Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:
l feel it’s worthwhile to bring attention to the fact that biological women who are competing for roster spots, trophies, records, scholarships, or paychecks also find it unfair that their events are open biological men and they may be burdened and forced to pay more or move to find areas that don’t allow biological men to compete and/or they suffer economic hardship by missing out on scholarships or opportunities or prize monies.

No disagreement at all.

But do you sincerely think that Blakeman's approach with county facilities is the best way to achieve this goal, to address the issue quoted above?

Best? No idea.

But at times I certainly think the govt needs to step in. And title IX was ruled on 50+ years ago. This definitely undermines that.

So I like this option better than the lack of continuity that surely is a detriment to women seeking a fair opportunity and is almost certainly going to continue if it’s left up to individuals here there and everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a lose/lose situation for the county with this ban.

If I am allowed to host my competitive events for women, including both cis and trans women, under the EO rules and gain the full benefit of the county facilities like any other person, then what what does the EO achieve? Why should we have this superfluous rule?

If I am denied the beneficial use of the county facilities because the pairing of cis and trans women in events is disallowed, then isn’t that a violation of my freedom of association? It’s a broad government restriction that interferes with my events, which are clearly not harmful to anyone. There is no legitimate government interest served by refusing me permits.

The sports governing bodies are not government and are not subject to the same 1st Amendment restrictions. Thus, they would be the correct entity to create rules to protect competition in sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Quote:
l feel it’s worthwhile to bring attention to the fact that biological women who are competing for roster spots, trophies, records, scholarships, or paychecks also find it unfair that their events are open biological men and they may be burdened and forced to pay more or move to find areas that don’t allow biological men to compete and/or they suffer economic hardship by missing out on scholarships or opportunities or prize monies.
No disagreement at all.

But do you sincerely think that Blakeman's approach with county facilities is the best way to achieve this goal, to address the issue quoted above?
Best? No idea.

But at times I certainly think the govt needs to step in. And title IX was ruled on 50+ years ago. This definitely undermines that.

So I like this option better than the lack of continuity that surely is a detriment to women seeking a fair opportunity and is almost certainly going to continue if it’s left up to individuals here there and everywhere.

Ok, understood.

I personally would not be opposed to the federal govt stepping in with a national but narrowly tailored and effective approach, one that had buy in from all (or at least most) of the directly affected parties, especially teams and sport governing bodies. What that law or policy would be exactly, I am not sure.

But doing this just county by county with only certain facilities impacted and using a facility ban on womens teams in general (if those teams include trans women) by grandstanding politicians seems far from effective or ideal to me.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 19, 24 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:

If I am allowed to host my competitive events for women, including both cis and trans women, under the EO rules and gain the full benefit of the county facilities like any other person, then what what does the EO achieve? Why should we have this superfluous rule?

If I am denied the beneficial use of the county facilities because the pairing of cis and trans women in events is disallowed, then isn’t that a violation of my freedom of association? It’s a broad government restriction that interferes with my events, which are clearly not harmful to anyone. There is no legitimate government interest served by refusing me permits.

The sports governing bodies are not government and are not subject to the same 1st Amendment restrictions. Thus, they would be the correct entity to create rules to protect competition in sports.

I think the women who are hoping to preserve fairness in their sport wouldn't consider this a loss.

And for the Nth time you are not denied the opportunity to use facilities with any combination of members AT ALL. You are completely free to participate and use them as you wish. So long as you fill out the paperwork correctly.

Edit: not just women, but all individuals hoping to preserve fairness would consider this a win.
Last edited by: Yeeper: Mar 19, 24 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Ok, understood.

I personally would not be opposed to the federal govt stepping in with a national but narrowly tailored and effective approach, one that had buy in from all (or at least most) of the directly affected parties, especially teams and sport governing bodies. What that law or policy would be exactly, I am not sure.

Imagine if we decided civil rights or the 19th amendment based on what the restaurants or businesses wanted. Personally I think it’s a good idea to be proactive with issues of this scope.

