Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
what do you think Spitz's 2:00.7 converts to in today's tech suits, under waters and with Swim cap? I assume goggles or none did not slow these guys down.

max 5-6 seconds. I guess everyone is different, my open water suit is really quick, not swam with it in a pool. I'd imagine a top of the range tech suit would be close. I have swam in the pool with swimskins before. These are some 50m swims I did in a 50m pool with an arena swimskin, no dive. So swimskin was about 1.09min/100m pace and jammers about 1.16min/100m pace. This wasn't exactly a scientific experiment, I don't think the swimskin is 7s quicker than jammers, I may have gone harder in the swimskin, not sure. But I reckon if Spitz wore a modern tech suit, cap and goggles and shaved down, I reckon he'd go 1.54/1.55. Plus other things to consider like if the pool was a fast pool, lane ropes etc

1 = cheap training jammers
2 = swimskin and trisuit
3 = swimskin
4 = trisuit only
5 = back to jammers

Last edited by: zedzded: Feb 26, 24 20:02
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the DQ corrections guys.
The honest effort one is bad. Often in meets, (not conf. champs) swimmers will sprint the first 50 of a 100 to get the 50 time and lollygag the second 50. (Or 100/200) I don't know if they are being DQ'd. I'd bet if they did, the 50 time would not count.
The swimmer DQ'd should have gone faster than the 10 seconds slower he did. A decent pace would have saved him.

As for Spitz, his comeback attempt showed how much age affects us. I think he probably didn't have enough time training. As I remember his 100 fly would have been like top 10 for a 13-14 year old. Shows how far everything has advanced.
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for Spitz, his comeback attempt showed how much age affects us.//

He wasn't that old, his biggest problem was having left the sport for so long in-between. Had he stayed in swimming as a masters for those 20 years instead of just living a normal non sport life, he could have given it a much better go. Just to show how talented he really was, even with two decades out of the water, he still did a pretty good time, only about4 seconds from his olympic record. I was actually quite surprised at how well he went, but do wish he had been one of the held on athletes, and not a completely retired one...

Guys his age (at time of his comeback) are still in contention for big meets. Early 40's is not what it was thought to be 30 years ago. And a few still making olympic trials with a rare person actually making the team and getting a medal..(Ervin and Torres)
Last edited by: monty: Feb 27, 24 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Thanks for the DQ corrections guys.
The honest effort one is bad. Often in meets, (not conf. champs) swimmers will sprint the first 50 of a 100 to get the 50 time and lollygag the second 50. (Or 100/200) I don't know if they are being DQ'd. I'd bet if they did, the 50 time would not count.
The swimmer DQ'd should have gone faster than the 10 seconds slower he did. A decent pace would have saved him.

As for Spitz, his comeback attempt showed how much age affects us. I think he probably didn't have enough time training. As I remember his 100 fly would have been like top 10 for a 13-14 year old. Shows how far everything has advanced.

I had never heard of the "honest effort" rule before this week. Maybe It has been around for awhile but you just never hear about it coming into use very often. Same with the DQ for "interference"; clearly that rule is needed but I think the officials kind of went overboard on applying it in this case since he never actually interfered with anyone's race.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clearly that rule is needed but I think the officials kind of went overboard on applying it in this case since he never actually interfered with anyone's race. //

I liken this rule to the NFL's spiking the ball and excessive celebration in the end zone rule. Not so much affecting that swimmer still racing, but just putting out a bad look for the sport, and himself. Like throwing your golf club after a bad shot, leagues just dont tolerate behaviors that make them look bad anymore, or at least try to...
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there are two swimmers in a lane and you see it (while still racing) you are going to spend a conscious thought on it. That will cost you somewhere between 0.00 and 0.02 seconds. Which is to say “something.” The DQ was justified. Which doesn’t mean he’s a bad kid.
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [gary sr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:

But, hey, silver is not too bad. Gary Sr.

No, it really isn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
gary sr wrote:

But, hey, silver is not too bad. Gary Sr.

No, it really isn’t.

Also it was a silver that blew waaaay past his own world record by 3 seconds but as awesome as that was, another guy moved Gary's World record by 5 seconds in that same two year span. It's never moved that many seconds in two years since.

1970-1972 2:05 to 2.00
1972-2000 2.00 to 1.55
2000-2022 1:55 to 1:50

I know, I left out the 100ths which is what is meaingful at that level (just like seconds are measured at world marathon progression, not minutes), but wanted to just point out how much it moved in 2 years because of Spitz and Hall.
Quote Reply
Re: How Fast Would They Go Today: Gary Hall Sr vs Spitz Munich Olympics 200 fly [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
it was the ACC and the time was top 5 in the country. The kid still has a national qualifying time so this won't cost him that, atleast.

Here's the story:
https://swimswam.com/acc-champion-owen-lloyd-disqualified-for-his-post-race-celebration/

You can tell the age of anyone who comments on the story. Born before 1990 (or there abouts) your reaction is something like too bad this happened but he obviously broke the rules. Born after that and you are outraged he got DQd.

I'm still surprised he didn't know that rule? Aussie girls relay team were DQ'd for similar thing not that long ago as were a few other swimmers over the years. When my kids race, they have officials telling them to stay in the lanes when they finish and then directing them when they can get out and which ladder to use to exit the pool. It's kinda drummed in to you at a young age that you don't piss about in the pool. Maybe different in the US? I guess people will say it's a stupid rule, but it's a well known rule. Or should be. But it will be the first time and last time he does that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next