Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New bike - now which wheels!
Quote | Reply
Patiently waiting on a new Trek SC… considering some different options on wheels. Experience with Zipp 454/858 and the Super-9 disc. But super curious on others thoughts for comparables with HED or Swisside? Any opinions / experience here?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [AndyDawson01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Zipp wheels, disc and 858 and a couple of Chinese made cheap training wheels. Zipp wheels are overrated in my opinion. Some wheels are not as expensive as Zipp but faster. I’m sure other people will chime in but my advice is don’t get caught up on name brand like I did. I was a newb and I thought name brand wheels are absolutely faster than other wheels. Unfortunately, I didn’t know Slowtwitch back then and had no one to helped me. Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for an all around set out just race day only?

I'd agree with the comment above regarding zipp. Perfectly fine wheels, but there are so many options that are great now that kind of makes it hard to justify Zipp prices.

HED, Hunt, and others are all really good with slightly lower price points. If you want to go the route of off brand generic, there are a lot of china direct options that have compelling value, but with less flare and possibly service.

I think the bigger thing is rim width and depth. I'd be looking for a pair with an internal width of at least 21mm. Front wheel 60-80mm. Rear 75-full disc. Wheels and tires are going wider.... So best not to be way behind.
Last edited by: wildh24: Jan 28, 24 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - looking for race wheels, and I’ll also grab a full disc as well - or at least will take a look at them. Racing on mainly 70.3 courses, some rolling hills, some flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyDawson01 wrote:
Thanks - looking for race wheels, and I’ll also grab a full disc as well - or at least will take a look at them. Racing on mainly 70.3 courses, some rolling hills, some flats.

Are you keeping the stock bontrager for training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s the plan yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many options. So many great options.

My GF and I ride Aerocoach, Zephyr fronts and she has the standard read disc and I have the lighter ultra version. We have one Zephr rear also.

If I was buying a new set today I’d most likely buy Princeton and then Swisside.

Money isn’t a factor, so I’m not looking for value, looking at solely what I want to ride.

Also, if wondering, we both ride P5D and are located in the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I have Zipp wheels, disc and 858 and a couple of Chinese made cheap training wheels. Zipp wheels are overrated in my opinion. Some wheels are not as expensive as Zipp but faster. I’m sure other people will chime in but my advice is don’t get caught up on name brand like I did. I was a newb and I thought name brand wheels are absolutely faster than other wheels. Unfortunately, I didn’t know Slowtwitch back then and had no one to helped me. Good luck!!

^^^this

Unless you have money to burn I wouldn't bother. At the very least buy second hand. I have a $800 rear disc and would bet good money it is no slower than a $3k zipp or Dt Swiss
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
So many options. So many great options.

My GF and I ride Aerocoach, Zephyr fronts and she has the standard read disc and I have the lighter ultra version. We have one Zephr rear also.

If I was buying a new set today I’d most likely buy Princeton and then Swisside.

Money isn’t a factor, so I’m not looking for value, looking at solely what I want to ride.

Also, if wondering, we both ride P5D and are located in the USA.

The Princeton options are interesting. Would love to see the data on the new offerings.

You bring up a point on this in terms of cost. To the OP, it kind of depends on your budget and/or your objectives. I could afford the super high end stuff but personally just can't overcome my value bias in things, and always end up sourcing rims and building myself. For the first time I just ordered a pre built set of Ali from a seller that was very good on the communication side. For $1400 (on sale and small package deal) was able to buy a 65F/75R carbon spoke build AND a rear disc. Star ratchet hubs with ceramic bearings (common sized bearings so easy swap if they are poor quality).

So again, I think it depends on what you want to spend or are trying to achieve. I wouldn't compromise on the rim specs though. 21 internal minimum width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED, in my experience, has exceptional customer service and an American made product that is outstanding. Call them and see what they can do for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wildh24 wrote:
I could afford the super high end stuff but personally just can't overcome my value bias in things, and always end up sourcing rims and building myself.

The 24 spoke front wheels on disc bikes would be a good thing to avoid think... But if you are value conscious, you might be on an old rim brake bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoeleo wheels have 2 sets for triathlon bikes thousands of miles 1/3 cost of zipp or enve from china in 4 weeks they are a tour France supplier…. Good people to deal with check them out on line
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
Yoeleo wheels have 2 sets for triathlon bikes thousands of miles 1/3 cost of zipp or enve from china in 4 weeks they are a tour France supplier…. Good people to deal with check them out on line

Who at the tour is riding Yoeleo ?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
wildh24 wrote:
I could afford the super high end stuff but personally just can't overcome my value bias in things, and always end up sourcing rims and building myself.