When it comes to fairness and equality we can’t really let the teams decide. It has already been established that certain aspects are protected, period. In this case title IX and fairness to biological women.

If you wouldnt want a team to say “we don’t recognize the protection of Asians in our organization” then you shouldn’t want a team to be able to say “we don’t recognize the protection of biological women in our organization” either. The govt has taken a stance on that and that is the way a lot of people view this when it comes to preserving women’s rights.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
But doing this just county by county with only certain facilities impacted and using a facility ban on womens teams in general (if those teams include trans women) by grandstanding politicians seems far from effective or ideal to me.

Effective being the key word here. You need to acknowledge that your idea of effective or an ideal outcome is different than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think that teams and sports governing bodies, if given input to a potential federal law or policy, would decide on an approach that is inherently unfair to women athletes? That they would all be ok with that?

Seems very unlikely to me.

I agree that we can't absolutely and always do exactly what various governing bodies might demand, but I would at least like to see what solution or solutions they come up with. Call me crazy, but I have far more confidence in their approaches over Blakeman's "how can I go viral and further my career" approach.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

I think the women who are hoping to preserve fairness in their sport wouldn't consider this a loss.

And for the Nth time you are not denied the opportunity to use facilities with any combination of members AT ALL. You are completely free to participate and use them as you wish. So long as you fill out the paperwork correctly.

Edit: not just women, but all individuals hoping to preserve fairness would consider this a win.

How does the rule preserve fairness if I can host my events which provide for competition of trans women against cis women? The whole point of my events is to bring these two groups together to establish for ourselves the balance between participation and competition. I need both groups together, without the influence of men, so we can explore the positive benefits of the community of women and make our own rules for competition. We have a competitive running race planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

How does the rule preserve fairness if I can host my events which provide for competition of trans women against cis women? The whole point of my events is to bring these two groups together to establish for ourselves the balance between participation and competition. I need both groups together, without the influence of men, so we can explore the positive benefits of the community of women and make our own rules for competition. We have a competitive running race planned.

So you want to discriminate against men and trans men. What kind of monster are you? What about their rights?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

The rule of fairness is preserved because biological woman have the option to willingly compete with or against biological males or they can choose to refrain and ensure their competition is strictly with or against other biological females.

The rule of fairness is preserved because they are not forced to be put into an unfair competition . They have no say over their competition or any position they put themself in.

The woman is allowed to choose. Hence he fairness to biological women is preserved.
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

So you want to discriminate against men and trans men. What kind of monster are you? What about their rights?

I’m a little monstrous! There are organizations that exclude women from leadership positions, and my organization might be as monstrous as them. After we hash out the rules for our competitions, we might let men participate in my organization in a limited capacity. I’m thinking about churches, of course, including many of the largest denominations, such as the Roman Catholic Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

The rule of fairness is preserved because biological woman have the option to willingly compete with or against biological males or they can choose to refrain and ensure their competition is strictly with or against other biological females.

The rule of fairness is preserved because they are not forced to be put into an unfair competition . They have no say over their competition or any position they put themself in.

The woman is allowed to choose. Hence he fairness to biological women is preserved.

I do not plan to force any women to sign up for my events! It is strictly voluntary and I intend to have big signs that accurately convey information so that no one is deceived.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

I do not plan to force any women to sign up for my events! It is strictly voluntary and I intend to have big signs that accurately convey information so that no one is deceived.

That’s great. I’m glad to hear you have an event that you would like to host and that you’ll be able to do just that. You want to include biological females and biological males into your event and create a cohesive event. I think it sounds great.

All you have to do is fill out the paperwork appropriately.

So where exactly is your hold up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

Except you want to lie to the facility hosting your events by not filling out the forms accurately. If you do so, then you will get your permit. Just admit that you are having a co-ed event minus cis men and trans-women. It think that would be allowed assuming you admit it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

I’m a little monstrous! There are organizations that exclude women from leadership positions, and my organization might be as monstrous as them. After we hash out the rules for our competitions, we might let men participate in my organization in a limited capacity. I’m thinking about churches, of course, including many of the largest denominations, such as the Roman Catholic Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) and the Southern Baptist Convention.

