.

Pretty fair video. I think if you like the taste of the gatorade stuff it would be decent to add in some extra sugar and sodium citrate on your own to top it off and still get some of the flavors. The reason why I think perhaps it's a little unfair is how quickly you dismissed the addition of maltodextrin or sodium. I like using maltodextrin because it's not as sweet, but still adds carbs. From a performance side, I've assume it's helpful because it has such a high glycemic index. Is there a reason to dismiss it?

Similar question on potassium. Why dismiss it? Are you saying it's not helping as much as sodium so it's not necessary? Or not helping at all? This is the old wives tale side of me, but there's the whole potassium reduces headaches advice I've grown up with my whole life. It's pretty common for long endurance events for people to get a headache, so I'd assume that potassium could be beneficial here. At a minimum, does it hurt to add? If so, why not add it? Would you be opposed to adding potassium citrate in a home made mix?
You’re right, honestly. I think we overly poopooed maltodextrin in that video. It’s fine. It just often contributes to the unnecessary cost hiking and harmful drifting of the glucose fructose ratio towards 2:1 or below. In this product’s case that actually ended up not being a concern. We filmed after a night of no sleep for me and a very long two days of work. I’ll make that as my excuse. :)

Regarding potassium: more likely to do harm than good, but very small risk and magnitude of harm if added in very small amounts (like 5-25% as much potassium as sodium). Chance of benefiting: near zero. Hypokalemia is rarely problematic compared to hyponatremia or even hypocalcemia.

Hypokalemia is rarely harmful and virtually never disastrous or fatal in sport.

Hyponatremia is common, always at least slightly harmful, often disastrous, and occasionally deadly in sport.

Hypocalcemia is rare but always disastrous once it progresses because of the whole body cramping, and rarely fatal to my knowledge because the symptoms escalate to discomfort so widely and quickly that people get help before they die.

To prevent hypokalemia you need only a very small amount of potassium and often none.

To prevent hypothermia and dehydration, you often need a huge amount of sodium.

To prevent hypocalcemia you usually don’t have to do anything but 5-10% as much calcium as sodium does the trick for virtually everyone who is among the 1-2% of people who are susceptible. (Very high sweat rate, usually larger bodies).

Risk of adding potassium:
More gut risk
Furthering hydration and sodium needs as your body tries to stave off hyponatremia.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
"Gatorade WATER?"

Gee, I wonder which brand they're afraid of in that segment?

Uh-oh

https://www.nascar.com/...fficial-partnership/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been a lifelong endurance athlete, to include 3 years of triathlons, waaaay back in the day. I accomplished my goal of completing an Ironman-distance event and moved on to other endeavors. I must say, though, it was not without benefits as I learned a very, very valuable lesson during the 1 IM I did, and that is: NEVER rely on on-course feeding. You can take advantage of it if you wish, but you should absolutely, always, and without fail carry enough fuel with you to finish the distance.

In my case, doing the Cape Cod Ironman in '88, the promoters did not prepare properly and there was ZERO fuel at any of the aid stations beyond mile 10 of the marathon by the time I got there. The only thing that saved me was that a volunteer at one of the aid stations around 20 miles in had his own personal 2-liter bottle of coke in an ice chest, and I was able to persuade him to let me have the last few sips. I had bonked so badly that it took 3 days for my urine to return to normal color.

I did the 100 mile event at Unbound last year and carried all of my calories with me, and would do the same thing for Leadville this year if not for the fact that I'll have a support crew available at two locations throughout the race.
Last edited by: Mudge: Apr 19, 24 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the last post on the thread, but not only does mortal hydration not have enough of stuff you do need it does have stevia. So if you are intolerant and also prone to dropping things (like I am) bring double extra of your own stuff.

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Omelette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or go pick your litter up if you drop it bc now it’s a DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Let's say I came into some GU Roctane electrolyte capsules at no charge to me.......would these be sufficient to supplement the Gatorade that I'm consuming during a 70.3 (Louisville)?
Yes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next