Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NYC Triathlon cancelled
Quote | Reply
SuperTri takes over a race, and the first thing they do is cancel it. Nice job.

https://www.triathlete.com/culture/news/new-york-city-triathlon-canceled-2024/

NYC Triathlon is an iconic race. Take the weekend that is open in July. If it's way too hot then turn it into a Sprint. This is not that hard. Athletes understand when the weather interferes. But to cancel a race without even trying is just lame. Really not good SuperTri.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
. . . . "the morning after it was announced that it would be cancelling the New York City Triathlon, Super League Triathlon announced it’s rebrand – “supertri is the new name and vision for Super League Triathlon and commits to ‘Inspire the Competitor in Everyone,'” according to a release sent out today. Today’s announcement stated that “A separate brand identity will set the tone for mass participation.” We assume, since information on the company’s Chicago, New York and Long Beach events is available on a website called triathlonmajors.com, that the new “brand identity” will be Triathlon Majors,. . . "
https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...york-city-triathlon/?
Tbf it wasn't a triathlon last year even when they scheduled it later in the year, after multiple summer 'fails'. Article explains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they doing a pro race in NYC this year? It says the race is coming back in 2025 so it's not going away
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Iconic race"

Outside if the tri state area bo one cares about this race.
And it's not even a very old race, I don't think anyone with a lot of experience in the sport calls this ab iconic race. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
NYC Triathlon is an iconic race. Take the weekend that is open in July. If it's way too hot then turn it into a Sprint. This is not that hard. Athletes understand when the weather interferes. But to cancel a race without even trying is just lame. Really not good SuperTri.

People keep signing up, so I guess they do, but have they run the full NYC Tri for age groupers anytime in the past 5 years? I last did it in 2017 when I think it was still the full course (I believe they may have started pulling people early later in the day). We moved out of the city, but the continual day-of shortening would have made me think twice about signing up for the July date ones if we were still around. If it happened once, sure, but recently it seems like it's been effectively guaranteed to have a short run and it's too expensive of a race to get downgraded to a sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYC is broke, and I imagine that anything the city previously provided in the way of support would now cost the organizers a crap tonne of money. Conjecture, admittedly, but... I can't imagine the city providing anything for free, though it's possible that they never did.
Last edited by: Mudge: Feb 18, 24 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, that is total conjecture, and not in any way true.
NYC Triathlon has been held for over 22 years now, and last year attracted over 2k racers. Many pro athletes race it, including Tim O'Donnell last year. It is iconic because you get to swim in the Hudson, ride your bike along the West Side highway, then run in Central Park.
In past years the demand so high they had to institute a lottery to get in. It is definitely a challenging race to put on in NYC, but it was extremely well run for many years --- they've just had a string of hot weather in the past few years. They could still find a weekend for the race, this is just a new organization that doesnt care to put in a little effort. I'm sorry, it's just a lame excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
NYC Triathlon has been held for over 22 years now, and last year attracted over 2k racers. Many pro athletes race it, including Tim O'Donnell last year. It is iconic because you get to swim in the Hudson, ride your bike along the West Side highway, then run in Central Park.
In past years the demand so high they had to institute a lottery to get in. It is definitely a challenging race to put on in NYC, but it was extremely well run for many years --- they've just had a string of hot weather in the past few years. They could still find a weekend for the race, this is just a new organization that doesnt care to put in a little effort. I'm sorry, it's just a lame excuse.

Didn't the lotteries drop off shortly after they had a few years of shortened courses in a row? Iirc 2017 was still a lottery and they had ~3.3k people complete (I believe closer to 4k signed up). I have to imagine the economics are a lot tougher if they don't fill the race fully.

The tidal nature of the Hudson makes alternative dates tricky if they're aiming for only a Sunday date, but a little surprising they couldn't find something in early/mid-October that would at least be a closer to neutral current. Although, I'm sure then they'd get a lot of people complaining that they weren't "swimming" close to 1:00/100m for the whole 1500m.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They've been running the swim against the current the last few years because of construction at 79th boat basin, I think that has spooked a lot of people. Although you still get the tide, you're not doing it in 15 minutes... They said they have a weekend in July, they should just take it. The race starts at 6 am, it's over for most people by 10am. Even when they shortened it, it was still not that hot at 10am. And you can always do the bike, just shorten the run for late starters. Bottom line, they just bailed on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
They've been running the swim against the current the last few years because of construction at 79th boat basin, I think that has spooked a lot of people. Although you still get the tide, you're not doing it in 15 minutes... They said they have a weekend in July, they should just take it. The race starts at 6 am, it's over for most people by 10am. Even when they shortened it, it was still not that hot at 10am. And you can always do the bike, just shorten the run for late starters. Bottom line, they just bailed on it.

