Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the NYC tri in 1979 maybe 1980, I have the results flyer somewhere in my garage.

It took place in Brooklyn, the swim was in the ocean (a dozen school busses took us to the start), the bike was an up and back on Coney Island Ave? and the run was on the Coney Island Board Walk. If you want a great surface to run on try running on a board walk.

I did a few more NYC tri's later on when it moved to Manhattan, running through Manhattan in your Speedo was neat.

Ron
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This first triathlon in Central Park was in 1988, NY Times covered it:

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/22/sports/on-your-own-a-triathlon-for-novices-and-experts.html

In Central Park this Saturday, the first-ever Central Park Triathlon will provide distances short enough for the first-time triathlete yet taxing enough for the experienced competitor looking for a workout.
''To compete in a triathlon, you don't have to be a top superstar, buy a $1,200 bicycle and get divorced in order to train,'' said Daniel Honig, president of the Big Apple Triathlon Club, which is organizing the event with the city's Parks and Recreation Department.
The Central Park competition, which begins at 7:30 A.M. at the Lasker Pool near 110th St., will consist of a 1/4-mile swim, a 12-mile bicycle race and a 5-mile run, distances that are shorter than the average triathlon.
The entrants in the Central Park Triathlon will swim six lengths of the pool, cycle two complete loops of the park on the outer roadway, and run again around the outer roadway before returning to the finish line at the pool via the 72d St. transverse. The winner is expected to complete the triathlon in one hour."
Last edited by: abenz: Feb 20, 24 8:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next