Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [ElGordito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElGordito wrote:
Generally related swim time improvement question that has been "weighing" on me heavily of late... I am currently at my historical weight maximum of ~180lbs which is around 10% over my weight point a few years back and roughly 20% above my "race weight" of ~145lbs back in the day (I even saw sub 140 a few times). At this weight point, I have been swimming more and focusing relatively more on my swimming (usually 3 times per week and around 9,000 total, give or take). I swam an "aerobic" 400 today in 6:10 and I would say (generally speaking) 1:25/100 is my fast 100 pace. 1:30-32/100 is my moderate pace. And 1:34-36/100 is my 1,650 pace in the pool (all SCY). So, I have wondered, if I got back down to 160-65, what kind of speed improvement could I reasonably expect, all other things being equal? Or (wishful thinking) back down to 145? Does anyone have any personal experience with the relationship between weight loss and swim speed increase in the pool over, say 4-6 months or something?

Like when your technique didn't noticeably change or improve and your weekly yardage stayed pretty consistent as you lost weight from dietary modifications or increase cycling/running or other activities? If there was 10% less of me to pull, could I expect my 1:32/100 to drop a linear 10 sec/100 to ~1:23 ish? When I retired as a bike racer and rode less and ate more the following year (but was still riding some and in pretty good condition), I noticed on my favorite/main 10 min test climb, that as I gained 10% more weight from 145 to 160, my time for the same perceived hard effort went from almost always around 10 min to 11 min (exactly parallel with the weight gain).

But I'm assuming this isn't the case in the swimming pool for a variety of reasons. But I would be curious if anyone has plotted how their swim speed increased or correlated directly with weight loss (or, conversely, weight gain). In my swim "dream world", I like to imagine that if I got back to 145 lbs, my 1:32/100 pace would be all the way down to 1:12 with the same intensity (ha-ha). I'm sure just the increased drag at higher speeds would negate that kind of gain, not to mention that the swimmer's weight is supported by buoyancy, right? I have seen some rather rotund older swimmers who are still really fast in the pool most of whom were ex-collegiate swimmers. But I have never seen someone with a similar looking "beer belly" build fly up a hard climb on their bike at a comparble level. Any thoughts or data points to share?

From a standpoint of physics, in particular how the propulsive power needed to overcome dissipation scales with speed and athlete weight, a pretty solid analogy is:

cycling hills:running :: cycling dead flat:swimming

In hill cycling and running, the athlete must dominantly work to move their body weight against gravity, and speed scales inversely with body weight and linearly with propulsive power.

In (dead) flat cycling and swimming, the athlete must dominantly work against fluid dynamic form drag -- the force of this drag scales as the product of the square of the speed, the fluid density, the drag coefficient, and the frontal area. The power required to overcome this drag adds an additional factor of speed and thus scales as the cube of the speed. Drag coefficient x Frontal area, or CdA, depends weakly on weight, especially for swimming where body positioning, streamlining, and flexibility can easily overcome added pounds (see: aquatic mammals!). Speed thus scales as the cube root of propulsive power generated, as the inverse cube root of CdA, and the inverse cube root of the fluid density (air ~1000 times less dense than water -> ~10x faster).

There are (at least) a few caveats here:
i) Technique importance shares more similarity in running and swimming, since it is not so easy in either to convert work done to effective propulsive work, as it is in cycling.
ii) weight often matters even in mostly flat cycling because acceleration is a major factor in winning many types of cycling races, and the power to accelerate your body to a certain speed scales with weight. (also sprinters in grand tours need to be lean enough to make it through the mountains at all!)
iii) wave drag starts to become important at higher swim speeds, and the drag force scales even faster with speed than the square of the speed. There is nothing akin to this in cycling or running.
iv) Aerodynamic drag starts to matter for the fastest runners and limits top speeds a bit / makes it very hard to run 10m/s!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the very thoughtful and astute insights and "fa(c)t bombs" (ha-ha?)! Yes, as Gary Hall Jr. has astutely and succinctly noted, in swimming "drag Trumps force". That said, I have to believe that even if (proverbially) "fat floats" and every marine MAMIL of note is rotund, if I were to drop a significant amount of weight, all other things being roughly equal, I would (I hope!) pick up at least some seconds per 100 at the same perceived effort!

I'm not a great swimmer by any means but reasonably fit for my age (fat pad notwithstanding). I have basically 3 spds. Slow/sustainable up to 2000y which is around 1:35-1:37/100. Moderate which is around 1:30-32/100 depending on the day (sustainable to 500y). And "fast" which I can only really hold for 50-100 y (1:20-25/100). Here is the weird thing I have found about swim drag that sort of defies physics and logic. Only in my "fast" mode (mainly in 50s), I develop a swim speed level and stroke rate + slightly stronger kick, all of which combines to make me much more level with the surface and (weirdly) feels like much LESS drag than my slow/sustainable pace. When I bog down to 1:35 +/100, my whole body position is lower and less efficient and it actually feels harder than the faster pace. I don't have the fitness or technique to hold 40-42 sec 50s for more than 50y (I can "kill"myself for a low 1:20/100), but those 50s feel like way less drag than my more relaxed "slow" pace.