So to summarize, you’re ok with discriminating against men and trans men, and you’re against biological women having their own protected sports events. Glad we finally clarified your position.
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Go read what I wrote in Post 228. The group is wasting their time interacting with her.

You don't need to tell me. There's no one in the LR who has a better feel for how useless those discussions can be. There's a reason my replies are to Yeeper, and it's because I have Clara's posts set to "ignore."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
Go read what I wrote in Post 228. The group is wasting their time interacting with her.

You don't need to tell me. There's no one in the LR who has a better feel for how useless those discussions can be. There's a reason my replies are to Yeeper, and it's because I have Clara's posts set to "ignore."

This board needs a "like" button. :)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Nassau County NY, yes the same place that gave you George Santos, bans trans athletes from all county facilities. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More developments:

"Blakeman, a Republican who was elected in 2021, has said constituents asked his office to act. But many critics dismiss the ban as political posturing, noting he has acknowledged there have been no local complaints involving transgender players on women’s teams. "This is a solution in search of a problem,” said Emily Santosus, a 48-year old transgender woman on Long Island who hopes to join a women’s softball team. “We’re not bullies. We’re the ones that get bullied.” The ones who will suffer most aren’t elite athletes, but children still trying to navigate their gender identities, added Grace McKenzie, a transgender woman who plays for the New York Rugby Club’s women’s team. "Cruel is the only word that I can use to describe it,” the 30-year-old Brooklyn resident said. “Kids are using sports at that age to build relationships, make friendships, develop teamwork skills, leadership skills and, frankly, just help shield them from all the hate they face as transgender kids already."

https://apnews.com/...760c9d00372f322b7765

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are the women Grace McKenzie plays rugby against all in favor of her participation in their women’s rugby games, or should they not get a say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bet, those women should definitely get a say. Not Blakeman.

But the roller derby folks say they don't like Blakeman's idiocy. Should they get a say?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
More developments:

"Blakeman, a Republican who was elected in 2021, has said constituents asked his office to act. But many critics dismiss the ban as political posturing, noting he has acknowledged there have been no local complaints involving transgender players on women’s teams. "This is a solution in search of a problem,” said Emily Santosus, a 48-year old transgender woman on Long Island who hopes to join a women’s softball team. “We’re not bullies. We’re the ones that get bullied.” The ones who will suffer most aren’t elite athletes, but children still trying to navigate their gender identities, added Grace McKenzie, a transgender woman who plays for the New York Rugby Club’s women’s team. "Cruel is the only word that I can use to describe it,” the 30-year-old Brooklyn resident said. “Kids are using sports at that age to build relationships, make friendships, develop teamwork skills, leadership skills and, frankly, just help shield them from all the hate they face as transgender kids already."

https://apnews.com/...760c9d00372f322b7765

It would be better if the article was accurate in it's reporting.

"Sports leagues and teams seeking permits to play or practice in county-run parks must disclose whether they have or allow transgender women or girls. Any organization that allows them to play will be denied a permit, though men’s leagues and teams aren’t affected."

That's not what the E.O. says.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

But the roller derby folks say they don't like Blakeman's idiocy. Should they get a say?

And if they want to not play against biological men, who should they tell that can help them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

And if they want to not play against biological men, who should they tell that can help them?

They should tell everyone who will listen, particularly the league organization that sets the rules for league competition and play. If the league fails to make a majority of the players happy, the players can pressure the league to adopt policies that reflect their views. This is the most empowering way to meet the needs of the people most directly impacted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

This is sport, so they should of course get help from the organization(s) that set rules for sport. The same organization(s) that any person would go to if an event, team, or group did anything that allowed or promoted unfair competition. Wouldn't it be weird if a county micromanaged tri or cycling events so much that the county said that any cycling group (like triathletes) that wanted to use aero wheels deeper than, say, 35mm, they would be banned from county facilities?

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next