The 24 spoke front wheels on disc bikes would be a good thing to avoid think... But if you are value conscious, you might be on an old rim brake bike.

Yep...on a Gen 2 speed concept. 16 hole front. 😉

Are concerned about torque and needing more spokes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyDawson01 wrote:
That’s the plan yes

Why?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not? I have a personal preference to keeping a set of wheels I only use for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyDawson01 wrote:
Why not? I have a personal preference to keeping a set of wheels I only use for races.

Because I don’t understand why someone would spend that much on a wheelset and keep them in their garage except for a few times/year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyDawson01 wrote:

For sure. Would be nice! Just keep a set of training rubber on one and race rubber on the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wildh24 wrote:
Are concerned about torque and needing more spokes?

No, it just seems odd that nearly all the TT disc wheels appear to be poorly designed for their task. It's weird because... don't people still care about aero? Is anyone testing them? I understand that disc TT bikes are the thing now, and pretty much all you can buy, and that won't change anytime soon... but no one even seems to be trying to make them as good as they could be.

The main task difference is that the front disc wheel needs to handle braking torque. That might be a lot of torque too when braking is involved, but I question whether the potential of disc brakes is wasted on a TT bike. I've personally done an endo in a race when I was trying to stop to avoid a crash. That was with old Campy Record sidepulls, that absolutely suck for braking power compared to modern caliper brakes. But still if it's properly adjusted and you grab them hard, a forward endo-faceplant is the result... just physics. Where it's nice to have powerful brakes is when you need to use them a lot for a long time... and having the braking force not heat up your rim/tube/tire is sensible. So on MTBs and maybe road bikes it makes sense. On TT... not so much...

Sorry, I'm drifting. The task is making the TT disc front wheel handle braking torque while being as aero as possible. Torque is lever arm and force, simple enough. So triplet lacing with a big flange with tangential lacing on the disc side will do this the best, with the least stuff churning in the breeze. And yet I see 24 spoke small flange front hubs even by the big manufacturers. Zipp uses 20 spokes, but still small flange hubs... and they even radial lace the non-disc side even though the hub is beefy enough to transmit a good amount of torque.

The only sensible one I've seen is the Specialized Roval. Triplet lacing with a big DS flange, and radial on the little NDS flange, 14-7. Maybe not perfect, but at least they put some thought into it, while I'm not sure what the other companies are doing... but it looks like they are using off the shelf MTB hubs...

Last edited by: rruff: Jan 28, 24 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having had many of the name brands you've listed (no knock offs as I treasure my life) I really would look long and hard at Swissside. JP Ballard does incredible work and these wheels are amazing. I have a couple of sets and you really will not do better than Swissside or DT Swiss. Hubs, wheels, cutting edge and up to date aero tested products make them a buy worth every penny.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is project one it may be too late, but could have been worth the wheel upgrade to the aeolus 75’s? They are a fine wheelset. That’s what I did
And run them for club races and smaller events. Bugger races I bought a dt swiss disc for. I have had zipp in the past. They are ok but meh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I went the 'easy' way and went for the Bonty RSL 75s. Add in my Roval CLX IIs from my road bike and I'm covered for the options I need there.

By all accounts the RSLs handle well with crosswinds too (like the CLX) and for me then that is bar far the most impactful part of the wheels compared to any otehr similar in terms of aero - the additional time I'm down on the aero bars will offset any microsecond speed difference between the wheels.

And as a bonus the bontys were incredibly good value compared to anything else I could have bought.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got ya now. Yeah I can definitely see your point. I wear thinking you were advocating needing more than 24 spokes on the front... In which I was scratching my head a bit.

I had one of the early sets of Reynolds 20 hole xc MTB wheels on a cdale lefty. It was flexy and problematic. I voted to never do less 28 on a MTB wheel again.... But that's a bet different beast.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - now which wheels! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
AndyDawson01 wrote:

Because I don’t understand why someone would spend that much on a wheelset and keep them in their garage except for a few times/year.

What about those people who have an entire dedicated race bike if they only use for races 😱 yikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wildh24 wrote:
I had one of the early sets of Reynolds 20 hole xc MTB wheels on a cdale lefty. It was flexy and problematic. I voted to never do less 28 on a MTB wheel again.... But that's a bet different beast.

The deep aero rims are completely different... heck the structure is such that wheels with only 3 spokes (big carbon spokes, but still...) have worked very well for decades. You do still need good lateral bracing and stiffness, but there is plenty of space in 100mm dropouts to achieve that with less than 24 Cx-ray size spokes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next