So, is it possible that even though I am generating exponentially more drag at 40 sec/100 than 48 sec/100, if my "momentum" and stroke rate keeps me much higher in the water and incurring less drag when swimming "max", that there actually is less drag for me overall (in my case personally, at least, due to my poor/ad hoc technique) as I go faster versus my relaxed swimming at lower speeds???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElGordito wrote:
Thanks so much for the very thoughtful and astute insights and "fa(c)t bombs" (ha-ha?)! Yes, as Gary Hall Jr. has astutely and succinctly noted, in swimming "drag Trumps force". That said, I have to believe that even if (proverbially) "fat floats" and every marine MAMIL of note is rotund, if I were to drop a significant amount of weight, all other things being roughly equal, I would (I hope!) pick up at least some seconds per 100 at the same perceived effort!

I'm not a great swimmer by any means but reasonably fit for my age (fat pad notwithstanding). I have basically 3 spds. Slow/sustainable up to 2000y which is around 1:35-1:37/100. Moderate which is around 1:30-32/100 depending on the day (sustainable to 500y). And "fast" which I can only really hold for 50-100 y (1:20-25/100). Here is the weird thing I have found about swim drag that sort of defies physics and logic. Only in my "fast" mode (mainly in 50s), I develop a swim speed level and stroke rate + slightly stronger kick, all of which combines to make me much more level with the surface and (weirdly) feels like much LESS drag than my slow/sustainable pace. When I bog down to 1:35 +/100, my whole body position is lower and less efficient and it actually feels harder than the faster pace. I don't have the fitness or technique to hold 40-42 sec 50s for more than 50y (I can "kill"myself for a low 1:20/100), but those 50s feel like way less drag than my more relaxed "slow" pace.

So, is it possible that even though I am generating exponentially more drag at 40 sec/100 than 48 sec/100, if my "momentum" and stroke rate keeps me much higher in the water and incurring less drag when swimming "max", that there actually is less drag for me overall (in my case personally, at least, due to my poor/ad hoc technique) as I go faster versus my relaxed swimming at lower speeds???
The short answer/solution that's been around for-ever. Is to ingrain that fitness and technique with lots of short efforts (aka intervals) over a long period of time to get to the point where going a little slower is both easier AND faster than before.
That's why swimming slow only will NEVER make a swimmer fast.
The above requires frequency, faith, dedication and time; measured in years.
a good group and coach helps
I'd add, if the work isn't enjoyable, success will be elusive. Make it enjoyable.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if the extra 20 lbs is all fat?

How much frontal area does that add VS added buoyancy and added strength?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 14, 23 5:17
Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
What if the extra 20 lbs is all fat?

How much frontal area does that add VS added buoyancy and added strength?

A rough answer:

Assume that your body is like a cylinder and that you add to your diameter but not your height when you add fat. +20 lb on a 160 lb athlete would mean about a +20/160 = +12.5% increase in diameter and thus Cd*A if your Cd stayed the same; in reality the changes might be bigger or smaller than this because Cd could increase or decrease too (I'm not sure which way this goes). This would correspond to about a 4% drop in speed, or 4 s/100m for an athlete who swims 100m in 1:40. That's a bigger deal than I thought it would be!

Fatty tissue is about 90% as dense as water so the added fat would add about 2 lb of buoyancy. How does that affect speed? We can compare to a known source of added buoyancy: wetsuits. Per my reasoning in post 10 of this thread: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...resh_water_P8011950/, a wetsuit is about 10 lb added buoyancy. If that translates to 5-10 s faster per 100m, then the 2lb of added buoyancy from putting on 20 lb fat would be about 1-2 s faster per 100m.

So, assuming 20lb fat is no added strength, a ballpark answer is that a 160 lb athlete who swims 1:40/100m would get ~2-3s slower per 100m by adding 20 lb of fat.
Last edited by: twcronin: Dec 14, 23 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so freaking awesome that you know all this

😎

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElGordito wrote:

(I think you mean 40 s/50 and 48 s/50 in the last paragraph!)

Theoretically, this would be about 44% higher form drag force at your "fast" pace relative to your "slow" one, IF Cd*A were held fixed. You're right that it's likely not fixed, and it seems you probably get your legs higher up in the water and generate less drag with them when you go fast, so your Cd*A probably goes down. It seems unlikely that you reduce Cd*A by as much as 44%, but it's not impossible depending on how low your legs sag in the water when you go slow.

(Note: it's also possible that your form drag *force* goes down slightly, but the *power* needed to do work against form drag goes up, since power is force times speed.)

It's evidently more work for you to swim fast, so you are clearly expending more energy against something even if your frontal drag force (or more strikingly, power!) did go down -- my guess would be that your kick is costing you a lot of work and is not very efficient in terms of propulsive force. Do you swim faster with a pull buoy?