The race started at 6am for pros and elites but the years I did it I was in the last two waves to go and we started quite late. It got hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:

What, you don't think the city of NY is having budget problems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure what the location has to do with current, the Hudson is a Tidal Estuary, triathlons can be scheduled with the tides to be down current no matter the locations used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:

Contrary to what you probably hear in the rest of the country, no, NY is not having any more or less budget problems than they've always had.

It's become insidious how everything these day devolves into a political debate. I'm discussing a triathlon race, why do you feel the need to slam NYC.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
not sure what the location has to do with current, the Hudson is a Tidal Estuary, triathlons can be scheduled with the tides to be down current no matter the locations used.

I mentioned the location because it used to be run downstream with the current AND the tide. Bag of Doritos did it in 17 minutes. But now they run it the other way, upstream but still with the tides -- they just have to time it so that morning of the race the tide is going out, and there are only a few weekends when that works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:

Contrary to what you probably hear in the rest of the country, no, NY is not having any more or less budget problems than they've always had.

It's become insidious how everything these day devolves into a political debate. I'm discussing a triathlon race, why do you feel the need to slam NYC.

I always enjoy these arrogant and completely wrong posts. Yes, NYC is having massive financial issues (not surprising given how much revenue has walked out the door to other states since COVID hit) and the runaway spending. When the mayor calls it a crisis, I will go with him over you:

https://www.thecity.nyc/...s-nyc-budget-crisis/

I don't know how that ties into whether Super League should or should not host a race this year but you should get your facts right. I also found it comical that you think running in Central Park is "iconic" when anyone who lives in NYC does it every day and there is a race there every weekend (including the CP Tri and its pool swim, which has been around for 39 years).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
TriNSki wrote:

I mentioned the location because it used to be run downstream with the current AND the tide. Bag of Doritos did it in 17 minutes. But now they run it the other way, upstream but still with the tides -- they just have to time it so that morning of the race the tide is going out, and there are only a few weekends when that works.
you still don't get it.. there is no discernable "river current" at manhattan in the hudson, it's a tidal estuary up to and past Albany where it hits the first hydroelectric facility just north of Troy. That bag of doritos will cover the same distance "upstream" on the incoming tide at manhattan.. They usually run the few events to coincide with slack to down current tides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:

I'm literally lol'ing at your second paragraph. I merely made a factual statement that NYC is having budget shortfalls, with the implication that it's a possibility that they would cut back on services provided to the race promoters as a contributing factor in the decision to cancel the race, and YOU decide that it was a political statement and/or intended to slam NYC. Like you said, lots of cities are having problems, so you should appreciate that it wasn't a knock on NYC, just a statement of fact.

The insidious devolution into politics started with you.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having swum and rowed a crew shell against it, there is a noticeable current near Manhattan. Over 2 minute slower against vs with the current in a 2k row. Just my $0.02

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
abenz wrote:
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:

I always enjoy these arrogant and completely wrong posts. Yes, NYC is having massive financial issues (not surprising given how much revenue has walked out the door to other states since COVID hit) and the runaway spending. When the mayor calls it a crisis, I will go with him over you:

https://www.thecity.nyc/...s-nyc-budget-crisis/

I don't know how that ties into whether Super League should or should not host a race this year but you should get your facts right. I also found it comical that you think running in Central Park is "iconic" when anyone who lives in NYC does it every day and there is a race there every weekend (including the CP Tri and its pool swim, which has been around for 39 years).

There you go, bring in Covid, and revenue walking out the door, and runaway spending. You dont think that's a political point of view? Sheesh, read the article you posted: "Such gaps are not unprecedented."

But back to the race, it's iconic because you swim in the Hudson and ride on the West Side Highway which is closed for bikers. And 3k racers finishing in CP. The entirety of the race is uniquely New York.
Actually I raced in that first NYC tri totally in Central Park, a sprint with the swim in the pool. They havent run it in a few years because of the renovation going on of the pool. It was a short, fun race, but the NYC Tri has always been the triathlon to do in NYC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:

I'm literally lol'ing at your second paragraph. I merely made a factual statement that NYC is having budget shortfalls, with the implication that it's a possibility that they would cut back on services provided to the race promoters as a contributing factor in the decision to cancel the race, and YOU decide that it was a political statement and/or intended to slam NYC. Like you said, lots of cities are having problems, so you should appreciate that it wasn't a knock on NYC, just a statement of fact.

