Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:
Why not? I have a personal preference to keeping a set of wheels I only use for races.

Because I donā€™t understand why someone would spend that much on a wheelset and keep them in their garage except for a few times/year.

What about those people who have an entire dedicated race bike if they only use for races šŸ˜± yikes

Right total waste. If you have untold income, fine. But equipment is meant to be used.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:
Why not? I have a personal preference to keeping a set of wheels I only use for races.

Because I donā€™t understand why someone would spend that much on a wheelset and keep them in their garage except for a few times/year.

What about those people who have an entire dedicated race bike if they only use for races šŸ˜± yikes

Right total waste. If you have untold income, fine. But equipment is meant to be used.

Equipment is meant to be used for its rightful purpose.

One doesn't drive nails with the butt of a screwdriver handle just because it's in the tool box.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:

One doesn't drive nails with the butt of a screwdriver handle just because it's in the tool box.

Umm yeah. Iā€™m not arguing that bikes and wheels are meant to ride across the ocean. I assume you arenā€™t arguing that bikes and wheels arenā€™t meant to be used for cycling.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 29, 24 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:

Umm yeah. Iā€™m not arguing that bikes and wheels are meant to ride across the ocean. I assume you arenā€™t arguing that bikes and wheels arenā€™t meant to be used for cycling.

I'm arguing that various bikes have different purposes, and should be ridden primarily for those purposes. If someone has race wheels or a race bike that they don't train on, who are you to judge that it's a "right total waste"? FWIW, you have it twisted. If you have limited income, you don't risk destroying your race gear by frequent use.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [AndyDawson01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyDawson01 wrote:

This is a good idea. I learned it hard way. Went to a bike rally with a rear disc wheel, crashed and buckled Zipp Super 9. Definitely, I should have kept it for races and used training wheels but back then, I didnā€™t have any extra wheels for training purpose. I do a lot of races in a year so disc wheel gets used a lot. Ended up spending a lot of money to buy another one.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Michaelatkison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michaelatkison wrote:
HED, in my experience, has exceptional customer service and an American made product that is outstanding. Call them and see what they can do for you.

+1 for HED. My Vanquish wheel set has been one of my best bike-related purchases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:

I'm arguing that various bikes have different purposes, and should be ridden primarily for those purposes. If someone has race wheels or a race bike that they don't train on, who are you to judge that it's a "right total waste"? FWIW, you have it twisted. If you have limited income, you don't risk destroying your race gear by frequent use.

Agreed. One doesn't do all their running in carbon plated race shoes....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:

Got it. Agree to disagree that bike equipment should become museum pieces. Iā€™ve never once ā€œdestroyedā€ a bike wheel by merely using it for its intended purpose.

At least for me, this is a decision in economics. I wouldnā€™t have an issue buying carbon plates run shoes for $300 and limiting use. I limit use of my trisuits to very limited training and races. But for me, when it comes to a pricey wheelset, I personally choose to enjoy them as much as possible. To each his own.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 29, 24 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:

Loop

Got it. Agree to disagree that bike equipment should become museum pieces. Iā€™ve never once ā€œdestroyedā€ a bike wheel by merely using it for its intended purpose.

At least for me, this is a decision in economics. I wouldnā€™t have an issue buying carbon plates run shoes for $300 and limiting use. I limit use of my trisuits to very limited training and races. But for me, when it comes to a pricey wheelset, I personally choose to enjoy them as much as possible. To each his own.

I guess weā€™re in agreement. I donā€™t think bike equipment should become museum pieces, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a rim brake bike, riding a set of trainers made sense as braking could be poor especially in wet mountains roads on carbon. With disc brake bikes, I donā€™t see a reason to have multiple sets for a tri bike. No Iā€™m not gonna ride a rear disc everyday but I will run an 80 deep DT Swiss. I donā€™t think you can beat the work done by the guys at Swiss side. That being said, I will buy a wheelsfar disc because I canā€™t see spending more than $1k on a rear wheel I only ride a few times per year for .5 watts difference IF THATā€¦
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure of the ETRTO standards for 2024 on bike wheels but I do know they are moving wider & many such as Zipp are not quite on the internal width game plan from what I understand. DT Swiss is a "trending brand" much like Enve was a few years ago. Hard to go wrong with quality like HED but some don't like spoked disc wheels & the no-"whomp whomp sound effect" of HEDs...which really has zero effect on the performance itself. However, one to also look at that is getting good reviews is a newer company called "LIGHT BICYCLE" wheels. They are Chinese & not to be confused with "Lightweight" wheels (the uber exclusive overly priced brand from Germany). But the internal widths of the LIGHT brand are current and one of the wider ones you'll find out there. Zipps are quite narrow on the internal width.

Zipps are due for a price reduction in their wheels to keep pace I think...overpriced for sure. DT Swiss / Suisseside are not a whole lot better in price. Better or as good of wheels out there for much less. I'd check out LIGHT and very much check out HED. Sam Laidlow rides HED, Armstrong rode HED, the Big Four rode HED. Has to be fast right? Lionel rides HED.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jan 30, 24 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, how on earth Zipp (Sram..) or DT Swiss justify their prices is bewildering! It's not as if there is any research and development costs to cover...oh wait yeah, they mimicked a 150 ton whale that travel 5 mph through water for their latest wheels that were absolute rubbish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was looking at new race wheels last year I really wanted the Parcours disc/chronic set ($2100) but the DB disc was forever backordered. Both have wide internal and external rim width to flush fit 28mm tires. Something many companies don't offer for disc wheel.

I ultimately got three wheels from three different manufacturers - 80mm DT Swiss, Revolver trispoke clone for front and Prime disc wheel. After looking at retired technology HED and Zipp disc wheels collecting dust in my garage there was no way I was going to spend a lot for a DB disc.

The trispoke/disc has been an outstanding combination for windy races.

Have fun with your new bike! Post a picture when you get it set up.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What tire are you running in the Prime Disc please?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
What tire are you running in the Prime Disc please?

Last season 25mm Goodyear Eagle F1 SS R tlc with Vittoria Airliner. About the same RR as gp5000 tl but easier to mount and fits Airliner in case of blowout. I may use something different this season.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anyone tried Parcours?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipp80 wrote:
Is anyone tried Parcours?

I wonā€™t dilute the overall debate here but happy to help if you have any specific questions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you want a like new set of HED race wheels, tubeless compatible, at a steep discount:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=hed#p8069890
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
_canadian wrote:
Michaelatkison wrote:
HED, in my experience, has exceptional customer service and an American made product that is outstanding. Call them and see what they can do for you.

+1 for HED. My Vanquish wheel set has been one of my best bike-related purchases.

+2 for HED.
Vanquish 4's on my road bike
Vanquish 8's on my TT bike (+ Vanquish Disc for race day)
Ardennes on my wife's road bike

I've had experience with the Jet Black+ line on my last TT bike as well

Every single wheel was fantastic. Not one issue with the lot of them.
Cheaper, better quality, most are made in the USA.
(and I think if you searched this forum, you'd find that they actually test fastest anyway)
Quote Reply

Prev Next