Another reason that you may feel smoother / less prone to drag when you go fast is that your head develops a bow wave as you go faster and makes it easier to breathe with less head turning. Less head turning and lifting has huge benefits elsewhere in the stroke, so what feels like less drag might be triggered by less auxiliary movement from breathing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
ElGordito wrote:

(I think you mean 40 s/50 and 48 s/50 in the last paragraph!)

Theoretically, this would be about 44% higher form drag force at your "fast" pace relative to your "slow" one, IF Cd*A were held fixed. You're right that it's likely not fixed, and it seems you probably get your legs higher up in the water and generate less drag with them when you go fast, so your Cd*A probably goes down. It seems unlikely that you reduce Cd*A by as much as 44%, but it's not impossible depending on how low your legs sag in the water when you go slow.

(Note: it's also possible that your form drag *force* goes down slightly, but the *power* needed to do work against form drag goes up, since power is force times speed.)

It's evidently more work for you to swim fast, so you are clearly expending more energy against something even if your frontal drag force (or more strikingly, power!) did go down -- my guess would be that your kick is costing you a lot of work and is not very efficient in terms of propulsive force. Do you swim faster with a pull buoy?

Another reason that you may feel smoother / less prone to drag when you go fast is that your head develops a bow wave as you go faster and makes it easier to breathe with less head turning. Less head turning and lifting has huge benefits elsewhere in the stroke, so what feels like less drag might be triggered by less auxiliary movement from breathing.

Minor quibble with your last paragraph: actually, the bow wave is present even at slow speeds and there is absolutely no need to lift the head or turn the face to the sky/ceiling to breathe at any speed. Apparently many new-ish swimmers just can not believe this, possibly b/c they so desperately want to be sure they get each breath. One tip to take full advantage of the bow wave: instead of looking straight at the pool deck beside you, look backwards as much as you can; this will slightly elevate your mouth above the water and make breathing a bit easier.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
no need to lift the head or turn the face to the sky/ceiling to breathe at any speed.

Funny you should mention it, I just posted a video on that very movement issue and how it impacts the efficiency of the pull pattern...

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Quote:
no need to lift the head or turn the face to the sky/ceiling to breathe at any speed.

Funny you should mention it, I just posted a video on that very movement issue and how it impacts the efficiency of the pull pattern...

Tim

Well ya, I see this almost every day at my pool. So many either lifting head or turning head so far up that they can literally see the ceiling/sky, which of course makes the swimmer essentially stop in the water just to get the breath. They could be so much smoother and more efficient if they could just learn to "believe in the bow wave".

Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
SnappingT wrote:
Quote:

Tim

Well ya, I see this almost every day at my pool. So many either lifting head or turning head so far up that they can literally see the ceiling/sky, which of course makes the swimmer essentially stop in the water just to get the breath. They could be so much smoother and more efficient if they could just learn to "believe in the bow wave".

I did that when I first started. It was because I was going so slow that there was no bow wave and if I didn't, my mouth was still in the water.

Granted I didn't have a coach or teacher when I first started and didn't have fins or a pull buoy to use as a crutch. In hindsight those items would have helped me but I didn't know anything at all about swimming except what I read in books. Mainly "Total Immersion".

I wasn't arrogant and thought I knew everything, I just had to figure it out with no support. It took me about 4 months of swimming 3 to 5 days a week (I think less than 1000 yds per session cuz I was completely gassed by then) to figure the breathing thing out.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
SnappingT wrote:
Quote:

Tim

I did that when I first started. It was because I was going so slow that there was no bow wave and if I didn't, my mouth was still in the water.
Granted I didn't have a coach or teacher when I first started and didn't have fins or a pull buoy to use as a crutch. In hindsight those items would have helped me but I didn't know anything at all about swimming except what I read in books. Mainly "Total Immersion".
I wasn't arrogant and thought I knew everything, I just had to figure it out with no support. It took me about 4 months of swimming 3 to 5 days a week (I think less than 1000 yds per session cuz I was completely gassed by then) to figure the breathing thing out.

I'm glad you figured it out!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Swim progression - time and trajectory? [Jpro19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jpro19 wrote:
Question for the group:

Assuming one is training for an ironman, and regularly swimming 2-3x/week, how long would it take for them (generally speaking) to progress...

From 2:00min/100m to 1:50/100m?
1:50/100m to 1:40/100m?
1:40/100m to 1:30/100m?
Beyond?

Let's say adult swimmer, non-competitive swim background, generally athletic.
I'm not specifically asking about myself. I'm more curious about long how it takes for swim progression given good dedication and practice.
Months? Years?
This is my personal take as an AOS. I could swim as in not drown sort of thing but never on a swim team, competitive swimming, practice, etc.

Initially getting into the sport I was in that 2:00'sh/100 group as I joined a masters/intro to competitive swimming program. I then dropped to the 1:30 with a bit more with some masters work... mixture of form and fitness. The journey to 1:20 and below was a volume thing for me.

Swimming 2-3 times a week I'll just stay at the 1:20-1:30 pace. Swimming 4-5 times with yardage in the 15-20K range per week is where I feel like I'm able to race the swim. That's also months of solid dedication to that, in spite of me not loving to spend that amount of time in the water.

That's me though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next