No, read the article I posted, the organizers said they were working with the city, trying to find a date. Nothing to do with the city or budgets. If anything SuperTri would probably lose money on a smaller turnout so they cancelled the race. This race was extremely well run before Lifetime took it over, this is just total mismanagement, with no real communications from SuperTri. I've reached out to them but have heard nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you obviously are somehow affiliated with the nyc tri so why don't you just say it? the race was not "extremely well run" in the early years as many people almost died in the first year when the swim was held far out in an enormous current so many people were unable to make it over to the exit ramp and had to be plucked by the NYPD in boats before they reached the Statue of Liberty. the run course constantly changes to the point that it feels like every year the run course is different. entrant numbers dwindled to i think below 1,000 total and the race almost went under. it has been sold multiple times (nautica had it at one point too) and now is known more as a bucket list race for people who want to say they did a race in nyc. it also should be noted that it not only historically gives no support to pros (in terms of transportation or accommodations) but it also usually does not even announce who the pros are so the public has no idea who is racing. it's hard to attract good pros if any prize money they earn will just be offset by the costs of doing the race.

i want the race to make it because it's great having a race in nyc but it has hardly been the gem you want others to believe it is.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon cancelled [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not affiliated with them in any way, other than I have raced a dozen times. I just asked a friend and he helped me remember -- John Korff started it and ran it for many years. Nautica was just a sponsor. But John was great, you could always get him on the phone, he would help athletes personally with various issues, etc.... He really cultivated the event. He also organized the one and only NYC Ironman race, which I also raced and thought was great. But it was a huge challenge to put that race on, and Ironman never ran it again for financial reasons. Also too bad.

That was my only point, I just think they could have made more an effort to keep this race on the calendar because its great having a tri in nyc. One guy can make it happen, now it just seems corporate took over and they dont care about NY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:

Anyone find it interesting that SuperLeague err SuperTri has bought a bunch of "iconic" races and are running into issues with many of them. Sucks that a company that is a triathlon company that wants to grow the sport vs gym memberships is just hitting a bunch of walls. Also, if they asked me I would have told them to avoid NYC...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:
Mudge wrote:
abenz wrote:

No, read the article I posted, the organizers said they were working with the city, trying to find a date. Nothing to do with the city or budgets. If anything SuperTri would probably lose money on a smaller turnout so they cancelled the race. This race was extremely well run before Lifetime took it over, this is just total mismanagement, with no real communications from SuperTri. I've reached out to them but have heard nothing.

That's fine and dandy, but... you hadn't posted the link when I made my first comment AND my most recent comment had f' all of nothing to do with the race itself, but rather I was laughing at you complaining about this somehow devolving into a political debate. Up until you made that comment, there was nothing political about the various posts. You started the very thing you were complaining about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I raced in that first NYC tri totally in Central Park, a sprint with the swim in the pool.//

The first NY city triathlon was held in 1983 I believe, it was called the Crystal Lite Triathlon. It was a huge pro race with about $50k in prize money, and had network TV coverage. We swam from the Liberty statue, and then rode on a closed 3 lane fwy out and back, then ran in Central Park. For me and all the other pros, it was an iconic course, when the hell other time would you ever get to do that stuff on that course? I think Sally Edwards was hired as the RD, not sure who the owners were.

But there were issues, we all had to get 3 different shots with proof. before we could race. Typhoid, Tetanus, and Gamagloblin I think they were. That water back then was pretty nasty, but mostly we paid no mind to that kind of stuff as long as we got paid. I guess that is why no swims were ever cancelled back then, you just swam in whatever water they gave you on the day, and it just wasn't even a thought not to swim..

And as I recall, didnt Bill Burke have something to do with future NY triathlons? Maybe someone else from the area remembers. I think in the long run, it is just too costly to put on a race there and too many hoops one has to jump through, although a guy like Bill probably slides through those hoops pretty easily...

Edit to add: First big pro race, for sure there were small local triathlons in NY before this...Not sure if there were any in or around this venue though.

Last edited by: monty: Feb 20, 24 8:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next